Tesla roadster: 8.8 1/4 from the factory.

-
"We don't care". It is not a real car. This is sorta like calling the German WWII ME163 an operational aircraft. No, it was a short range missile with extremely limited fuel supply

me-163-moments-before-takeoff.jpg

"We don't care". It is not a real car. This is sorta like calling the German WWII ME163 an operational aircraft. No, it was a short range missile with extremely limited fuel supply

View attachment 1715111712

And ...........just what IS a "real car" you ask? Well, example. Come up here, fer 'xample, to the woods of the north end of Idaho, and in the middle of a raging blizzard, in poor driving conditions, when you need power to doze through snow, heat for your feet and fingers (and to de-ice the windshield) AND headlights, then drive, say, from Coeur d Alene to say, Missoula. And on the way, you have to sit stopped while some problem is cleared, like a crash or someone slid off, etc, a truck blocked the highway.

And.......oh yeah........there are no libtardian "charging stations" up here on that route, either

Let me know how your battery life fares

And ...........just what IS a "real car" you ask? Well, example. Come up here, fer 'xample, to the woods of the north end of Idaho, and in the middle of a raging blizzard, in poor driving conditions, when you need power to doze through snow, heat for your feet and fingers (and to de-ice the windshield) AND headlights, then drive, say, from Coeur d Alene to say, Missoula. And on the way, you have to sit stopped while some problem is cleared, like a crash or someone slid off, etc, a truck blocked the highway.

And.......oh yeah........there are no libtardian "charging stations" up here on that route, either

Easy does it. I’m no fan of electric cars either. I just don’t want to see videos of them smoking everything at drag strips.

No different than running out of gas, is it? I'd wager a Telsa in Range mode + Power Save would keep you warm longer than a V8 Gas Truck. Generally guys who can afford a +$200K roadster aren't morons and have been driving their $80k luxury 4wd SUV for months prior to the "blizzard", while their Telsa is safe and warm in its private garage.

I drove a "Slower" Model S 100D last weekend and the acceleration is ridiculous--range 300mile.

Yeah it might be able to run that fast but like the demon will have to have the minimum cage put in it to run at the track. So yeah it unless a rich person is willing to do that which I doubt, you'll see them just on the road.

Hmmm, I won't be getting one....but I would if I could!!

They quote a 600 mile range, but that's marketing shite. Hell, even a 200 mile range would make most buyers happy.

They tried electric over 100 years ago.... Battery life still isn't there, yet. And there is still an issue with li-on batteries catching fire and burning up with defective/wrong chargers. Look at the 787, problems there at first.

Tesla,shmesla. Model X has problems with doors, fit & finish and rear seats. Model 3 production is much lower than they anticipated and having problems. Lots of over promising and under delivering.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcleantechnica.com%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2Flithium_tar_sands_meme.jpg

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcleantechnica.com%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2Flithium_tar_sands_meme.jpg

They tried electric over 100 years ago.... Battery life still isn't there, yet. And there is still an issue with li-on batteries catching fire and burning up with defective/wrong chargers. Look at the 787, problems there at first.

Is this a joke? They weren’t doing much with powered flight 100 years ago either, that seems to work better now. Internal combustion powered cars sucked 100 years ago too. Refrigeration will never catch on! Home computers that fit on a desk? Impossible. Internet from your phone? Good grief, what a ridiculously stupid statement.

I love my muscle car, that’s why it’s my daily. I don’t like new cars in general, internal combustion, hybrid, electric or otherwise. Too quiet, too boring, no soul.

But I think it’s pretty hilarious that a bunch of guys that drive cars that are known for having absolutely lousy factory fit and finish, terrible fuel mileage and range, and questionable seasonal utility whine and complain about those same exact things from an electric car. Especially an electric car that will flog everything here in a 1/4 mile and with the push of a button (all it takes to change the tune on a Tesla) go 300+ miles on a charge.

I’m not rushing out to buy a Tesla roadster, I wouldn’t give up my POS Duster for one, not my thing. But I’m not naive. That Tesla will beat almost any car on this board in any test you could imagine other than ability to burn gasoline. Hands down, no contest, every time. If you think otherwise, you just don’t understand what those cars are capable of. Sure maybe there’s s few cars here capable of going faster than 8.8, but they’re not street cars.

Three years ago, the Swamp Rat team (yes, that one) ran a custom built electric dragster to a 7.274 quarter mile at 185 mph and set the world record. Now just three years after that was possible for the first time ever, a production car can do an 8.8? There’s an Australian team building a fully electric dragster right now that they say will compete with top fuel dragsters. In a few years, Top Fuel won’t keep up. Battery technology is improving every year. Internal combustion is falling behind, and it’s going to keep falling back. You don’t have to like it, but you’d better understand it.

Top Fuel monsters put on notice: 5,000-hp electric dragster has 8 world records in its sights

First, this may be the first time I ever saw someone quote themselves. LOL.
Second, I actually looked at a Tesla about 18 months ago. They are beautiful cars (IMO), and with the Income tax credit at the time, they were pretty much Lexus or BMW money. I asked the salesman what it would cost to replace the battery pack after the car was out of warranty. He tap danced around, dodged the question, and tried to change the subject. He never did answer the question.

Then go buy one..... What I'm saying is that the technology is not totally there yet. Meaning CHEAP, RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE. I see that, and others do also. Yeah, they are quick, but the mileage drops off considerably, SAME AS GASOLINE. And it's no joke, it's fact.

