**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
Looks like fun! Curious what rear brake option's you now have.

I understand replacing the 8 3/4" with the 9" ,the extra 1/4 " makes it that much stronger.

Looks like fun! Curious what rear brake option's you now have.

I understand replacing the 8 3/4" with the 9" ,the extra 1/4 " makes it that much stronger.

Actually I could run the same brakes if I wanted to. I would need to change the brake adapter bracket. When I order my new axles I will be getting them drilled for Mopar BB Pattern, you can also ask for them to have the Mopar Centering ring to accept the Mopar Hat/Rotor etc.

I just purchased the 9" 3rd Member. I went with a Yukon Nodular Iron Case, 35 Spline Spool, Aluminum Big Bearing Daytona Pinion Support. Billet Steel 1350 Yoke, New bearings, Hardware and 3.50 Gear Ratio. I also purchased the Back Brace and Big Fill that mounts on the top of the Housing along with a Drain Plug Set up.

The axles will be ordered as soon as the New Ends are welded on and I verify what Brake Package I will be using. Most likely it will be a Wilwood set up that has the Parking Brake feature in it.... The Stand out for the brakes needs to be calculated correctly before I order my Axles. I used 2.5" when cutting the housing to length which is standard when ordering Ford Axles but the brake kits mostly say for 2.36 Stand out. I need to call to get this figured out on the Brakes before I order the Axles. I don't think a .140 difference is that much when talking about brakes/Pads etc but apparently it is?

Louis why not a 9 1/4 Mopar unit?

Too heavy and the gear choices are limited unlike the Ford 9".

Next time you are at the Race Track, look at what the faster cars are running. I would say 95% of them are running a Ford 9" no matter what manufacturer of car it is. That right there has got to speak pretty loud in itself.

Too heavy and the gear choices are limited unlike the Ford 9".

Next time you are at the Race Track, look at what the faster cars are running. I would say 95% of them are running a Ford 9" no matter what manufacturer of car it is. That right there has got to speak pretty loud in itself.

I'm guessing it's closer to 90% the others are on a dana60. But that's just being picky lol.

I'm guessing it's closer to 90% the others are on a dana60. But that's just being picky lol.

Yes you are probably closer, I tend to over exagerate sometimes! haa:D

Another reason to run the 9" vs the Dana is for the ease of gear ratio changes. It is alot easier with a Drop out 3rd member. Some guys have several with them . A Dana is not friendly like that.

Agreed, but I like to be diffrent, and dint plan on swapping gears all that often. My car has a Dana from a 69 F250 that has been narrowed and set up with mopar ends. I can't wait to actually put power to it.

Agreed, but I like to be diffrent, and dint plan on swapping gears all that often. My car has a Dana from a 69 F250 that has been narrowed and set up with mopar ends. I can't wait to actually put power to it.

Right on. What kind of brakes are you running with it?

Well I went cheap on the rear brakes. I am going to use the same set up I have. I called tsmfg.com and ordered up the Ford brackets that will work along with some brake line tabs, all for $98.00, Ill take the $$ I was going to spend on the rear and get a nice wilwood set up for the front. This will help shed about 20lbs on the front end. Later on I will sell the Rear set up and upgrade to the wilwoods.

I'm running a cheap set from summit. But they are ssbc calipers. I'll upgrade them later but fir now they will work.

My fronts fronts are factory stock, but all new parts from autozone. Butthe way I seeitwith a 4in wide front and a 10.50 rear most of the stoppingwill have to be done witb the rear tires (due to contact area) and atthe track I have a feeling that I'll be needing a chute. So who even needs brakes then......

My fronts fronts are factory stock, but all new parts from autozone. Butthe way I seeitwith a 4in wide front and a 10.50 rear most of the stoppingwill have to be done witb the rear tires (due to contact area) and atthe track I have a feeling that I'll be needing a chute. So who even needs brakes then......

Yeah I will be adding Wheelie Bar tabs on the 9" and adding the mounts to the rear of the car for a Parachute also. This way they are at least there and I wont need to do surgery later to add them. I like the Idea of a flip down Lic Plate and you stick the parachute in a receiver hitch hidden under it and pin it.

Actually only about 25% of those racers are running a Ford 9". 65% of those guys are running a rearend based on a Ford 9" with about 2% Ford being used lol!

Mad,

On my 9" I ran DAna/8.75 housing ends then ran a basic Dana rear brake kit.... just be sure to account for the .25" caliper brackets per side.

Yeah I will be adding Wheelie Bar tabs on the 9" and adding the mounts to the rear of the car for a Parachute also. This way they are at least there and I wont need to do surgery later to add them. I like the Idea of a flip down Lic Plate and you stick the parachute in a receiver hitch hidden under it and pin it.

Just wish my CNC plasma was up and running (still building it) I could cut the brackets and tabs for ya.

Mad,

On my 9" I ran DAna/8.75 housing ends then ran a basic Dana rear brake kit.... just be sure to account for the .25" caliper brackets per side.

Thanks for the information. I already ordered up the brackets I need for the conversion for my basic brake set. I used the Big Ford Bearing ends. By doing this the axle Diameter is quite a bit bigger than the Mopar from what I see between the two.

Thanks for the information. I already ordered up the brackets I need for the conversion for my basic brake set. I used the Big Ford Bearing ends. By doing this the axle Diameter is quite a bit bigger than the Mopar from what I see between the two.

If I recall it's a 3" tube.

Hmmm I'd like to see a pic of that housing... I have a NASCAR stamped housing and it had double wall floating axles in it which were 3" tubes.

-
Back