Tesla roadster: 8.8 1/4 from the factory.

-
I have zero experience in regards to electric/hybrid cars. Its going to stay that way.
There was a little training for the ford hybrids,setting up pylons,the high voltage gloves and an insulated sheperd’s hook for the technician in the next bay. That did it for me.
So when the market changes to where these things are everywhere,and the boys start playin with the inner workings,and a few kill themselves then what?
these wont make good tuner cars but they are gonna try.

How do emergency responders deal with these things after a crash?a whole lot of training and equipment, like they dont have enough already.

Fuel burners are going to be around as long as they keep making fuel.

Fast? Who cares.
Who doesent watch races anticipating an engine failure?
It happens and some are quite spectacular.
Electrics? Puff of toxic smoke.

Last edited:
This is a very nice looking car and it is fast. That being said there is only one Tesla service centre here in Ontario for parts and service. It is still a car and will break down, need service and get involved in accidents. You can't complain about the service because there will not be any! You will not get anywhere near the advertised mileage in the winter. If you cannot leave your car for the day you need a supercharge station. If you are on the road in Ontario you can pick between the 13 stations available to charge your car and you will need to sit around for 75 minute to fully charge ( or 20 minutes for 50%) All Teslas have Autopilot hardware built in but they are nowhere near the promise of a self drive car... yet. So far you can park your Tesla in the garage with your cell phone which I will admit is pretty cool

We live about a 5 minute drive from the Tesla Dealer/Service Center so I see plenty of them. The Model S does look nice, the X looks like an overinflated balloon. No Model 3s yet, gee weren't they supposed to be all over the place by now? Fact is, I don't want one. I prefer the sound of a gas engine. I prefer to be able to refuel in 5 minutes and have a 600KM range. You want one, knock yourself out. Bet the cost of a new battery pack when needed will exceed the residual value of the car. Since they still seem to be haemorrhaging money, wonder when or if musk will be pulling the plug (groan) eventually thus rendering them all orphans. Even he will eventually run out of money if they don't start posting some profit.
Call me a Luddite if you want to, I don't care. I've been called worse.

Wasn't rumored while back that he was looking to sell off the brand to some auto maker.

All the above is interesting reading. So here's the question, assuming the electric dragster actually appears, what class would it run? Couldn't be top fuel because it has no fuel. The splendor of the burn out, going up in smoke, big bangers, starting line wrenching, it'd all be gone. No nitro smell, no eyes watering, no noise, all gone. Who in their right mind would pay to see that?

The burnouts and going up in smoke would all still be there with an electric dragster. The tires would still need to be warmed up and made sticky to get ready to run.

Plain and simple... fast is no fun to watch without the sound..Why do you think the one time a year race fans flock to the fuelers and take a leak the rest of the time ?

Last edited:
if it won't cause fluid to pour out of my eye sockets from the exhaust fumes I don't want anything to do with it. at least my **** will start and run when the power grids start going down

if it won't cause fluid to pour out of my eye sockets from the exhaust fumes I don't want anything to do with it. at least my **** will start and run when the power grids start going down

And since you refine your own fuel, you'll be set!!! Because all those big refineries need the power grid too, so, only people like you that can obviously refine your own will be moving after a few months of the refineries being down.

Of course, if you have well thought out home solar, even if the grid goes down, you'd still have power to charge your electric car. Maybe not all the time, but you'd probably do better than waiting in the long *** lines for fuel that would develop in a long term grid issue. Just look at Puerto Rico, they still have fuel distribution problems to go along with their grid issues.

You won't....

Yeah you will. And soon. Battery technology is improving every day. In the next decade you'll see land speed records fall left and right to electric vehicles.

Whenever 'new competition' enters the playingfield, people usually will first ignore it... then ridicule it... then fight it... before they get their *** handed over by it..
I'm wondering if some are still at the 'Ridicule state' or have progressed to the 'Fight it' state already.

IMO, 'all it takes' is one nice breakthrough in the generation of electric power. I think it won't be long before something like that will happen.
I'm also seeing a future (25-50years) where power will be no issue anymore. Pretty much everyone will have the ability to create (electric) power at will from some (portable) store bought/homemade device that is able to efficiently generate/convert an X-amount of electric power from local present things like motion, gravity, wind, heat, sunlight, or all combined.

Now until that time, I want to hear a V8-engine as daily motivation in my cars.

Exactly. People with horses and buggies laughed their asses off when cars started showing up. They they tried to keep them off the roads because they were scaring their horses. And then everyone had a car.

