1/4 panel fender lip rolling methods

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
I'll be needing to roll my fender lips the best i can. Without spending $300 on a fancy tool to do it. I do have painted 1/4s I'd like to keep from cracking.

Option one i've heard is cutting a few slits in the lip and using hammer/dolly to get the bend started. Then a block of wood on the other side of the panel (like a big dolly) to complete the roll.

Option two is finding a wooden down and rolling around using the engine to roll the tires at idle speed.

Keeping the likely-hood from cracking some of the paint down, i would think the couple slits and hammering the lip up would be better than the other.

Any opinions?

Thanks. Squeezing 295/45/R18s in :angel4:

I think I suggested option one to you. Thats how I do it. Much easier to roll small section at a time. Use masking tape to save the paint from getting scratched by the dolly.

Thanks adam, i think i may end up doing that. though the wooden bat/dowel idea doesnt sound too shabby either

here are the wheels
100_2039.jpg

100_2037.jpg

100_2039.jpg

100_2039.jpg

100_2037.jpg

100_2037.jpg

Looks Great Goody! The I Have Done The Wooden Thing Before And While It Dosent Make As Much Roll As The Cut Off Wheel Slit Every Couple Of Inches But Since You Already Painted The Car The Wooden Bat Will Be Safe...we Used Duct Tape Wraped Around The Bat And Wd 40 And Used The Tire As The Fulcrum Point. Of Corse My Buddies Was So Close We Had To Jack Up The Car So As To Git The Bat Inbetween The Body And The Tire And We Even Easd Down On The Jack To Help Keep Pressure Constant....btw Go To Your Local Wheel And Tire Shop And Buy A Set Of Center Cap Stick-ons With Something Than That Horribly Mishapen "worm" On Them....

Thanks, im up in the air on which method. ill wait for tires to come and see how far i have to take it. as far as the snake goes, it wont be a big deal. Since likely ill be doing a cobra brake swap! lol

looking good man... love the wheels especially on the yellow car.. than again i'm kinda parcial to them...lol

dartsthmtn.jpg

dartsthmtn.jpg

dartsthmtn.jpg

Go to the local thrift shop and pick up a pair of baseball bat's with different sized barrels. Cut the small one in half to start the rolling process with the handle end. It works best when you let the car pull in the bat and you keep the handle perpendicular to the wheel. And you keep constant pressure down to fold in the lip. Change the size accordingly. Different tire pressure help to, usually higher than usual to make it nice and stiff. Or you can go out and buy the wheel lip tool by Eastwood. Looks nice but to use it only once it's not worth it to me. Unless you rent it out to friends.

-
Back