“PermaDry”Timing cover gasket

-

elvaliant66

Reaction score
Prepping the magnum engine. On tear down I noticed the engine still had “oem” gaskets.the timing cover in particular ,I’ve seen paper/composite gaskets before but the one it had was a pretty thick silicone/ metal gasket. I’ve ordered the gasket set from scram speed but it came with a paper timing cover gasket . It being a magnum I thought all the gaskets have been “upgraded” as like the oil pan. I ordered another timing cover gasket (felpro PermaDry) it is a bit closer to what it originally had but just not as thick. The paper gasket is ~.025 - .030 thick and the permadry (steel/silicone) is about ~.022 -.025 thick . Has anyone used the permadry gasket? Does anyone know what the oem gasket part number is? .

I have used the Fel Pro blue gasket that comes in the sets and I think I got a Mahle or Victor Reinz set once also. No troubles with any of them.

The current Mopar part number appears to be 53021057AB and it is a different material from the others, but I have not tried one yet because they are more expensive.

Also, what year was your Magnum? Just curious.

Sweet thanks for the oem part #. Yea I’m sure it will be fine with the blue one I just thought the gasket it previously had was neat because it came off in one piece and there was essentially no gasket scrapping/clean up just took a wipe down on the block and timing cover.

I found one online for $16…but most likely just gonna slap on the perma dry (steel/silicone) and see how that goes .

The block is a ‘94

The currently available Mopar gasket should be similar to Fel Pro blue, just a different material. I don’t remember seeing one with metal in it yet. I have a 94 or 95 here I still need to take apart, and I am curious what it has. Usually the later ones had a very stiff or hard gasket there, but I thought they were conventional materials.

Your 94 should have LA rocker arm oiling holes too. That’s cool.

I found that silicone/steel gasket when I searched up ‘99 magnum on the oreillys website. I thought it would be the same to a ‘94. It had me scratching my head a bit.

Do the later magnums have a different oiling system/passages?

I’ve seen other threads where they mention drilling a hole in the cam thrust plate and the oil plug to get a little more trickle in the chain . Made sense to me so I went ahead and did that

-
Back