1/2-20 Left Hand "Screw in" Wheel Studs?

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Does anyone make a Left Hand Thread 1/2-20 Screw in Wheel Stud? I know they make em in the standard Right Hand Thread, but I haven't had any luck searching for Left Hand versions.

I'm converting my '48 Dodge over to Studs (uses Lug Bolts) to run Mag Wheels on it, but since it's so old, obviously it has LH & RH Lug Bolts. The Right Hand Bolts are easy to replace with Screw In Studs, since it's RH Thread (has been done before by other people). As for the LH Bolts, I've read about where other people just ran a RH 1/2-20 Tap through the hub and then screwed in regular RH 1/2-20 Studs on both sides of the vehicle (I DO NOT Trust doing something like that, there'd be literally no threads there after you try to cut RH 1/2-20 threads over top of the factory LH 1/2-20 threads) and I don't want to permanently alter the Drums/Hubs, since I'd like to be able to run the stock Lug Bolts & Wheels sometime in the future.

my opinion is change to the rh studs and be done with it.

Any suggestions on how to safely do that, without destroying the NOS Hubs on the truck?

EDIT : Just in case that response came across as rude/nasty (it's not intended to be), I'm genuinely curious.

I have thought about this since you first posted it.

My thoughts is there is no one making a left handed threaded stud that would use a right hand nut because as you try to tighten the lug nut to the right you will unscrew the stud out of the hub.

If you could find left hand lug nuts to fit the wheels you want to use then you might be able to have some machined at a machine shop.

I believe the OP wants LH studs to use LH lug nuts

You could try finding a piece of 1/2"-20 LH all thread and cut your own. Usually
The shortest piece usually you can find are 36" not sure what grades would be available

I would pull the hubs and drill all the way thru and then have the back of the hub spot faced where the stud heads will be and then drive some knurled studs in from the rear. I wouldnt trust studs with nuts.

Dorman makes a left handed stud 1/2''-20 thread they used to be abailable @ NAPA. the problem is the amount of knearled shank and the amount of press. this can be remedied by measuring carefully with verniers. The amount of press should be about .001"-.0015". I have done this several times. What sucks is that aftermarket lugs rarely come left handed. Solution: all right hand lugs. Also, the length of the shank varies, they must be long enough so when the lug nut is tightened there is at LEAST one full thread showing. Good luck

Whatever you do, do NOT use threaded rod. U MUST use hardened stock. Also, I forgot to add that some studs have a straight shank all the way to the knearl, while others have a taper near the knearl to center the rim. Some rims are flat on the inside. Most of modern mags and steelies are this way to accommodiate disc rotors. Most older rims have a slight recess in them for the drum. The rims and studs MUST MATCH or severe vibrations will result. I know this is crazy but FORD steelies work great on Mopars and are cheap and available everywhere

If it is a tapered axle with removable hub you could buy a spare right hub or if there is enough material on the hub bring it to a machine shop and have a second set of holes drilled and tapped.

please post a pic of said hub in question?

I'll have to tear the drum and hub off, could be a while before I have a bay open in the shop. It uses a separate drum & hub like the front of an A-Body

If it is a tapered axle with removable hub you could buy a spare right hub or if there is enough material on the hub bring it to a machine shop and have a second set of holes drilled and tapped.

I've heard of that being done, and it is an option. I'd have to find a RH Front Hub and a RH Rear Hub to do that though. Not sure where I could find those though, no one makes em anymore and NOS stuff is impossible to find (I got lucky and the 4 NOS hubs on my truck came in a big box of parts with the truck when I bought it)

If you decide to look for some hubs I have a Hollander Interchange Manual that would cover your truck.

I've heard that name before, but I'm not familiar with it. I assume its a Cross-Reference Parts List?

If so I'll be in touch as soon as I finish up my '74. Once the body work & paint is done on my '74, I'll be bringing the 48 into the shop for a quick Black paint job (cheap & always classy) and new wheels & tires to start driving it in the Spring.

I've heard that name before, but I'm not familiar with it. I assume its a Cross-Reference Parts List?

If so I'll be in touch as soon as I finish up my '74. Once the body work & paint is done on my '74, I'll be bringing the 48 into the shop for a quick Black paint job (cheap & always classy) and new wheels & tires to start driving it in the Spring.

Yes, they are the manuals that are used in auto salvages to determine what fits what. My collection of them goes back to the 1920s and through 2006.

-
Back