The friendly drag comp rules

-
Oh yea, RRR has the green light to come and play. What the heck. He probably has one of the most lethal vehicle & combo here so far. My low compression 400 is a DOG! And one that barf's! A lot....

Rani, you and I are from similar boats. I have allways had a 4spd manual car to have my fun in. This will be my first automatic car to actually run in any type of contest. Street or track.
Hence my question, "How DO you instal a manual valve body?"

LOL, I have not a clue! To busy working and raising children to have car fun.

Rani, you and I are from similar boats. I have allways had a 4spd manual car to have my fun in. This will be my first automatic car to actually run in any type of contest. Street or track.
Hence my question, "How DO you instal a manual valve body?"

LOL, I have not a clue! To busy working and raising children to have car fun.

Do like the rest of us and learn how to shift a stock trans manually with just shift kit and stock.... :D

Take the kids for a ride while you practice and they will enjoy it.... :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Just tell the wife, "Honey, the kids and I have to go do something for FABO..." and take them for a fun ride.... LOL!!! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

We used to love it when dad spun the tires in his 68 383 Charger for us when we were kids... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And when you get home, act real cool, like you didn't do anything..... :glasses7:

The only mod I have ever done to a auto trans is instal the MP shift improved with a deep pan and extra cooler. I did learn how to adjust the shift points a little bit as well as the internal line pressure. I did manage to get a snappy shift from it. A little slow by today's standards of quick shifting.

August past, I purchased my first high stall converter.:blob:
A 2500 from Summit. (Not really looking for a lot with this mind you, just some extra stall.)
It is behind a 2000, 5.9 salvaged from my daughters wrecked Durango & installed in my '79 Magnum. I'm awaiting spring to get & instal a cam. The engine also has a RPM and 650 Thunder with Hooker Super Comp headers, 2-1/2 exhaust. 2.55's on 245/60/15's.

This car could qualify easy for the fun.

The car was $500
Carb was a FABO special
Intake, headers, mufflers are new from Summit
The engine was free.
The trans already has a trans go in it.
The converter was a whopping $200.

Minus brake line issues, it's ready to run. Hum, maybe I shouldet my son in law run the Duster and I'll run my Magnum instead.... :violent1:

From top to bottom, seems like a good place to start;

IMO, the car should also be street worthy.

Scoop, anything goes

Air cleaner; Anything goes.

Carb.

A single 4bbl. to keep it simple and cheap.
Stock and stock replacement carbs are what I would like to see. In example;

Edelbrock carbs, basic Holley carbs. 4160/4150 & Avengers. Rebuilt TQ's, QJ's
No Pro built or after market carbs like AED.
Modify it yourself and be a good fella, start a thread and show us how! I wanna see this baby on your bench being done. And so do the new guys!

Intake,

any 4bbl. will do. Mods? Same as above.

Heads.

Run the heads the car came with if you can. I say IF you can because we all do not have what it came with. But it should be a OE head.
Swapping heads is OK. IE: LA for Magnum heads
Stock or replacement style valves
no porting or die grinder work
any valve job is OK
backcutting valves OK
Mill the head until your happy or have a door stop from going to far
I would like to see stock rocker arms, but, .....I'm not just so dead sure about dis-allowing roller rockers. What say you?

Camshaft; What ever you shove in there! LOL!
(While I don't see roller cams cheap, they can be used. What say you?)

Exhaust, what ever you installer have. Manifolds or headers!

Ignition; Any

I say, No electric water and fuel pumps UNLESS you swapped in a Magnum engine (Which has no provision for a mechanical pump)
OR is this not good?

Trans,

Manual, scatter shield OK
Single disc clutch
OE trans 3 or 4 speed

Auto; No Manual valve bodies or trans brakes
Shift kits, deep trans pan, extra cooling, high stall converters OK

Rear end;

Any OE rear, any gear, swap for sure grips & bigger rear, OK
(And makes sense but if you wanna be a one leg warrior and hero, go for it.)

Suspension;

OE and Cal Tracs

Body;

Any hood scoop will do.
Remove and replace what you want/need to. Fiberglass parts are the norm right?!?!?
No Lexan

Interior; Full street like. Not gutted to high heaven. You could loose the back and passenger seat.

OK people! What do you think of that? Basic, easy, readily seen on the street and tracks, nothing crazy or over the top. Kind of typical in a sense that this is what you can see 90% of the time of the road or car meets.
* This sounds great! How about another with stock trim?full interior,no headers, just looking stock under the hood etc.. I love this idea!

