06 Charger problem?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
The wife was headed home today and as she was making the right turn onto our road (45 deg), the car shut down. Lights were on and of course the power steering was stiff as there was no power. She pulled to the side of the road and put the car in park and turned the key off then started the car back up with no other issues. Any ideas guys? Sounds like some sort of breaker off then on. The oil light came on which is normal when things shut down. She services this car regularly and she is virtually the only driver. I'll check the oil level in the morning but that will be ok i know. It's a 5.7 hemi. Any ideas? I dont need her loosing confidence in her car. It's to costly to make her confident in something.
Small Block

How many miles are on the car?My truck was doing the same thing I did a tune up and it has never died on me again.

Lots could cause that. What speed did it happen at? A few things that come to mind could be egr valve (If happened at slower speed or with foot off gas) or spark plugs can cause that also.

35,000 on the miles and speed was about 25 mph. This happend on deceleration as going into a turn with foot on brake. Could it be a slight bit of water in the gas? I'll put in a can of heet. Probably need to take it in and see what the scanner says. Any other ideas guys?
Thanks
Small Block

my dakota did the same thing, I was turning on a on ramp, did a tune up and ran fine after, I checked my codes and got nothing, also check the air filter, hope you get it running good for her, if momma ain't happy no ones happy:-D

My wife's 07 Charger did the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't find anything wrong with it and it hasn't happened since. Sorry I can't help you but it been bugging me ever since as well.:dontknow:

Bill

My sister has a Chrysler 300 with the 5.7 and has had the same problem 2 or 3 times. Has had it to the dealer and they found nothing. Sorry i cant help but maybe there is something up with electrical/ sensor on the 5.7??

gotta love these new cars with all their electronic gadgets and sensors everywhere. :-D sorry i cant offer any advice. i would be pissed if i spent that much on a car and it just turned off when it wanted.

Time to hook it up to a computer and have every thing checked out
take it out and blow the dust out of ot Bill :happy10:, If she drives like Treva she never get's the engine past 3.600 RPM's
Go out and hit the rev limiter bud :burnout:

Time to hook it up to a computer and have every thing checked out
take it out and blow the dust out of ot Bill :happy10:, If she drives like Treva she never get's the engine past 3.600 RPM's
Go out and hit the rev limiter bud :burnout:

I've done that a few times Mike. I think that's why she won't let me drive it anymore. It's all wheel drive so burnouts suck but 0-60 feet is not bad for a 4 door car.

Bill

I've done that a few times Mike. I think that's why she won't let me drive it anymore. It's all wheel drive so burnouts suck but 0-60 feet is not bad for a 4 door car.

Bill
My wife has a Chrysler Pasifica and the engine light came on and I checked all the fluids "witch there is allot of" and everything looked good and I knew Creed put a new air filter in it :happy10:
So I took it out and wound that thing out and turned around and hit it hard again :-D, got home and shut it off and turned the key on and of two times and then restarted it, Engine light never came back on again :cheers:
That was back in January, about two weeks ago the egr gasket blew out and we had it completely checked out and the air mas sincere was bad and all plugs changed along with wires, she is good to go know :-D

This is called "Limp mode" its when the TCM see's something it doesn't like (engine over reving, tire speed not matching calculation, changed gears, etc) it shuts down causing you to restart the car. I have a 06 charger as well and have out differnt gears, trannys, drive shafts, engines, TCM, and PCM in it... What a PITA it is..lol.. But if your wifes car is stock and it hit limp mode and she turned it off then back on and it works fine then I wouldnt worry one bit about it.

This is called "Limp mode" its when the TCM see's something it doesn't like (engine over reving, tire speed not matching calculation, changed gears, etc) it shuts down causing you to restart the car. I have a 06 charger as well and have out differnt gears, trannys, drive shafts, engines, TCM, and PCM in it... What a PITA it is..lol.. But if your wifes car is stock and it hit limp mode and she turned it off then back on and it works fine then I wouldnt worry one bit about it.

That's good to know. Thanks USCG. I remember reading about limp mode I just don't recall reading that the car actually shut down.

That's good to know. Thanks USCG. I remember reading about limp mode I just don't recall reading that the car actually shut down.

There are a few different types of limp modes.. one is the TCM limp which we discussed and then there is Throttle body limp mode where the TPS in the throttle body doesnt like what it see's and basicly does the same thing the TCM limp does....the throttle positioning sensor TPS has done this to me when I first installed a ported throttle body. It only happend once and it was while I was hwy driving.. same throttle position of a long period of time and when I excelled that when it hit limp mode... only did it one though.

uusually when the 5.7L do that is the egr valve sticking same thing happened on my 06 ram and oh by the way been working on them for over 16 years at the same dealer

My Ex used to have that happen from time to time and it was the silliest thing you could imagine.

She had a key chain with a crap load of stuff on it and it would get swinging and just switch the car off.

Also, I have had a number of cars that have had something go wrong that tripped the check engine light and put the car in limp home mode (the FSM will tell you which trouble codes put the car in limp home mode) and never has it shut the engine down and required a restart to drive it. That would be a law suit waiting for a place to happen if it was designed that way.

35,000 on the miles and speed was about 25 mph. This happend on deceleration as going into a turn with foot on brake. Could it be a slight bit of water in the gas? I'll put in a can of heet. Probably need to take it in and see what the scanner says. Any other ideas guys?
Thanks
Small Block

My Neon has done this to me twice but only after stoping for gas at state line when coming home from Vegas. So I stoped going to that station and have gone to Vegas twice more with no problems. Don't realy know what it was but I just chocked it up as bad gas.

uusually when the 5.7L do that is the egr valve sticking same thing happened on my 06 ram and oh by the way been working on them for over 16 years at the same dealer
i didn't have the egr on my car
My Ex used to have that happen from time to time and it was the silliest thing you could imagine.

She had a key chain with a crap load of stuff on it and it would get swinging and just switch the car off.

Also, I have had a number of cars that have had something go wrong that tripped the check engine light and put the car in limp home mode (the FSM will tell you which trouble codes put the car in limp home mode) and never has it shut the engine down and required a restart to drive it. That would be a law suit waiting for a place to happen if it was designed that way.

the engine doesnt completely shut down

The Dodge Charger forums link I provided has about 20 page of posts about this issue. I still haven't found the definitive fix to give anyone.

The bottom line here is if the car went into limp mode and there is no current check engine light then you do not have an issue. If there is a check engine light on the car and its lit up then there is an issue. These cars are very touchy and throw codes even at the slightest changes.

-
Back