002/003 "super stock" leaf springs

-

ScampChamp

Reaction score
I recently purchased some "super stock" springs for my 75 scamp for the purpose of lifting a slightly sagging rear end and to replace the old ones. The numbers on the springs are the 002/003 "super stock" leaf springs which I am told is/was a popular leaf spring. I am wondering what the history is on them. All I heard is they are suppose to be heavy duty that will give me more lift and only came on the A body?? Any help or history would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, the 002-003 are primarily designed for racing applications.

The 002 is installed on the passenger side & 003 on the driver side....

Scampchamp...not sure what your application might be, street or strip but the ss springs wouldn't be my choice for a driver. I'd go with the heavy duties...you can pick them up pretty reasonably from Mancini.

Have them installed on my 71 demon, mine have been on the car for maybe 30 years or more. They ride nice, lift the back about an inch, and the handle a hole shot fine, 4,400 stall. I'm sure mine were made in America but I here reports of the Mexico made ones not being as good.

Except they raise the pass side more than the drivers. They are made this way to plant the right rear harder as the engine torques to the pass side. The trick is to use two 003 springs so the rear sits even. At least for a street car. The 002/003 set works on the launch.

some pics, sits maybe 1/2" higher on the pass side

Attachments

• securedownload (640x480).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,626
  • demon new 003 (1280x853).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,472
  • 71 Demon 340 (50).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,472
Scampchamp...not sure what your application might be, street or strip but the ss springs wouldn't be my choice for a driver. I'd go with the heavy duties...you can pick them up pretty reasonably from Mancini.

I've been running the 002 & 003's for years. I tried the mancini heavy duties on one car when they first came out, but liked the old Super Stock springs better.

I prefer using the 002 & 003 for mine. They ride nice and handle well on the street also. I like the "attitude" that it gives with the rear end slightly higher than the front....

Times,2.... ^^^^ They ride decent enough (it is a hot rod...). ,and they work damn good,without the fabrication garbage game. Extra tip: Buy the Mopar Direct Connection/ Mopar Performance chassis manual,from a local dealer. The 30-40 bucks,a good investment.

I got mine from jegs, the price wasn't bad...
not sure how it compares to the XHD or Hotchkiss or other brands

Contents of Carton No.: 1 1 1 312-P3412003 LEAF SPRING DRAG 119.99 119.99 Contents of Carton No.: 2 1 1 312-P3412002 LEAF SPRING DRAG 119.99 119.99

ScampChamp, the 002/003 are for a car weighing 3,000 lbs. you may get more than a inch or two increase in height.I have them on my Dart and the increase was 5 1/2''. Now that was on a race car only, so you will be in that range with seats, fuel tank, spare and junk in the trunk,,you know what I mean.They will work well on the street as long as you aren't into canyon carving at high speeds.

ScampChamp, the 002/003 are for a car weighing 3,000 lbs. you may get more than a inch or two increase in height.I have them on my Dart and the increase was 5 1/2''. Now that was on a race car only, so you will be in that range with seats, fuel tank, spare and junk in the trunk,,you know what I mean.They will work well on the street as long as you aren't into canyon carving at high speeds.

they did not come stock on any automobile. don`t know about the 68 race hemi-darts tho.

Super Stock springs were designed and developed by a Chrysler engineer named Bob Tarrozzi in 1967. They were developed specifically for the 1968 Hemi Dart and Barracuda program. They are "handed", meaning that they are not interchangeable side to side. The spring with the greatest arch installs on the passenger side of the vehicle. There is approximately 1 1/4" greater arch in the passenger side spring although it will only result in aprox 3/4 inch difference in side to side ride height. You then adjust the LEFT side torsion bar to level the vehicle. If the overall lift is more than needed, simply have a local spring shop decamber ar de-arch the springs slightly. Just keep the differential between the springs the same if you wish to retain the built-in benefit of the spring design. If set up properly, these springs will result in an excellent launch at the strip while retaining reasonable street manners.

Thank you everyone for your responses greatly appreciated I think I will like the a lot a thought about adding a leaf to the driver side to even it out but not sure I care that much. It's strictly a street car maybe some racing a bit down the road. So they are Chrysler made but just for racing and aftermarket applications ok I wasn't sure how they came about thanks again for all info and any other tips!!

Put them on and see how the car sits. I went from 40yr old factory springs to 002/003 S/S springs and the car sits dead level in the back. No torsion bar adjustment !

I just got a set from Jegs, and i can't wait to install them.
$119 a side was pretty cheap i thought. Mine have ''Made in Mexico'' stamped on the bottom. I don't see why they would be inferior, they are a Mopar authentic part.
I'm going to order the Mopar shocks to go with them P4529514 so they will extend the rear properly on the launch.

I'm going to order the Mopar shocks to go with them P4529514 so they will extend the rear properly on the launch.

That's what I did, also replaced all shackle bushings with poly kit from Mopar. Bought everything from my dodge parts dept....

That's what I did, also replaced all shackle bushings with poly kit from Mopar. Bought everything from my dodge parts dept....
X2 and I'm adding a snubber to control wrap as well , you will notice it hit the tires a lot harder with just the springs and as mentioned in another spring thread torquing the U Bolts will also change the ride , I went to 45 lbs as per spec and it changed the feel completely .

PS to the OP the 002/003s are indeed ABody specific 3000-3200lbs to be exact but there are SS Springs for most of the different platforms as well , they are just wheel base and weight dependent .

I have been running super stock springs on my 67 Barracuda and my 65 Dart Wagon I really like the ride and the height the back of the car sits. I put a set of Mancini HYD rear springs on the back of a 68 Dart and after that there was a driveline vibrations which had to be corrected by changing the pinion angle with the Mopar Shim Kit. I have never had a problem with that with the SS springs. My 2 cents

I have the new springs installed and it raised the saggin rear of my scamp a full 4 inches The car does sit slightly unlevel in the back about 1 inch difference exactly. But I don't mind it at all. I am very happy with them and suggest them to anyone. Thanks again everyone

I just found a brand new set under a parts car I bought, it'll be interesting to see how they raise the rear! Planning on running them under Nellas convertible, which says in the rear and has the original springs!

I also have a set of leaf springs under the 66 that came from a 340 Duster, and I added a leaf to the passenger side! Sits just about right for me!! Geof

-
Back