‘71 340 Duster Manual Drum to Disc Front & Rear

-

JimG

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for recommendations on the best fitment, ease of installation, and most complete kits for both front and rear conversation.

I am not concerned with originality regarding date codes/part numbers.

I realize that this will require a complete tire/wheel change from 14” 5 on 4 to 15” 5 on 4.5. I plan on purchasing Year One aluminum Mopar Rallye wheels. Front & rear size/offset recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Jim
F6D8E535-D50C-4B9B-89D3-0F448EF7A85A.jpeg

I plan on purchasing Year One aluminum Mopar Rallye wheels.

Those are 15"? Also, you might want to rethink that. The front front offsets do not work well at all with A-bodies. Those were designed for B & E bodies.

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations on the best fitment, ease of installation, and most complete kits for both front and rear conversation.

I am not concerned with originality regarding date codes/part numbers.

I realize that this will require a complete tire/wheel change from 14” 5 on 4 to 15” 5 on 4.5. I plan on purchasing Year One aluminum Mopar Rallye wheels. Front & rear size/offset recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

JimView attachment 1715973574

Hi Jim,

Check Dr. Diff for combinations. Here's one for use with 14" wheels.

10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

Check with the owner, his name is Cass.

Highly reputable and fantastic service as I'm sure a lot of members on here will agree with.

Those are 15"? Also, you might want to rethink that. The front front offsets do not work well at all with A-bodies. Those were designed for B & E bodies.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I was unclear on this. The pic shows the factory 14” wheels. The kits I have researched indicate that they are made to fit 15” - 5 on 4.5 wheels, and are designed to accommodate the deeper backspace/offset. I will confirm this prior to purchase. I appreciate your response.

Scarebird and Wilwood offer disk conversions for either 9" or 10" front drum spindle/hub that keep the SBP wheels. If you change to BBP 5 x 4.5", your spare tire won't fit both front and rear unless you go big at the rear. But then, many new cars today don't even provide a spare (call a tow truck). The Dr Diff kit (and others) change the whole front spindle, hub, and ball joints to a factory 1973+ BBP front disk setup.

Scarebird and Wilwood offer disk conversions for either 9" or 10" front drum spindle/hub that keep the SBP wheels. If you change to BBP 5 x 4.5", your spare tire won't fit both front and rear unless you go big at the rear. But then, many new cars today don't even provide a spare (call a tow truck). The Dr Diff kit (and others) change the whole front spindle, hub, and ball joints to a factory 1973+ BBP front disk setup.
Very useful information. Thanks, Bill!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I was unclear on this. The pic shows the factory 14” wheels. The kits I have researched indicate that they are made to fit 15” - 5 on 4.5 wheels, and are designed to accommodate the deeper backspace/offset. I will confirm this prior to purchase. I appreciate your response.
752DA589-491E-4223-8539-29E02651C230.png

This is the aluminum Rallye from Year One. They are 17”. The 15’s are steel.

I think you should make a priorities check. What are your main concerns? Convert to disc? Check. 15” vs 14”? Bigger tire selection in 15”. Check.
Is the bolt pattern size important to you?
Sounds to me like a swap to the 1973+ disc spindles and larger single piston caliper is your best route. It gets you the 5x4.5” stud spacing. Just buy the bigger bolt pattern axles for the rearend at the same time.

View attachment 1715973717

This is the aluminum Rallye from Year One. They are 17”. The 15’s are steel.

I think you should make a priorities check. What are your main concerns? Convert to disc? Check. 15” vs 14”? Bigger tire selection in 15”. Check.
Is the bolt pattern size important to you?
Sounds to me like a swap to the 1973+ disc spindles and larger single piston caliper is your best route. It gets you the 5x4.5” stud spacing. Just buy the bigger bolt pattern axles for the rearend at the same time.
Thank you for that explanation. I was mistaken on the wheel size. I will research per your suggestion.

-
Back