You can't tell some young guys anything!

-
I have a 96 Neon with 250K on the odometer. Always ran Valvoline 30 or 20w50, still has the original catalytic convertor. Same for my 1998 4.0 Cherokee. Maybe if you have an oil burner?

That's not diesel oil is it?

Also Mystik JT8 has a API rating of CK4 and you can buy a 2gal jug for $29.95

I have a 96 Neon with 250K on the odometer. Always ran Valvoline 30 or 20w50, still has the original catalytic convertor. Same for my 1998 4.0 Cherokee. Maybe if you have an oil burner?
I`ve posted this before, but back when we were racing the hemi , we used 3-4 diff kinds of oil/whatever our ''small time'' sponsers would furnish, the hemi did not give a dam what brand it was, and not particular to 30/40 or 50 weight racing oil Just didn`t matter < as long as there was plenty of good flow! Oils have changed a bunch since then, but as long as its reasonably clean and plenty of it , it still don`t make a hell of a lot of diff. I have used even Walmart tech oils in my 505 and a few higher priced brands, dodn`t seem to make a piddlers dam !
The new tite tolerance engines need a liter weight maybe , but the brand still don't make a diff., as long as its decent oil.

I`ve posted this before, but back when we were racing the hemi , we used 3-4 diff kinds of oil/whatever our ''small time'' sponsers would furnish, the hemi did not give a dam what brand it was, and not particular to 30/40 or 50 weight racing oil Just didn`t matter < as long as there was plenty of good flow! Oils have changed a bunch since then, but as long as its reasonably clean and plenty of it , it still don`t make a hell of a lot of diff. I have used even Walmart tech oils in my 505 and a few higher priced brands, dodn`t seem to make a piddlers dam !
The new tite tolerance engines need a liter weight maybe , but the brand still don't make a diff., as long as its decent oil.

I agree to a point and it was about 10 years ago my friend raced late model stock cars and was going to a track they were never at before and borrowed
a 9" diff from a friend for a different ratio, then they bought a gal of gear oil on the way to the track changed the gear and put in the junk oil they thought was good gear oil and proceeded to smoke the ring & pinion to the point they were all kinds of colors in the gear that weren't there before and scores of scores in the teeth. I didn't know that cheap gear oil even existed. the gears were set up correctly because they had been run for years in another race car for that one track.

MY dad always told me that God give you 1 mouth and 2 ears, that was so you should listen twice as long as you talk. Might sound bad to some of the young guns, A good example i told my son is if i drive from Tn. to Cal. and get a bad meal, then stop at a motel that has bedbugs, if he is going to come the same route next week, not to eat at the same place i did, and don't stay at the bad motel, it don't mean i am smarter than him, it means i've already walked that path, so listen to what i'm telling you and you might have a better experience on your way than i did.

i find it just as hard talking to and getting through to old heads that are still stuck in 19 freaking 70.

no need to run rotella in a 90 jeep motor. can ya run it? sure. is there a need to? no.

Absolutely it is. I see old guys every single day wanting to run 10/40 and 20/50 in their newer Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks and cars. Most of them I am able to steer in the right direction, but a few are just die hard morons. You're dead right. It's not just the younger generation.......but they do contribute. lol

Absolutely it is. I see old guys every single day wanting to run 10/40 and 20/50 in their newer Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks and cars. Most of them I am able to steer in the right direction, but a few are just die hard morons. You're dead right. It's not just the younger generation.......but they do contribute. lol
RRR by the way, MY crap hand always fills up first for me.

That's not diesel oil is it?

Good oil is good oil. The engine does not care. Lots of guys use it. I would not hesitate to use it, I just know what works for me. I'm not sure I am buying the Zinc Catalytic Convertor caveat. The only mistake the OP made is arguing about it.

i find it just as hard talking to and getting through to old heads that are still stuck in 19 freaking 70.

You mean the crew that thinks 3500 converters are sloppy and inefficient. LOL

The car has 35* of total timing... that's all I need to do with the ignition timing.

Those are my two favorites from the older crew. I'm over 50 and both those statements are from individuals that are living in the past and out of your favorite mopar bible!

I'm trying to tell a young mechanic about T4 Rotella and to put it in an older truck engine at the shop a 1990 4.0 Jeep six cylinder..Nope that's for diesels only..No way should I be putting that in any gas engine. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LH7L0D0/?tag=joeychgo-20

Is it good or am I the idiot in this argument?

Hmmm... sounds like my six year old, he gets very excited when explaining. But he's six!

STP, Hastings motor honey, older but smarter. I've never found anything in my wish hand?

I have run into the same problem with young guys, which is why older men are more fun to hang out with. LOL

LMAO!!! I’m an older man..... <jk>

Youth, often coupled with knowing it all and danm it to hell on your experience.

Smarter people has the ability to shift thru mis information, to sift thru the BS and old wives tales, but to understand everything on the computer or "modern" info is not always correct either!!!!
When someone ays smething does not work, they should always be able to explain WHY!?//

Types of synthetic oil | Mobil™ Motor Oils
They can contain very different types and combinations of base oils and additives. Even minor differences in formulation can have a major effect on performance. For example, add a bit more of one additive and you get better cleanliness, but you might lose some wear protection. Cut back on this additive and you get better performance at high temperatures, but the cold-weather startup isn’t as good.

Excessive soap bubbles on your clothing and the inside of the washing machine indicates you might have been a bit overzealous with the detergent. Although it's important to use enough detergent to get clothing clean, too much can result in laundry that's stiff and irritating to the skin.

I'm a synthetic guy and I don't use too much soap.
jim-bob-and-the-leisure-suits-girls-girls-girls-polyester-records-s.jpg

ddf0264244e66a4df9ecdd4fabbbef95.jpg

I'll just change the oil myself then and not tell him..Funny thread guys. Thanks:lol:

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of a guy over on FMJ's who absolutely will not run synthetics in his older Mopars because he read some half assed articles on the internet years ago.

The Internet is the fount of all knowledge.

"They didn't have synthetics back then!"

Ummm.. Amzoil, Royal Purple, and Mobil one have been around for how long?

Maybe the newbie is one of those guys: I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.

When Freiburger uses that Amzoil in engines I think about it ..but I'll stick with the old stuff still :lol:

I wish every oil jug sold had to have a data sheet printed on the back like a bag of Taco Chips so you could see all of the stuff you're getting

-
Back