What's interesting in all this is the workers with skillset X and what good will it be to them in 25 years in relation to transportation.... Advancement in technology always breeds new careers but it sure does knock a whole bunch of them down. That's the scary part. Where would the USA specifically be today without the 4 stroke engine in terms of everything as a whole and what is gained and lost by technology such as electric vehicles?

My discipline for making a house payment or 2 is the Graphic Arts industry and it has become extremely automated in the last 20 years. That's all you are really doing with electric cars. Automation. Eventually as time goes on steering wheel companies will be out of business lol..... I hope to not be around for the next big "leap" in all this.....

JW

Unless you're planning on checking out in the next 10 years or less, you'll be around. Yes, the US jumped into and redefined the entire automotive industry, as well as a few others. And that boom fueled the growth of the US, even though really we were initially behind the curve a bit on automotive innovation until Henry Ford blew everyone out of the water. Yes, there will be a big shift in industry, and some of those that don't/can't retrain will have a hard go of things. That's already true in the auto industry, you need a 1/4 of the assembly line workers to run a factory now compared to a couple decades ago. Automation, CNC, etc has already shrunk that job market significantly.

If we were smart, we would be embracing this new technology and pushing it so that we would be driving the next technological revolution as well- electric vehicles, battery technology, solar, wind, etc for power generation. Instead we're marching backward, trying to prop up already near dead industries (coal), and pulling out of funding the kind of technological advancement that will keep up positioned going forward. If we can't move forward, we'll ride the old tech right into economic futility and surrender our place in the world market to the countries that are moving with the technology.

Yeah it's a drag to start to move away from the things that had such a big influence on the development of this country, but if we don't, and we hang onto all that nostalgia without moving forward too, we will get left behind.

All the above is interesting reading. So here's the question, assuming the electric dragster actually appears, what class would it run? Couldn't be top fuel because it has no fuel. The splendor of the burn out, going up in smoke, big bangers, starting line wrenching, it'd all be gone. No nitro smell, no eyes watering, no noise, all gone. Who in their right mind would pay to see that?

If you read the article I posted on the Aussie EV dragster, they're planning on letting that one run right alongside the top fuel cars over there. As for the rest of it, there will still be "wrenching", but it's gonna look a lot different. You'll need electrical engineers and computer programmers instead of grease monkeys. That might fit the upcoming generations skill set better anyway. Tires will still get smoked, and components will still get changed between races. Yeah, the noise will be gone. But the speed will not.

Who would pay to see it? Dunno, but someone had better figure it out. The Isle of Man motorcycle races already have an EV class, in the first year (2010) most of the entrants didn't even finish. Now the fastest lap for those bikes is 119.3 mph, and unlike the first few years most of the bikes are finishing the race with power to spare. The "whir" of those machines is a little anti-climatic compared to the roar of the super bikes, but they're not much slower anymore. The fastest lap average for the super bikes there is 132.7 mph. In the next few years they'll get even faster, as some of the major manufacturers are starting to take notice and put money in.

I have zero experience in regards to electric/hybrid cars. Its going to stay that way.
There was a little training for the ford hybrids,setting up pylons,the high voltage gloves and an insulated sheperd’s hook for the technician in the next bay. That did it for me.
So when the market changes to where these things are everywhere,and the boys start playin with the inner workings,and a few kill themselves then what?
these wont make good tuner cars but they are gonna try.

How do emergency responders deal with these things after a crash?a whole lot of training and equipment, like they dont have enough already.

Fuel burners are going to be around as long as they keep making fuel.

Fast? Who cares.
Who doesent watch races anticipating an engine failure?
It happens and some are quite spectacular.
Electrics? Puff of toxic smoke.

Training is the key and the issue. Like any new technology, if you want to be a part of it you have to learn it. Will kids electrocute themselves hot-rodding EV's? Probably, but how many people have crushed themselves under some old car? It's not like wrenching, but again if we're smart and we're teaching this new tech to the up and coming generations they could be rewinding electric motors like we changed out cams. It's just different.

As for emergency responders, we get more training. It's been going on for years, and as an emergency responder myself that has to take some of those classes it's a lot of info to keep straight. But you know what? It's always been like that. Auto-extrication has been evolving for a long time. Everytime some new crazy alloy comes out it renders our old cutting tools obsolete. Airbags and seat rewinders are like bombs if you cut into them, they're everywhere now. The electric vehicles aren't much harder than a new luxury car, typically all the high voltage stuff is very well marked (bright orange) and usually it's run on the floor and rockers. Yes, it's another thing to know, but we deal with that the same way we dealt with everything else, more training, updated equipment, etc. Adapt and overcome.

