1.6 and adjustable rockers

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Would somebody explain to me the purpose of adjustable rockers and 1.6 rockers? What does it do? Why is this a big deal?

Adjustable rockers allow for much better valve lash and more accurate opening and closing of the valves. The 1.6 (standard is 1.5 from the factory but are actually between 1.35 to 1.44) is the ratio of how much list is being done on the valve/cam. So if you have a .500" lift cam with1.5 rocker youll get that .500" but if you have 1.6 rocker arms you'll end up with and even higher number ~.515". Basically it's a great way to get a lot more out of a given cam (works great with a retro fit roller cam).

Didn't a member here make his own 1.6 rockers for the /6 (they looked like the 273 adjustable rockers)?

There are a couple of people working on making their own,but nothing finished and tested yet that I know of !! I tried going through a company,that some have warned against,but I have yet to hear from them,or gotten back in touch with them !:banghead:

Adjustable rockers allow for much better valve lash and more accurate opening and closing of the valves. The 1.6 (standard is 1.5 from the factory but are actually between 1.35 to 1.44) is the ratio of how much list is being done on the valve/cam. So if you have a .500" lift cam with1.5 rocker youll get that .500" but if you have 1.6 rocker arms you'll end up with and even higher number ~.515". Basically it's a great way to get a lot more out of a given cam (works great with a retro fit roller cam).

Actually if you have .500 with 1.5s you will get .533 with 1.6s

Actually if you have .500 with 1.5s you will get .533 with 1.6s

Yeah I hit the wrong button, was trying to hit 535. But the idea was made. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, don't want people to be thinking "that's all I get for going to 1.6".

Most slant six rockers are a true 1.5 or very close to it. I have never seen a set anywhere near 1.35.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Thanks alot for helping clear that up.

Didn't a member here make his own 1.6 rockers for the /6 (they looked like the 273 adjustable rockers)?
Right here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=171241

There are a couple of people working on making their own,but nothing finished and tested yet that I know of !! I tried going through a company,that some have warned against,but I have yet to hear from them,or gotten back in touch with them !:banghead:
Let me guess, you talked to Clifford Performance?

What were they; 1.4?.

Every one I have checked have been between 1.45 to 1.5,which really is not that bad compared to how small block guys(like stated above in 1970Duster's post)are all over the place. I have rarely ever seen a set even close to 1.5.

I would like to add I have only ever checked 5 or 6 sets of slant rockers,and I don't mean my opinion to be taken as complete fact,its just what I have experienced.

Two well known /6 racers told me not to waste the money on the roller rockers. One even said "on my car, they were worth nothing". YMMV,,

IMO...spend $$ on the cylinder head.

Two well known /6 racers told me not to waste the money on the roller rockers. One even said "on my car, they were worth nothing". YMMV,,

IMO...spend $$ on the cylinder head.

Yep,exactly. Also,be more diligent with your cam choice.

Although there may be some advantage for anyone running forced induction because of certain cam restrictions that come with getting an optimal set up out of your FI in relation to cam choice... But that is a another can of worms altogether.

What were they; 1.4?.

Every one I have checked have been between 1.45 to 1.5,which really is not that bad compared to how small block guys(like stated above in 1970Duster's post)are all over the place. I have rarely ever seen a set even close to 1.5.

I would like to add I have only ever checked 5 or 6 sets of slant rockers,and I don't mean my opinion to be taken as complete fact,its just what I have experienced.

They measured 1.39 if you want to be more exact.

If my old butt remembers correctly, there is a trick to get the stamped rockers up to spec. Old timers disease, maybe diff lash caps? No , think it is a shim,

If my old butt remembers correctly, there is a trick to get the stamped rockers up to spec. Old timers disease, maybe diff lash caps? No , think it is a shim,

Wouldn't using a press on the rocker be able to adjust that stamped rocker to where you want it.

Lash caps and shims won't do it. You have to actually move the pushrod cup closer to the rocker shaft to make the ratio higher.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I pretty much figured it was a waster of time and money cause it sounds like a crutch to get more out of a cam that substituted for something that gives more in the first place. From what I hear it's only really good to shoot for consistent rocker ratios rather than adjustables or 1.6.

Once you have the adjustable rockers adjusted, that's about as consistent as its gonna get.

Nope,not Clifford.

http://rockerarms.com/chrysler.htm

Talked to Gary Thurs,and all he's waiting on is for one of the other guys who's been out sick to get the RA's bushed !! So I'll sit back and be patient again !!

So what's the cost on these rockers? I find it hard to believe they will ever be made. I have called so many times and left so many messeges with them and not heard one word back. Called ALL times of the day.

So what's the cost on these rockers? I find it hard to believe they will ever be made. I have called so many times and left so many messeges with them and not heard one word back. Called ALL times of the day.

About $650 !! Of all the times I've called,I've never not gotten thru !! "HOPEFULLY" within the next couple of weeks they'll be done ! Not that I'm ready for them yet,but I'm not in a hurry for them !!

-
Back