Updates on the Demon Project

-
One quarter window complete and temp installed. I tore one of the forward seals so now I got to wait for a replacement. They are delicate. As I've said I bought this car in boxes so there's a lot of trial and error when fitting components back. Also does anyone have a picture of where and how the rain dust shields install below the quarter windows? They are black plastic pieces with two clips to secure them. Thank you.

IMG_2973.JPG

Starting on the interior. Wanted to lay the new carpet out and let it relax. My constant companion decided he wanted to help me out.

IMG_0057 (2).JPG

Ok. Been busy last couple of days. Small stuff to some but making progress to me. Carpet is in, sill plates and extensions, got inside of driver door painted and weather seal installed. Heater box broke when trying to attach hook to bracket so had to regroup there and made doubler plates inside and out. May not be exact but won't be an issue again in my life. Installed trim passenger side gutter.

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

Sooo close to being driveable. Hopefully have front and rear windows installed next week or two. Gonna farm that one out. Got the seals but.... So I've been working interior, had the covers put on my seats and installed them. I know the covers aren't correct for a Demon but they are the style I liked. So maybe a few weeks and get to take this thing down the road.

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

Sooo close to being driveable. Hopefully have front and rear windows installed next week or two. Gonna farm that one out. Got the seals but.... So I've been working interior, had the covers put on my seats and installed them. I know the covers aren't correct for a Demon but they are the style I liked. So maybe a few weeks and get to take this thing down the road.

View attachment 1715037229

View attachment 1715037230

View attachment 1715037231
Seats look great. Need to recover my bench too. What did you do with headrests? Were they redone too? Mine have cracks and I need to switch from green to black in color

Thank you. The headrest were in fairly good shape to begin with. One was cracked on the underside so it was repaired. The covering on these headrest are a thermoplastic type of covering and I don't think there's a lot that can be done with them. Maybe have them covered but not sure how that would turn out.

Been working on little things. Had to put front and rear glass on hold, windshield was toast, found after cleaning it up. I did get my new heater motor wired up because I used a shorter motor for the big block clearance, and doors together. Had to order inside handles but the locks all work as they should. Door jamb switches were a bear. They're the 1/2" instead of 3/8". Bought repro for drivers (3 pin). And one for chevy van for passenger. The chevy one is longer so I took it apart and shortened it to work, had to shorten the metal stem going thru and cut down the guide the button slides into and the spring. New windshield will be in tomorrow and hopefully I can get the man out to install them this week. I plan on getting car back on lift and going over everything underneath front to rear to make sure it's all good.

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

Glass is in finally. Got to put rear seat etc back in. Pulled it out to make it easier to install window. The rear window wore the installers out. For some reason it decided to be a bear. Dash needs to go in. Got a guy lined up to do the tail pipes. Maybe on the road in a week or two.

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

Been busy last couple weeks. Seat belts installed, dash, instrument cluster is temp installed (still got stuff to do behind it). Keep running into little things with nuts and bolts to figure out. Got insurance set up, went with Chrome thru ANPAC with an agreed on replacement value.

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

View attachment 1715045828

Wow nice work... can't wait to start on mine. .

Thank you. Been a long road. You got a 71 also?

I have a 68 Barracuda 383s 4 speed. .
But always wanted a 71 Duster , there is just something about those rear taillights that really gets me lol..
Keep up the great work

I have a 68 Barracuda 383s 4 speed. .
But always wanted a 71 Duster , there is just something about those rear taillights that really gets me lol..
Keep up the great work
very nice build. How did you get the front edge mounting bolts for the dash frame in with the windshield already installed?

Hello, I knew that would be asked and I kick my self for not taking pictures. I went to ACE hardware and bought some spring u nuts like the picture. The dash was just the frame no dash pad or anything at all installed in it. I lowered the steering column as it's not fully installed, meaning the plates at firewall aren't tightened with the bolts loose. I found it easier to not hang the dash frame on the two bolts behind the kick panels. I did have to trim a minor amount on the dash on the 5 "tabs" where the upper bolts behind the windshield install for the clips to slide on far enough to be over the holes on the dash frame. I flipped the clips over on the dash frame so the screws mount from the bottom. I then worked the mount above the steering column into position over the studs where the column mounts. I then Pushed the dash frame top in and had to work it uner the rubber extension on the windshield seal. With nothing installed in the dash frame everything was visible and pretty easy to access. There are openings where the dash pad mounts that allow an easy line of sight to the holes for the mounts. After I started the screws into the dash from underneath I used a gear wrench to tighten. I did use a cotter pin extractor to help align the screw holes. After that I worked the lower 2 side bolts into the the lower frame mounts. These took a little pushing on the frame to get aligned with the holes. From there I started installing the glove box liner, wiring harness etc, the heater box was already installed to the firewall. I used an APIPCO glove box liner as well. Actually it wasn't too bad of a job once I got the proper hardware to put the dash frame in. Few minor scrapes and bumps and for the most part I didn't have to lay on my back and work over my head. Hope this helps.

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3192.JPG

First day of me having the Demon on the road. Clocked about 15 miles. Still need to get it aligned and tail pipes made. Also needs some detailing and tidying some things up. First time I've driven the car as it was a "roller" when I got it. Actually rides and drives pretty nice.

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

Wow the body and paint look gorgeous I could just sit and look at it all day. . congratulations. .

Thank you. It's my first attempt at paint and body work.

That looks absolutely beautiful!! You should be very proud of yourself! Thanks for sharing your build.

Thanks all for the interest and encouragement. The next adventure will be the side and tail panel stripes.

Cool. I think once it has strips then it will really set it off.

-
Back