And since you refine your own fuel, you'll be set!!! Because all those big refineries need the power grid too, so, only people like you that can obviously refine your own will be moving after a few months of the refineries being down.

Of course, if you have well thought out home solar, even if the grid goes down, you'd still have power to charge your electric car. Maybe not all the time, but you'd probably do better than waiting in the long *** lines for fuel that would develop in a long term grid issue. Just look at Puerto Rico, they still have fuel distribution problems to go along with their grid issues.

Yeah you will. And soon. Battery technology is improving every day. In the next decade you'll see land speed records fall left and right to electric vehicles.

Exactly. People with horses and buggies laughed their asses off when cars started showing up. They they tried to keep them off the roads because they were scaring their horses. And then everyone had a car.

Unless you're planning on checking out in the next 10 years or less, you'll be around. Yes, the US jumped into and redefined the entire automotive industry, as well as a few others. And that boom fueled the growth of the US, even though really we were initially behind the curve a bit on automotive innovation until Henry Ford blew everyone out of the water. Yes, there will be a big shift in industry, and some of those that don't/can't retrain will have a hard go of things. That's already true in the auto industry, you need a 1/4 of the assembly line workers to run a factory now compared to a couple decades ago. Automation, CNC, etc has already shrunk that job market significantly.

If we were smart, we would be embracing this new technology and pushing it so that we would be driving the next technological revolution as well- electric vehicles, battery technology, solar, wind, etc for power generation. Instead we're marching backward, trying to prop up already near dead industries (coal), and pulling out of funding the kind of technological advancement that will keep up positioned going forward. If we can't move forward, we'll ride the old tech right into economic futility and surrender our place in the world market to the countries that are moving with the technology.

Yeah it's a drag to start to move away from the things that had such a big influence on the development of this country, but if we don't, and we hang onto all that nostalgia without moving forward too, we will get left behind.

If you read the article I posted on the Aussie EV dragster, they're planning on letting that one run right alongside the top fuel cars over there. As for the rest of it, there will still be "wrenching", but it's gonna look a lot different. You'll need electrical engineers and computer programmers instead of grease monkeys. That might fit the upcoming generations skill set better anyway. Tires will still get smoked, and components will still get changed between races. Yeah, the noise will be gone. But the speed will not.

Who would pay to see it? Dunno, but someone had better figure it out. The Isle of Man motorcycle races already have an EV class, in the first year (2010) most of the entrants didn't even finish. Now the fastest lap for those bikes is 119.3 mph, and unlike the first few years most of the bikes are finishing the race with power to spare. The "whir" of those machines is a little anti-climatic compared to the roar of the super bikes, but they're not much slower anymore. The fastest lap average for the super bikes there is 132.7 mph. In the next few years they'll get even faster, as some of the major manufacturers are starting to take notice and put money in.

Training is the key and the issue. Like any new technology, if you want to be a part of it you have to learn it. Will kids electrocute themselves hot-rodding EV's? Probably, but how many people have crushed themselves under some old car? It's not like wrenching, but again if we're smart and we're teaching this new tech to the up and coming generations they could be rewinding electric motors like we changed out cams. It's just different.

As for emergency responders, we get more training. It's been going on for years, and as an emergency responder myself that has to take some of those classes it's a lot of info to keep straight. But you know what? It's always been like that. Auto-extrication has been evolving for a long time. Everytime some new crazy alloy comes out it renders our old cutting tools obsolete. Airbags and seat rewinders are like bombs if you cut into them, they're everywhere now. The electric vehicles aren't much harder than a new luxury car, typically all the high voltage stuff is very well marked (bright orange) and usually it's run on the floor and rockers. Yes, it's another thing to know, but we deal with that the same way we dealt with everything else, more training, updated equipment, etc. Adapt and overcome.
In a galaxy, far , far ,away......:)

Its a bitter pill for me to swallow however I have to agree.

I think you meant when the grids go down I would still need power to charge my Tesla tank that will do 8.8 in the 1/4.:D
When grids go down you won't catch me out driving around in a tin can with windows.

In order for electric vehicles to really take hold, the cost has to come down. You mentioned Henry Ford, well he made the car affordable, then paid his workers more. That is what it will take to EV to make it. Look at engines, high cost yes, but made right they last the life of the car. When you pay 60K and more then have to replace batteries like some change brakes, only the rich can afford it. Will not make it.....