* This sounds great! How about another with stock trim?full interior,no headers, just looking stock under the hood etc.. I love this idea!

SEE!

This is where I get a little twisted by people like you looking to add to something that is actually a huge open class of only one class. This is an"Run what you brung" and modify it or not
I really thought I spelled this out as a run what you have and show people what you got and sis to go faster and to do it as cheaply as possible!
OMG!

Re read the thread and tell me how many times I stated that here and in the other thread.
ARE YOU SERIOUS THAT YOU WANT YOUR OWN SPECIAL CLASS?!?!?!
O-M-G!!!!

Look brother, here it is one more time.

Run what you brung and show the world how to go fast cheap, as cheap as possible!

Come on people! Read the thread!

The rules so far do not indicate a 5 speed is permissible. Mine is a T5 and I am sure there may be others who would run one.

I am not trying to conform the rules to me. So like I have said several times, I can sit it out if I need to. I will still do it, but my results will be strictly mine. I will still share everything either way. Regardless of make, we can all learn something from each other.

SEE!

This is where I get a little twisted by people like you looking to add to something that is actually a huge open class of only one class. This is an"Run what you brung" and modify it or not
I really thought I spelled this out as a run what you have and show people what you got and sis to go faster and to do it as cheaply as possible!
OMG!

Re read the thread and tell me how many times I stated that here and in the other thread.
ARE YOU SERIOUS THAT YOU WANT YOUR OWN SPECIAL CLASS?!?!?!
O-M-G!!!!

Look brother, here it is one more time.

Run what you brung and show the world how to go fast cheap, as cheap as possible!

Come on people! Read the thread!
* Wow sorry brother..I never ment any harm! I started off by saying great idea!! Sorry!!:glasses7:

Hey Rumble, I put this together for you to help everyone get their heads around the Competition and to keep track of the Rules and specifications.

I'm not going to participate yet. But I don't mind helping the coordination effort.

AlV

Attachments

• The FABO Friendly Drag competition.pdf
    351 KB · Views: 193
The FABO Friendly Drag competition

What is this?

This is a Competition for fun with no prize money, just bragging rights. This is your chance to be a show off and say I told ya so!. This group wants to reach engage "newbies" to the Hobby in a FUN, Friendly way and show what can be accomplished with bare bones Budget minded type builds.

Who is it for?

This is a friendly competition open to everyone but especially newcomers to the hobby.

How does it work?

It relies on the "Honor system." That should be easy, right? Just remember your actually helping your MoPar family out when you DON'T LIE! Your entry should be done as "CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE!" THE CHEAPER THE BETTER. SHOW OFF YOUR SCROOGE!!!!! Show the world what a cheap S.O.B. you are! Do your best to keep costs down where ever possible, use what you have laying around, get in trade, or find used. It's okay if you have to buy new Just keep in mind this is a low cost budget minded competition.

New parts carry the price. So, if you can get used headers, great. If not, new ones are not a shame item or expenditure. Building your own exhaust is "Awesome hero work" while dropping $700 on a tti exhaust is "Hall of Shame". Also, The extra cost for slowing down or safety is understandable and should not be considered in the build cost

Once your build is complete Race your local track and report back!

Most IMPORTANTLY, Have fun!

Requirements:

From top to bottom, seems like a good place to start; The car should also be street worthy.

Carb:

* A single 4bbl. to keep it simple and cheap. (Stock and stock replacement carbs are acceptable).
* There is no limiting PSI rule for carbs or fuel injection.

In example; Edelbrock carbs, basic Holley carbs. 4160/4150 & Avengers. Rebuilt TQ's, QJ's No Pro built or after market carbs like AED. Modify it yourself and be a good fella, start a thread and show us how! Let's see this baby on your bench being done. And so do the new guys!

Fuel:
* The octane requirement is pump gas that you get at your local gas station and available everywhere. For some it is 91 octane, others, 93 octane.
* If 100 octane is available to you, realize that it is not readily available to everyone else and not the normal nation wide normal high octane and therefore not good to use.

Intake:
* Any 4bbl. will do. Mods? Same as above.
* Scoop, anything goes
* Air cleaner; Anything goes.

Heads:
* Run the heads the car came with if you can, or if you don't have the heads it came with it should be an OE head.
* Swapping heads is OK. IE: LA for Magnum heads
* Stock or replacement style valves
* NO porting or die grinder work
* Any valve job is OK
* "Back-cutting" valves OK
* Mill the head until your happy, or have a door stop from going too far!
* Stock rocker arms are preferred, but, open for discussion.

