shots from the garage...

-
I wouldn't count on it at this point...... I don't seem to be getting anything done around here. Might just hit Vegas at the end of the month..... we'll see.

LOL, I can't even joke about getting anywhere near a track this time of year here.

Well 19 years in the desert changes ones perception of "cold". Forecast for Phoenix is right at 60 next week.... but running "hot rod" class, you'll be the first on the track in the am and we're talking 40's.... maybe. I'll have to make a crash decision on whether I'm going to work on the car tomorrow or not.... Of course, it's better than the Vegas race I ran at the end of June when it finally went below 100 at 12:15 am.

Yep its going to be a cold one out this Saturday. I am driving in one Thursday night and going to do the test and tune because most of my info is from 3,500 ft of air.

well..... no complaints this weekend! Started the season with a BOOM! Now we get to go to March Meet as the points leader! :)

C259419B-3114-4625-9BC2-94C5471AB8CF_zpsfvedhpxp.jpg

Patiently waiting for spring here in Ohio.

Attachments

• 20151224_130111.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 520
Well even though we won in Phoenix.... it wasn't without issues. Fought a miss down there all weekend. Hauled to Vegas to see what would happen at altitude....and it was worse. Checked timing, ran valves, checked distributor.... no nasty metal anywhere. Now I'm a month away from March Meet with an "iffy" power plant. Going to unload the car and check valve springs, but at this point it looks like we'll be throwing the old 360 back in so we at least go in knowing we have a shot at going rounds. This hobby can really get interesting at times!

That's on the list.... no signs of crossfire in the cap, but even though the wires are new, we'll be looking pretty close. I think I have another set that came with the distributer for the other W8 mill..... believe I have another coil too. It almost seemed like jetting up helped some in Phoenix, but I ran this carb with 90 jets in it at Famoso with no probs. Biggest prob is figuring out where/when I can test stuff. Hate towing 2hrs to Vegas just to find out we still have an issue, although that was basically what we did sunday.

Well, all sounds good so far. And yea, 40 is a bit chilly for sure. It only feels warm after 2-2-1/2 months of day time highs in the 20's. Or lower LOL!
On the flip, I'm dead wood @ +90*.

I think you got a good start by checking the valve springs..And a compression test... After that "Myself" would look at ignition..And then Fuel system flush and pressure/flow check?.. Sounds like the fuel adjustment was just trying to cover something up?
Also Not sure... But just food for thought.... Check or install a good ground strap between the body and motor...
I just found this problem on a buddy's car...lol Back in the 9,30's... Now i'm a genus's ! Ha.

Go test "Bill Cosby Style" Any side street...lol Just Joking you know !!!!

well we've run the car on a long stretch of county road out here.... but the rpm that it seems to be occurring at.... might not be such a good thing! I ran a spring check quick last night and they were all similar. I say similar because it was my error to NOT have the tool with me when the heads were being set up. That is when we could have calibrated the tool to our actual spring readings before we ran it. Right now I can only compare them all, and they were all pretty close to each other. Going to compression and leak down while it's apart and at least log that since we have 38 passes on it now. Good time to start.

Well At least you should be good on those items while in the hunt.....
On the spring rate???? I'm guessing your unsure of what the machine shop set the heads up at, rate wise for open and closed pressure? That would be what I would go by. Hope the tool is close anyway.. But in all fairness, some of these engines are hard on Springs.. :)

for comparative sake the Duster engine has 200-210 lbs of pressure to get the valve off the seat. My W8 360 sitting in the shed has close to 320 lbs off the seat. Think I'd best pull a spring and get some installed height measurements and make dang sure what we are dealing with. At this point, looks like we'll be running high 10's at Bakersfield for March Meet. Iron head 360 coming back into duty.

If I was as good as you, I'd just pull another race car out of the garage! :)

you know...sometimes I long for the days went I went to the track by myself....

glad my kids dont read this forum....LOL

That dont sound to bad to me for closed pressure.. But then again....

....and it's supposed to be a fairly mild cam, but like I said.... Ideally you want to set up the shims on the spring checker tool when you set up the heads. That way you are using "actual" readings. My bad on that one.... first time having a mill that required a little more "babysitting". Might try the "county road" test method next weekend. Got a few parts we can swap and play with a bit.

you know...sometimes I long for the days went I went to the track by myself....

glad my kids dont read this forum....LOL

you know you love EVERY minute of that small block circus!

well the 38 pass check up went well.... 240 compression pretty much the average (screwed up and did one bank without the battery charger..... changed 10 psi just with faster cranking time so I had to go back and do it again for consistent reading), leakdown non existent. Going to pull the mill out this weekend and put in old slow! Wish I had a driveshaft for the 904. Might have to weigh my options on that one.

That all sounds good....
Hummmm. Looks like it's back to the Fuel System or in the Ignition some place?

-
Back