THANK YOU ,LANCE ! NFL has been neutered, by morons . Pure drag racing has been reeled back ,it has a pulse ..
Let's not kill our history, for idealistic idiots . Keep it,alive. Screw , the idealistic

in 72bluNblu's write up, the remark about coal kind of jumped out at me. We are the Saudia Arabia of the coal industry. When a country struggles with supply, they find a different method to get the same results. We don't struggle with supply. Coal is energy. Coal is heat. Coal is economy. We have it, like the Saudi's have oil. Coal works.

• Solar panels in the 80's were the talk of the time, but new homes are built WAY more often with natural gas than solar panels and we are in 2017.
  • Corn was supposed to replace gasoline. E85 was a flop.
  • Latest discovery makes it "new". What if coal had just been discovered??
  • And will water replace electric cars, and everyone burns hydrogen?? Water is everywhere, and will never go away. Just goes back up as vapor only to return by rain. In fact, the planet is mostly water...? This will be awesome when the sun burns out... :D
Not against moving forward, not against electric cars (though my opinion is they are not as fun), but we'll all see where it goes. :)

in 72bluNblu's write up, the remark about coal kind of jumped out at me. We are the Saudia Arabia of the coal industry. When a country struggles with supply, they find a different method to get the same results. We don't struggle with supply. Coal is energy. Coal is heat. Coal is economy. We have it, like the Saudi's have oil. Coal works.

• Solar panels in the 80's were the talk of the time, but new homes are built WAY more often with natural gas than solar panels and we are in 2017.
  • And will water replace electric cars, and everyone burns hydrogen?? Water is everywhere, and will never go away. Just goes back up as vapor only to return by rain. In fact, the planet is mostly water...? This will be awesome when the sun burns out... :D
Not against moving forward, not against electric cars (though my opinion is they are not as fun), but we'll all see where it goes. :)
Thanks ,318 w.r.. Reality in the moment ,defeats idealistic. Grassroots common sense, wins...every time . Tax dollars, pay for it .

Sadly America is not the Saudi Arabia of coal. China blows us out of the water and I believe there is one other country (Russia or India or Australia) thay is ahead of us. I don’t mean to derail my own thread but when I lived in Pike county Kentucky this was a huge debate.

Sadly you will never see coal in the eastern United States return to its former glory. You can mark my words. Yes EPA regulations and crooked coal companies are to blame but most of it is simply because the coal coming from Appalachia is an inferior product. It does not burn as hot or as clean as the stuff coming from other parts of the world. As their production increases the demand for dirty coal from the eastern us declines.

Now back to discussing this car.

it'll be fun to watch the zombies running around on foot looking for a charging station to charge up thier teslas when there is no electricity to fill their tanks. question is , who is going to play Mel Gibson......
truth is , electric cars will NEVER take the place of the combustion engine,
NEVER
every attempt has been a complete failure

Well, let's see...

You can make electricity from the wind, the sun, the water moving, physical energy like pedaling or shaking, thermal energy and waves moving in the sea.

But you can't make gasoline without electricity.

Which one is the superior technology?

The horse could never keep up with the power of the gasoline energy, but neither can gasoline keep up with the power produced by electricity.

It's a new World, embrace it, or just be another fossil along the way of technological innovation like the horsemen of old.

The human race will continue along the path of technology development...with or without you.

If the electric car idea was so great, PRIVATE industry should be all over it WITHOUT any help from the government.

If you dont wanna see it beating gasoline powered cars, dont look up the kid who borrows his dads tesla and goes collecting cash at the local back roads and strips.

Some very, very hurt feelings, have to get some grown men a box of tissues

Usually 1/8 mile, but feelings get hurt.

Last edited:
If you dont wanna see it beating gasoline powered cars, dont look up the kid who borrows his dads tesla and goes collecting cash at the local back roads and strips.

Some very, very hurt feelings, have to get some grown men a box of tissues

Usually 1/8 mile, but feelings get hurt.
but , wil it beat a gasoline powered car that costs as much $$ ? And how much power is consumed to make elec. bartteries and keep them charged??????------- not the answer !

When I finally get my car done id love to race one 1/4 mile just to see, course after I have set mine up adjustment wise. Will it suck if I lose yes but still fun to me, will just have to turn the wick up a bit and hope that beats it, anf if I win ill be happy but still like I posted before the back roads is all youll see them, to go that fast at a track you still need the proper safety equipment just like if you were to buy the dodge demon.

but , wil it beat a gasoline powered car that costs as much $$ ? And how much power is consumed to make elec. bartteries and keep them charged??????------- not the answer !

Wasnt what i was getting at. I do understand your point and agree, but the days are approaching. it did suprisingly well against a new 5.0 twin turbos.

Well..

3673C429-D7DC-4569-BB85-D4D4A5140E23.png

-
Back