Shipping Parts

-
I just shook my head...and to read his posts on here you would think hes meticulous. I didnt even look them over, just closed the box and put them on the shelf. If I ever rebuild the 273, I'll chk them over then.
Sorry About that Brother. That just sucks...sorry to elaborate on sore business

For the record, any member that has purchasdd from us may still be unwrapping the parts from last year lol. I don't mess around with shipping and appreciate when others pay me the same respect.

So...should we have a "would you have shipped this?" thread?

For the record, any member that has purchasdd from us may still be unwrapping the parts from last year lol. I don't mess around with shipping and appreciate when others pay me the same respect.

So...should we have a "would you have shipped this?" thread?
Did my package meet your approval

I purchased a set of used Commando pistons, and the ONLY packing was fuckin ziploc sandwich bags on each piston. I shoulda **** in each one and sent them back to this "reputable" member.

LOL….not at the situation but your response to it!!

….imaging his surprise opening that package!!

Had a 350 dollar shortwave receiver radio shipped in last Fall, cardboard box and a loose piece of fabric off to one side.

The bad part the stooge left the power cord plugged into the radio protruding out that could have easily been unplugged.

The power cord was jammed into the receptacle and broke it and dented the case.

Zipped tied it in temporarily. Then figured out how to repair the broken receptacle with Fiber Glass Resin, straightened the case.

Nice part was I did not have to get in and solder repair parts to a 1976 radio.

All is good now, wish they would have taken another 30 seconds to package it right.

20230125_214110.jpg

20230125_194206.jpg

20230125_214030.jpg

20230125_220142.jpg

post number 17. i bought upper control arms from him and had to use a metal detector to find them. hahahaha. his packaging filled up my 42 gallon trash can. i really appreciated that care. i try to put my stuff in a usps padded envelope the in another envelope or flat rate box. i also enjoy reading the newspaper that parts are packaged in.

there should be no excuse for insufficient packing material seeing that everybody probably has 10lbs of it underfoot at any given time due to the amount crap we all buy online!

terrible work by the seller, they should be embarrassed for sending it out like that.

Thus far, I've been pretty lucky with the classifieds here. I guess I'd just expected that to be the case with a bunch of people trading in sometimes-irreplaceable parts. EBay's another story. I bought a partial stereo in 2021 just to get one component. Dude had a low opening bid which I'm sure he expected to skyrocket. It didn't. Apparently it was my fault that nobody else bid, so he got salty while packing it. One layer of bubble wrap on the bottom, one on the top, and three components just sitting atop each other in a too-large box. It looked like it was delivered by the Memphis Belle--no thanks to slipshod taping with the cheapest tape possible--but luckily the Kenwood CD carousel that I didn't want absorbed all the damage.

I literally made my living for two years selling Mopar parts on eBay, so I've seen the havoc every shipping company can wreak and did my share of damage control ("Look at the label's weight--I assure you there was a Powr-Lok in the box when I shipped it."). Extra effort in packaging is still a lot less work than a freight claim. I rarely sell parts anymore. However, if I do advertise something you want, I assure you I already have a package in which it fits and it'll be protected it the way I'd expect to receive it.

Had a carb shipped to me pretty similar. At least he threw a couple of plastic bubbles to provide at least an illusion of packing.
Damage to the carb wasn't too bad but it still was damage, and the fuel feed - which was pretty valuable, was gone.
That was a big turn off from FABO and in particular FABO classifieds. Took a long time to overcome that.
View attachment 1716039572

View attachment 1716039574

For some reason the concept of packing so hobjects can't move around in the box seems to elude a few - that includes some on ebay and at least one of RockAuto's warehouses.

I got the same deal. carb in a flat rate box with MAYBE 4 sheets of newspaper crumpled up. Linkage was bent and coming off the shaft. People seem to think the services hand carry the package from point a to point B. LOL

Newspaper is fine if the item is somewhat light. If it has any mass, say goodnight to the paper being a good filler. The flat rate boxes are free and they make great filler when rolled up. Solid and secure.

If you shake the box and the stuff inside moves, you aren't done packing it!

post number 17. i bought upper control arms from him and had to use a metal detector to find them. hahahaha. his packaging filled up my 42 gallon trash can. i really appreciated that care. i try to put my stuff in a usps padded envelope the in another envelope or flat rate box. i also enjoy reading the newspaper that parts are packaged in.
rbkt65
Thank you for writing that.
You made my evening.
Got a good laugh out of that reply.

I got some disc brake spindles and other parts from a member here last year... they were wrapped in news paper and sticking out of the box when I got them.... bragged about having them all powder coated for me that was chipped to hell when I got them... I used to be the type to say something to someone... but after time I've just realized stupid people are usually too stupid to get it anyway.

