What is with people Today?

-
It is not just with phone calls, but in general. Had some very frustrating experience in my recent trip to AZ. Left a bad enough taste in mouth that it pretty much cost me a friendship......

So I want to pose this question to all, to get your opinions.

Why is it that when you do business with someone now a days, and that person says they will call you back they Never do?

Perhaps it is because I am from California and have lived there for most of my life and now live in Texas, but it seems like no matter what I do, or what I buy the person I am dealing with will say that they will call me back, and I end up calling them back days later.

And what excuse do I get for them not returning my call? "You were on the list of people for me to call" What list? Where was I at on the list? The bottom, and when were you going to call me, just this side of never?

Even when I offer someone a free couch, in good shape they still do not call me back. I am buying a Fifth wheel and yet still no call back from the salesman regarding the final price, I had to call.

Perhaps I am too impatient, but after two days hey call me especially when you said you would call me later that day, 2 days ago.

OK my wife is calling me so I gotta go, but lets hear from you what does everyone else think about this issue.

Am I too impatient or are people getting lazy?

It's called "A Lack of Customer Service".

Customer service is a thing of the past. The problem is over the years we've come to expect and accept less and less from those we do business with, and that includes everyone from the President of some companies to waiters and waitresses. It seems that they have no idea what good customer service is.

How many times have you walked into a fast food restaurant and waited at the counter because the teenagers and young adults are too busy having personal discussions at the top of their lungs, or playing grab *** with each other, the the idiot who is supposed to be the manager on duty is no better. Yet, they see nothing wrong with their behavior.

Then there are personal cell phone calls while you're waiting for service.

I can go on, but you get my drift. In short, everything is more important than paying attention to your customer.

Recently my wife and I went out to have lunch at a local restaurant. The hostess sat us quickly, but it took a while for the waitress to get to us. After 6 or 7 minutes, I took out about 10 one dollar bills and placed them on the table, and I explained to the waitress that that was her tip. Each time she screws up, I'm taking a dollar away. I then took one dollar away for having to wait so long for her to even acknowledge that we were sitting there.
At the end of the meal, she made a 6 dollar tip. She screwed up my order, and she screwed up my wife's drink, and she also messed up my drink order, "Shaken, not stirred". ;)

Based on 18%, her tip should have been about $8.00. Had she been perfect, I would have given her all $10.00. Her lack of professionalism and customer service cost her $4.00 of her tip.

It's called "A Lack of Customer Service".

Customer service is a thing of the past. The problem is over the years we've come to expect and accept less and less from those we do business with, and that includes everyone from the President of some companies to waiters and waitresses. It seems that they have no idea what good customer service is.

How many times have you walked into a fast food restaurant and waited at the counter because the teenagers and young adults are too busy having personal discussions at the top of their lungs, or playing grab *** with each other, the the idiot who is supposed to be the manager on duty is no better. Yet, they see nothing wrong with their behavior.

Then there are personal cell phone calls while you're waiting for service.

I can go on, but you get my drift. In short, everything is more important than paying attention to your customer.

Recently my wife and I went out to have lunch at a local restaurant. The hostess sat us quickly, but it took a while for the waitress to get to us. After 6 or 7 minutes, I took out about 10 one dollar bills and placed them on the table, and I explained to the waitress that that was her tip. Each time she screws up, I'm taking a dollar away. I then took one dollar away for having to wait so long for her to even acknowledge that we were sitting there.
At the end of the meal, she made a 6 dollar tip. She screwed up my order, and she screwed up my wife's drink, and she also messed up my drink order, "Shaken, not stirred". ;)

Based on 18%, her tip should have been about $8.00. Had she been perfect, I would have given her all $10.00. Her lack of professionalism and customer service cost her $4.00 of her tip.

Years ago the stacked tip-o-meter worked well, but today they do not get the tips alone they have to share so it does not have the same effect that it used to have, but it does feel good to take those dollars away.

It is not about integrity it is about your word. If I say I am going to call you back in an hour then even if I have no new news I am going to call you back in an hour.
No state is better than the other, people do not hold their word anywhere in the world anymore.

That is all I am saying.

Unfortunately we live in an "all about me world" anymore. People seem to care less and less about what they do or say.

As the generations change so do the way things are done. Integrity, honesty, effort, are all a lost art to some, it simply isn't being adhered to like it should, or taught for that matter.

Years ago the stacked tip-o-meter worked well, but today they do not get the tips alone they have to share so it does not have the same effect that it used to have, but it does feel good to take those dollars away.