Camshaft:
* Whatever you shove in there! LOL! (Roller cams aren't cheap, but they can be used.)

Exhaust:
* Whatever you have CHEAP! Manifolds, or headers!

Ignition:
* Any *NO electric water and fuel pumps UNLESS you swapped in a Magnum engine (Which has no provision for a mechanical pump) or if it's the only way to make your build work.

Trans:
* Manual, scatter shield OK
* Single disc clutch
* OE trans 3 or 4 speed
* Auto; No Manual valve bodies or trans brakes
* Shift kits, deep trans pan, extra cooling, high stall converters OK

Rear end:
* Any OE rear,
* Any gear
* Swap for sure grips & bigger rear, OK, (if you wanna be a one leg warrior and hero, go for it.)

Suspension:
* OE and Cal Tracs

Body:
* Any hood scoop will do.
* Remove and replace what you want/need to. Fiberglass parts are the norm right?!?!?
* No Lexan

Interior;
* Full street like. Not gutted to high heaven.
* You could remove the back and passenger seat.

There's problems in that there above that I didn't right in and are misleading.

First: under the carb section, the electric fuel pump, I wrote nothing of the sort. There's is no limiting PSI rule for carbs or fuel injection.
Second: the octane requirement is pump gas that you get at your local gas station and available everywhere.
For some it is 91 octane, others, 93 octane. If 100 octane is available to you, realize that it is not readily avilable to everyone else and not the normal nation wide normal high octane and therefore not good to use.
I do not remember myself or anyone agreeing to the rule of a limited converter stall much less 3000.

PLEASE MAKE CORRECTIONS OR SCRAP IT FOR A REDO

THANK BUD

There's problems in that there above that I didn't right in and are misleading.

First: under the carb section, the electric fuel pump, I wrote nothing of the sort. There's is no limiting PSI rule for carbs or fuel injection.
Second: the octane requirement is pump gas that you get at your local gas station and available everywhere.
For some it is 91 octane, others, 93 octane. If 100 octane is available to you, realize that it is not readily avilable to everyone else and not the normal nation wide normal high octane and therefore not good to use.
I do not remember myself or anyone agreeing to the rule of a limited converter stall much less 3000.

PLEASE MAKE CORRECTIONS OR SCRAP IT FOR A REDO

THANK BUD

Updates completed to (post 44)

No problemo updating it, it's a living document to help you facilitate the competition and keep everyone on the same page.

I incorporated the feedback you received throughout the thread and put it all in one place in a format to make it easy to read.

Just let me know what you want to add and remove and I'll keep it updated. Also, let me know if you have a list (or want to track participants).

Keep in mind that I used your original document as the basis.

The one thing I didn't do but will correct and say it twice is;

Thank you! For doing that work. And for the thoughts on particapents.

Can you click on the numbers in the poll section?
I can but I do not know if that is because I am the thread starter. IF you can click on the number, it will show you how is on the list.
And just a side note, we even have some brand spankin new FABO members joining in on this. Now that's cool!

The one thing I didn't do but will correct and say it twice is;

Thank you! For doing that work. And for the thoughts on particapents.

Can you click on the numbers in the poll section?
I can but I do not know if that is because I am the thread starter. IF you can click on the number, it will show you how is on the list.
And just a side note, we even have some brand spankin new FABO members joining in on this. Now that's cool!

You're welcome! I just want to help.
I hope more new members participate if they can. If I had a car to work with I would enter myself.

Rob, does it make sense to create a thread Something like
"Friendly Drag Comp race results"

and place the link in the rules "How does it work?" section next to the line "Once your build is complete Race your local track and report back!" This way it's there waiting for folks to report their results.

Sound good?

The field is up to 35 wild and crazy Cheapo speed freaks, er. Competitors.

1973_Scamp, 318willrun, 340, 440outlawdart, 89on35s, Abodybomber, alcronk, BB4-speed, beebeeri000, BWDart, Cazbah362, CichliDart, Dartnut, derrangedgadgeteer, halifaxhops, hustonr123, Jaime97, jeepers007, jgiljum, justme, Lead foot, metallidart, mikesdart, Mopar to ya, mopar4, ohiocowboy1277, pishta, RaniDart70, Robbie2734, rumblefish360, RustyRatRod, thesiren74, tqfastfish, TXDart, yeah

-
Back