I request that the sender excessively package the item and share experiences from the past.

I got a shipment of an NOS part from EBay.

Seller put the part into a plastic bag, not a paded bag, just a bag, no padding of any kind. When I got the part, a part of it was bent, it was very disappointing.

that the sender thought that a damageable part would be ok being shipped that way is behind me.

It's crazy, people make a sale and get the money in their hands. Then could care less how it shows up at your door. As the saying goes, just send it.

Have zero respect for people that say "Just Send It".

I request that the sender excessively package the item and share experiences from the past.

I got a shipment of an NOS part from EBay.

Seller put the part into a plastic bag, not a paded bag, just a bag, no padding of any kind. When I got the part, a part of it was bent, it was very disappointing.

that the sender thought that a damageable part would be ok being shipped that way is behind me.
At this point, I would have settled on a plastic bag. At least the nuts and bolts would still be with it. :BangHead:

the part I don't understand is why even risk having a problem with damaged parts?

the profit margin isn't huge when you sit down and consider all the time and energy to even get the part sold, then if you have a problem that's just more time and energy dealing with that whole situation. cutting right into your bottom line.

and if you don't handle that situation to the satisfaction of the buyer you risk your reputation as a seller. or, you eat the sale and shipping on a refund.

all that could be avoided easily with just a few extra minutes and attention to detail.

I've had the good fortune to work in places that ship expensive stuff frequently. One of our packers gave me crap for how I packed a personal package (I was young and naive), and he demonstrated. His wisdom was "if I can't stand on it, it won't make it".

SOP was lots of paper around the item. Pad the box well, wrapped item in the box, pack the box the rest of the way, then wrap the box in paper, second box gets layers of crumpled paper, first box into second box, pack with paper, crumpled over the top, lots of tape. Anything long and slender or sharp edged got its own attention with paper, foam, more cardboard, etc. Often, the second box got a separate layer of cardboard over the bottom flaps, and another on the closing side. If there are small parts, the first box goes into a trash bag in case of a breach.

Overkill is best kill. Also, we never had a claim denied, and damage was rare unless it a forklift punched it or ran it over. Some of these packages would hold tens of thousands of dollars worth of parts, so they tended to be careful.

Also, clear tape over the address or pack slip because that stuff blurs when it gets wet! We'd also mark the street name and number on all 6 sides. Helped more than once.

the part I don't understand is why even risk having a problem with damaged parts?

the profit margin isn't huge when you sit down and consider all the time and energy to even get the part sold, then if you have a problem that's just more time and energy dealing with that whole situation. cutting right into your bottom line.

and if you don't handle that situation to the satisfaction of the buyer you risk your reputation as a seller. or, you eat the sale and shipping on a refund.

all that could be avoided easily with just a few extra minutes and attention to detail.

Few people have experience shipping stuff. I bet it's ignorance more often than not.

In many areas, our regional carriers are pretty gentle. Some folks seem to have their packages routed through Baghdad...

I've had the good fortune to work in places that ship expensive stuff frequently. One of our packers gave me crap for how I packed a personal package (I was young and naive), and he demonstrated. His wisdom was "if I can't stand on it, it won't make it".

SOP was lots of paper around the item. Pad the box well, wrapped item in the box, pack the box the rest of the way, then wrap the box in paper, second box gets layers of crumpled paper, first box into second box, pack with paper, crumpled over the top, lots of tape. Anything long and slender or sharp edged got its own attention with paper, foam, more cardboard, etc. Often, the second box got a separate layer of cardboard over the bottom flaps, and another on the closing side. If there are small parts, the first box goes into a trash bag in case of a breach.

Overkill is best kill. Also, we never had a claim denied, and damage was rare unless it a forklift punched it or ran it over. Some of these packages would hold tens of thousands of dollars worth of parts, so they tended to be careful.

Also, clear tape over the address or pack slip because that stuff blurs when it gets wet! We'd also mark the street name and number on all 6 sides. Helped more than once.
Whenever my parents send me stuff they always make sure there is an address on each layer, in case the package sheds one during transport (not unheard off)

Only issue I ever had was with customs emptying the entire package, putting a note in and sending the otherwise empty box on to me

I always overpack stuff that I ship. After 50 years in this hobby, I've seen most every variation of shipping quality and and seller's concern level. Heavy and odd shaped stuff needs 2 layers of cardboard, at minimum. Filler materials weigh almost nothing, so just put them in the box. JEEZ. Fortunately, it's rare that I receive something shipped by a cheap/lazy-***.

-
Back