In my profession I work for tips. Like any job it has it's good points and bad points. No customer has ever used the 'stacked tip-o-meter' on me. I would take it in stride and give the same impeccable service I strive to give however it would feel demeaning to me. You would feel the same if someone hired you and then said, "I'll be watching to see if you slip up, so I can deduct your pay." Don't forget that these same young people with no work ethic might also have no problem messing with the food they serve you. "Food" for thought.

It happens to me constantly. I now automaticaly assume that whoever I deal with will not call back so I don't get so pizzed off and if they do, its all good.

I think it is that people are too big of pussies to tell you the truth. They don't have the balls to be honest and tell you, "I am not interested", or "I can't afford it" or "I changed my mind" (what little there is of it)...

They think that they look better stringing you along and playing the "I'll call you later" game.

Or some people just think that it is not "politically correct" to tell you the truth that they do not even intend to call you back.

Also, keep in mind that "common sense" is not common any more... Sad...

Also respecting other's property has gone also. When we grew up you were taught to respect others property and treat it better than if it were yours. Now it's the "if I can't have one myself, I will ruin/break/damage his..." Their jealous *** thinks that if they can't have one, nobody else deserves it also.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

People that do this don't expect to be called out about not returning calls, so I quit trying to be "sensitive to other's feelings". I tell them I never get calls back and I don't expect to get one from them.

If I'm writing a craigslist ad for a car sale, I make a point to inform the "I might get back with you's" that I'm absolutely selling the item to the very first person that brings money.

This type of attitude seems harsh but it's effective at weeding out those erratic, unpredictable, undependable people I can't stand dealing with.

For those who are talking about customer service let me put the shoe on the other foot a moment. Just to play devil's advocate.

I'm a one man shop. As such my scheduling is pretty tight. I answer the phone, I write the estimates, the repair orders, handle the bills, deal with vendors to find the parts, and also deal directly with the customers.

In the past two weeks I've had four cancellations. No, scratch that, I've had two cancellations and two no-shows. When customers call a day ahead of time to cancel or reschedule it means I can then fill that space with something else. No-shows? The last time it happened I had a two hour hole in my day that I couldn't fill. Yes, I called my other customers to see if they wanted to come in sooner, but sometimes customers' calenders are written in stone.

I can tell you that's it's not a generational thing. I've had 50somethings be no shows; I've had teenagers call and cancel and vice versa.

People are people. Unfortunately, it has more to do with a lack of manners and thoughtfulness towards others in a day to day world where you see folks running red lights in front of you because they're willing to risk an accident to save a few minutes of time in their so-called important lives as they endanger the lives of those around them. These same people have jobs, these same people let that attitude bleed over into day to day interactions with those around them.

Face facts we're getting old and life is speeding up and things are getting lost in the fre` Jumping up and down will only make you wish for the good old days, that are gone. But hopefully not forgotten. I to am a one man shop. Scheduling is fixed by customer deposits for a time slot. This will encourage them showing up, if not will cover the time lost. -my .2

Rameth

I know about the no shows and cancellations working in auto glass industry. I see it at work all of the time. My boss hits the roof and then I get to go home early. lol

where I live in So.Illinois there are the HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS. The have own all the businesses and the have nots deal with them. I am in a wedding next month and the shop where I was told to go get measured for my fancy suit is only open 27 hours a week. they are open WED> THUR>FRI from 8 to 5. I work 70>80 hrs a week and am the busy days are the days this shop is open. I called the shop and left my name and phone number asking how best to work out this problem. I finally parked my Semi and 53 ft. trailer in the street 4 days later and walked into this shop and told the woman why I was there and she said ( oh I was wondering how I was going to get a call to you) it took her 4 days to figure all she had to do was pick up the phone and dial the number I left her and my phone would ring and I would answer it and we would talk. I am 62 yrs old and am scared of the way the people are changing, the service industry sucks anymore. And please don't cry that you run the complete show by yourself and thats why it takes so long to get back to a customer, hire a young person and teach them the correct way to run a business so things can turn around for the next generation. Things will remain the same unless the youth is taught how to do thing different. Remember we are dealing with the LOST GENERATION now and if we don't educate the ones coming up no one will. Sorry for the long rant but that is my .25 cents.

Seen lazy and work mentioned a few times. Just visited my transmission buddy in AZ. His son, who was the builder recently quit to go work with his brother. My buddy, who pays his employees well, could not find any body that was willing to work. He was not even looking for a builder, just a r&r general mechanic type of guy. He ended up waving more income at a person he knows that was working at another shop. Pretty sad that in this goofy *** economy and high un-employment he could not find any body wanting to work.....

I had a car salesman send me a text asking me what he had to do to earn my business after I had been looking at a new Challenger. I texted back and told him he just lost my business because he texted.

-
Back