1/2" or 3/4" Sending Unit for 64 Dart GT Tank?

-

Rhetor

Reaction score
Ordering a repro gas tank for the 64 Dart GT . . .

Buying also the rubber grommet and a sending unit . . .

I am finding three sizes advertised on ebay for a new sending unit . . . 1/2" and 3/8" and 5/16 . . . which is it?

And, does anyone have a trustworthy source?

(I am in a co-dependent love/hate relationship with fleabay/ebay!)

Thanks

it all depends on how fast you want to empty the tank LOL. If you have a built motor that sucks a lot of gas, then go with the 1/2". I believe that stock was 5/16". BTW it is the size of the outlet tube on the sending unit that we are talking about.
It can't hurt to go one size bigger than you currently need. That way if you do some performance mods in the future the fuel line should be able to handle it.
I will relate a story to you, however. I put one of these repro tanks and a 5/16" sender in my 64. I'm running a mildly built 360 in it, with a 600 edelbrock. Once I got it running on like my second trip on the highway, I had a problem where all of a sudden it would start shuddering like crazy if I put my foot in it. I found out that the tank had moved a little when I finished tightening the strap bolt and the short length of hose between the hard line and sending unit had not quite kinked, but was still pulled into an S shape. It was just enough restriction to starve the motor of fuel at highway speed. I fixed it up and have not had a problem since. Just something to be aware of, learn from my mistake.
-Tim

it all depends on how fast you want to empty the tank LOL. If you have a built motor that sucks a lot of gas, then go with the 1/2". I believe that stock was 5/16". BTW it is the size of the outlet tube on the sending unit that we are talking about.
It can't hurt to go one size bigger than you currently need. That way if you do some performance mods in the future the fuel line should be able to handle it.
I will relate a story to you, however. I put one of these repro tanks and a 5/16" sender in my 64. I'm running a mildly built 360 in it, with a 600 edelbrock. Once I got it running on like my second trip on the highway, I had a problem where all of a sudden it would start shuddering like crazy if I put my foot in it. I found out that the tank had moved a little when I finished tightening the strap bolt and the short length of hose between the hard line and sending unit had not quite kinked, but was still pulled into an S shape. It was just enough restriction to starve the motor of fuel at highway speed. I fixed it up and have not had a problem since. Just something to be aware of, learn from my mistake.
-Tim

Great story, Tim!

No real mods for me . . . just want to match up what I have now . . . the stock 273 engine . . . I am staying with the 273 which runs great (except when the carb clogs . . . so . . . that must be the 5/16"???

(I will eventually add a 4bbl carb and 4bbl intake to the 273--when I find the right serviceable ones off a 1965 273, but that is about all.)

So . . . 5/16" everybody? Is that the right one for me?

(I am a NUG, so pro DIYers please chime in!)

Not wanting to change any lines from what is stock. Just want to match up old lines with new tank and start having fun without the rust in the tank flying to the carb!

Thanks!

Billy

TTT . . .

All the really smart people are in bed! (Where I should be!)

Hopefully someone will read this in the morning (or an insomniac tonight) and let me know whether my stock 64 Dart GT (273) needs a sending unit that has an out line that is (since all 3 are available out there):

5/16"

or

3/8"

or

1/2"

So I can get the right sending unit order for the survivor car!

Have mercy on a NUG! :)

What diameter is the outlet tube on your current tank? that will be the one you want to go with.

What diameter is the outlet tube on your current tank? that will be the one you want to go with.

I don't know . . . I am 90 minute drive away from the car . . . will not know that until Thursday . . . but figured there was a stock size I could order today.

Stock sending unit/fuel line for your 273 is 5/16".

I have bought 2 tanks and 2 senders from E-bay,with no problems at all.

Stay with the 5/16". That will be all you need.

Thanks all . . . right sending unit, gas tank, and rubber grommet ordered thanks to everyone's help . . . sitting at the front door waiting on the deliveries is probably not a good idea . . . got other stuff to do, but can't hardly wait till parts get here to get started!

Thanks all . . . right sending unit, gas tank, and rubber grommet ordered thanks to everyone's help . . . sitting at the front door waiting on the deliveries is probably not a good idea . . . got other stuff to do, but can't hardly wait till parts get here to get started!

I know that feeling....I've waited many moons for parts...

-
Back