First, this may be the first time I ever saw someone quote themselves. LOL.
Second, I actually looked at a Tesla about 18 months ago. They are beautiful cars (IMO), and with the Income tax credit at the time, they were pretty much Lexus or BMW money. I asked the salesman what it would cost to replace the battery pack after the car was out of warranty. He tap danced around, dodged the question, and tried to change the subject. He never did answer the question.
Meaning big bucks most likely, another drawback to them.

As I mentioned in the above post, battery cost and battery life were why I didn't get too serious about a Tesla. If technology gets to the point where I can buy an affordable all electric car with enough range to drive around tows and maybe a 200 mile round trip on one charge at a reasonable price, I'll probably get serious about buying one.

K1 speed is a go cart track here in So. Cal. Its indoors on a high traction tarmac and they use electric carts. Those are so quick that your back hurts after a few laps. Ive seen the Formula E international race, and its sleepy time boring when there is NO SOUND! They sound like huge slot cars zipping down the track., Just the buzz of the transmissions. And they got a battery change mid race. Electrics just dont tickle it yet.

Then go buy one..... What I'm saying is that the technology is not totally there yet. Meaning CHEAP, RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE. I see that, and others do also. Yeah, they are quick, but the mileage drops off considerably, SAME AS GASOLINE. And it's no joke, it's fact.

The technology IS there. Maybe in Cowsville, Wisconsin you don’t see Tesla’s every day on your commute, but I do. Every day. They’re plenty reliable, and plenty dependable. Tesla’s aren’t cheap but neither are BMW’s. Heck you can’t buy a new 4x4 diesel truck for less than 50k either.

And no, not like gasoline. You can’t push a button on your dash and go from 300hp to 900hp like changing your radio station. That’s basically what you can do with that Tesla.

And I don’t want one. But that doesn’t change their performance capabilities. I can be real about what my Duster can and can’t do, it would get KILLED by a Tesla roadster. Absolutely destroyed. And I still would rather have my Duster. But I’m not going to try and fool myself into thinking it’s somehow more capable than a Tesla roadster, it’s not even close.

As I mentioned in the above post, battery cost and battery life were why I didn't get too serious about a Tesla. If technology gets to the point where I can buy an affordable all electric car with enough range to drive around tows and maybe a 200 mile round trip on one charge at a reasonable price, I'll probably get serious about buying one.

They new Tesla’s will already go more than 200 miles round trip. And battery life is typically close to 10 years. Most folks buy a new car every 6-7 years. Still more expensive to replace the batteries than rebuild an engine, but not too many people do that with new cars either.

Rethought my previous response. So you look at my area as Cowsville? Well, if that means it isn't attractive for you to live here, I guess I'll just have to be happy with that...... And I'm sure our cows will be also. By the way, CA produces more milk than WI, and has for years. Just thought you should know. And I have seen Teslas here, just not the high performance ones, and toss in a Yenko Camaro, and a Yenko Nova. And the usual Ferraris, Bently's and other big dollar cars. So it isn't that much in the sticks; helps being only 60 miles from Chicago and all that money. Seems all them big city folks like to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Can't say as I blame them. But I stand by my opinion about electric cars.

Last edited:
Fast? BFD....I'd rather have the sound, the smell and the feel of a real gasoline burning engine. You cannot get that from a car that sounds like a Hamilton Beach cake mixer.

Fast? BFD....I'd rather have the sound, the smell and the feel of a real gasoline burning engine. You cannot get that from a car that sounds like a Hamilton Beach cake mixer.
HEAR, HEAR !!!! We have a winner !!!!! Part of the human life , is to experience sensation, it keeps us going. You learn from it .

Whenever 'new competition' enters the playingfield, people usually will first ignore it... then ridicule it... then fight it... before they get their *** handed over by it..
I'm wondering if some are still at the 'Ridicule state' or have progressed to the 'Fight it' state already.

IMO, 'all it takes' is one nice breakthrough in the generation of electric power. I think it won't be long before something like that will happen.
I'm also seeing a future (25-50years) where power will be no issue anymore. Pretty much everyone will have the ability to create (electric) power at will from some (portable) store bought/homemade device that is able to efficiently generate/convert an X-amount of electric power from local present things like motion, gravity, wind, heat, sunlight, or all combined.

Now until that time, I want to hear a V8-engine as daily motivation in my cars.

Whenever 'new competition' enters the playingfield, people usually will first ignore it... then ridicule it... then fight it... before they get their *** handed over by it..
I'm wondering if some are still at the 'Ridicule state' or have progressed to the 'Fight it' state already.

IMO, 'all it takes' is one nice breakthrough in the generation of electric power. I think it won't be long before something like that will happen.
I'm also seeing a future (25-50years) where power will be no issue anymore. Pretty much everyone will have the ability to create (electric) power at will from some (portable) store bought/homemade device that is able to efficiently generate/convert an X-amount of electric power from local present things like motion, gravity, wind, heat, sunlight, or all combined.

Now until that time, I want to hear a V8-engine as daily motivation in my cars.

What's interesting in all this is the workers with skillset X and what good will it be to them in 25 years in relation to transportation.... Advancement in technology always breeds new careers but it sure does knock a whole bunch of them down. That's the scary part. Where would the USA specifically be today without the 4 stroke engine in terms of everything as a whole and what is gained and lost by technology such as electric vehicles?

My discipline for making a house payment or 2 is the Graphic Arts industry and it has become extremely automated in the last 20 years. That's all you are really doing with electric cars. Automation. Eventually as time goes on steering wheel companies will be out of business lol..... I hope to not be around for the next big "leap" in all this.....

JW

-
Back