Summit brand forged crankshaft

-

HuntedDuckV351

Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody knew who made these for Summit? Not saying I will buy one as it's more of a curiosity thing.

Screenshot_20230629_180943_Chrome.jpg

@PROSTOCKTOM would probably know or know who to ask. But I understand the curiosity thing. I notice they tout drill lightened throws but also warn that heavy metal may be required for balancing.

I've always thought it was bullshit that Summit is unable to disclose who makes their Summit branded parts. Same with Jegs.

I have run Ohio Steel Crankshafts at higher levels
than that without any issue.

Last edited:
If you buy a 4340 forged crankshaft that sells in the US for less than $2500 you can bet the forging was/ is made in China.

Now that's not to say that's a bad thing because racing as we have known it for the last 25-30 years wouldn't be what it is today without Chinese forged parts.

However with that said, there are only so many foundries in China equipped to pound out 100 pound pieces of steel into shape. The quality and aesthetics you get

depends on who did the final finish work on the forgings. Some companies (usually the lower cost ) buy the parts totally finished and boxed in China.

Others buy the forgings from China, finish them out here in the US, and then do the final inspection here. I really hate name dropping, but what comes out of an Eagle box

is not going to be the same level as what comes out of a Molnar Technologies box. This is the reason I sell Molnar products.

Tom

If you buy a 4340 forged crankshaft that sells in the US for less than $2500 you can bet the forging was/ is made in China.

Now that's not to say that's a bad thing because racing as we have known it for the last 25-30 years wouldn't be what it is today without Chinese forged parts.

However with that said, there are only so many foundries in China equipped to pound out 100 pound pieces of steel into shape. The quality and aesthetics you get

depends on who did the final finish work on the forgings. Some companies (usually the lower cost ) buy the parts totally finished and boxed in China.

Others buy the forgings from China, finish them out here in the US, and then do the final inspection here. I really hate name dropping, but what comes out of an Eagle box

is not going to be the same level as what comes out of a Molnar Technologies box. This is the reason I sell Molnar products.

Tom
What IS on the same level as Molnar? Bryant? Maybe? Callies? Maybe? Carillo? Maybe? Molnar just might be the top of the heap.

Tom
Thank you for the input..I 100% understand what your saying. Being g a machinist myself the quality is definitely in the details.

there was an article that talked with Ohio Crank. cranks are produced overseas and machined here. from what I remember, I thought they were made in Germany.
may be wrong on that but if I find the article, I'll correct it.

Tom
This is why I waited for a year for my Molnar crank.

Where did you hear that?
I heard it a while back (can't remember exactly where) and it has been repeated numerous times. There has been a lot of acquisitions since COVID and I was not surprised when I heard about this one.

Although this is what I have found....

SCAT Enterprises has announced that it has been acquired by Taglich Private Equity, which recently acquired Air Flow Research Heads, the manufacturer of cylinder heads and intake manifolds for the high-performance automotive aftermarket.Dec 20, 2021

-
Back