´70 Valiant / Upper ball joint

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys, have got a ´70 Valiant 4dr in the shop, needs some attention at the front suspension. It´s originally equipped with the KH disc brakes. I ordered Moog K704 ball joints for the UCA, now i´m not so sure if these are correct.....the ones that are installed do have a bigger wrench size than the new ones. The new ones do have from flat to flat around 1,75".....can´t even find a tool for these. Do i have the wrong ball joints for this application? I searched and ordered the part via Rockauto, don´t think they have a mistake in their catalogue....

If the BJ is correct then a hint regarding the right tool would be great!

thanks in advance!

Michael

So the part number you gave is correct for the small upper ball joint. The same was used on all A bodies up until 72. As for the tool for those it looks like this and I believe that to be the correct size as well.
Search the tool outlets for balljoint socket. They cost around $30 so I wouldn’t skimp and use anything else

6B5FF6DE-062B-48EB-A088-36AB21A72AF3.png

Hi Guys, have got a ´70 Valiant 4dr in the shop, needs some attention at the front suspension. It´s originally equipped with the KH disc brakes. I ordered Moog K704 ball joints for the UCA, now i´m not so sure if these are correct.....the ones that are installed do have a bigger wrench size than the new ones. The new ones do have from flat to flat around 1,75".....can´t even find a tool for these. Do i have the wrong ball joints for this application? I searched and ordered the part via Rockauto, don´t think they have a mistake in their catalogue....

thanks in advance!

Michael
It’s originally equipped with kelsEy Hayes, is that what is on the car now? What bolt pattern do you have?

The 1 59/64 ball joint socket is for the larger 73-76 ball joint.
The correct socket for Moog K704 is 1 3/4 inch.
These sockets are all 1 3/4 inch, pick the brand you want.
Proto 6549-L
Mac SC52
Snap On S6302
These can be found on eBay.
If you're using a 1/2 drive ratchet, then adapter will be needed to go from 1/2 to 3/4.

thanks in advance!

Michael
This is what I used with a four foot pipe on my 1/2" breaker bar. Also needed a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter for the socket.
Powerbuilt Specialty Ball Joint Sockets, Remove and Install Ball Joints Chrysler Car Vehicles, 4-Sided Socket Design, Storage Case, 648749 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028QGT8Q/?tag=fabo03-20
it was a bit loose but if you keep it squared up when using, it will work ok. And also, I got the wrong lower ball joints for my Scamp from Rockauoto. It was their fault and they fixed it after I sent them pictures.
IMG_20211109_162146.jpg

IMG_20211109_162242.jpg

It’s originally equipped with kelsEy Hayes, is that what is on the car now? What bolt pattern do you have?
yes, that´s what is on the car now. Bolt Pattern is the small one, 4", even with the left and right threads still installed.

-
Back