‘64 front door hinge adjustment

-

chinze57

Push Button tranny and a Slant 6 that'll never die
Reaction score
through some stupidity of my own, I bent the hinge of my driverms side door. Enough that I could close it from the outside but not from the inside. I replaced my entire door hinge with one from a Donor car, and after lots of adjustment got it to be able to be closed inside and out. The alignment isn’t perfect but it’s pretty good. After a few days, I’ve noticed that some playback has come into the hinge. I tightened every bolt down to 180 inch pounds which is what my manual tells me to tighten them to.

Is there any way to reduce the play? And any tips for perfecting the alignment? It’s close to rubbing in the cowl area, but seems good elsewhere. It could probably do to move up maybe .25 inches at the b pillar. Any help is appreciated

through some stupidity of my own, I bent the hinge of my driverms side door. Enough that I could close it from the outside but not from the inside. I replaced my entire door hinge with one from a Donor car, and after lots of adjustment got it to be able to be closed inside and out. The alignment isn’t perfect but it’s pretty good. After a few days, I’ve noticed that some playback has come into the hinge. I tightened every bolt down to 180 inch pounds which is what my manual tells me to tighten them to.

Is there any way to reduce the play? And any tips for perfecting the alignment? It’s close to rubbing in the cowl area, but seems good elsewhere. It could probably do to move up maybe .25 inches at the b pillar. Any help is appreciated
Did you back into something with the door open? If so, you may have pushed the hinge pillar in. That would explain why the door is touching the cowl
when door is closed. Forget all the torque specs, just get everything tight. I assume you are aware that there is a bolt on the inside of the hinges as well.

The only ways to get rid of wear in the hinge is to either rebush or oversize pin it, or to replace the hinge with one without any play. The hinge has adjustment on the door side and the body side. Sometimes it takes a bit to get it right. If you've bent the door or pillar, you may need to straighten that out first.

Did you back into something with the door open? If so, you may have pushed the hinge pillar in. That would explain why the door is touching the cowl
when door is closed. Forget all the torque specs, just get everything tight. I assume you are aware that there is a bolt on the inside of the hinges as well.
Yep I backed into a gas pump with the door open ever so slightly. Didn't even consider the pillar would be bent. Thank you

-
Back