04 ram check enigine light

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
My truck has 89000 miles on it. The enigine light just come on check it said misfire on #1 cylinder so i change the coil. It went off and just came back on. When i start it up to drive it idles really rough and then it is fine. There a lot smoke coming out of the exhaust but it is not oil. I am wondering if it could be a bad calaytic convertor. I havent check the plugs that is the next thing. When the trucks warms up it is fine still smokes a little even when it is 50 degree outside

Plugs are definetly in order. Chrysler says to replace them every 30k miles. They install from the factory basic champion plugs, not platinums. The smoking is probably raw fuel exiting. I bet the electrodes are gone!

were any other "p" codes stored?

chances are it is the plug, but if they look somewhat good swap the number 1 cyl plug with another and see if the missfire moves...ie if u swap with cyl 3 and the code jumps to a p0303...

if the plug is good your next step would be to see if you have a clogged fuel injector

were any other "p" codes stored?

chances are it is the plug, but if they look somewhat good swap the number 1 cyl plug with another and see if the missfire moves...ie if u swap with cyl 3 and the code jumps to a p0303...

if the plug is good your next step would be to see if you have a clogged fuel injector

yep and the bad thing is that this could have killed the cat due to not cycling the cat temp...

I changed the plugs they didnt look that bad elctrode was still there. I got them changed started it. I put some lucas oil injector cleaner in when i fill it up with gas. The light went out for a day came back on today. It started stumbleing when i first start it up again. It runs ok when it warms up. I really wish I could figure it out. I put it on a scanner again before I changed the plugs. It just said the intake air temp senser and #1 cylinder misfire. Nothing about caliytic convertor

Check plug wires too. I had a bad coil wire set all kinds of misfire codes.

-
Back