1.6 Rocker Arm Install , Lube questions

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a running 512 RB with 1.5 rocker arms. I will be exchanging the Arms for 1.6 ratio arms of the same manufacturer. I will check the geometry and clearances as well as pushrod lengths to be sure all is good.

I have assembly lube for the pushrod cups but some say to use high pressure grease. What is best? (no manufacturer instructions from 440 Source).

The rockers have needle bearings. Most install instructions say to soak rockers for 30 minutes in motor oil before install. Is that instead of assembly grease or would your soak and also use assembly grease after all the spacing is verified and appropriate shims selected?

Finally, since I have oil up to the shafts already, do I need to manually prime the shafts by removing the distributor and using a hex rod in a drill CCW? I also have comp cams valvetrain spray lube that is for installs. (Need to read instructions again for it)

These are roller rockers and I have Flat tappets.

Any advice appreciated and welcomed.

Kent,

There's many different methods that will all work if done correctly.
I always put assembly lube on metal to metal contact points and spin the engine until there's oil pressure right before starting. If you've taken your time and set everything properly there will be no problems this way.

Kent,

There's many different methods that will all work if done correctly.
I always put assembly lube on metal to metal contact points and spin the engine until there's oil pressure right before starting. If you've taken your time and set everything properly there will be no problems this way.

I forgot about just disconnecting the ignition and cranking a bit to get pressure before starting. Duh.

What about valve to piston clearance and retainer to guide clearance; you got that covered?
I have light weight check springs and will test that on cylinder #1 . The heads are rated for .680 lift. I am only going to .550 or so. I will check the retainer to guide.

#7 needle bearings were starting to dig into the hardened shaft. New shaft being installed. I will probably run these for a year or so and then convert to bushed rockers. The 1.6 ratio is a test.
4BF9DCDC-ACF9-42DA-B587-B49EF6BF7D2C.jpeg

#7 needle bearings were starting to dig into the hardened shaft. New shaft being installed. I will probably run these for a year or so and then convert to bushed rockers. The 1.6 ratio is a test.View attachment 1715822742

That’s one problem with needle bearings on a shaft. The shaft has to be harder than the hubs of hell or that’s what you get.

Are those the 440 Source rockers and shafts? If so they tout them as being the cats *** and compatible together. That shaft looks like crap and I would not reuse it. I have their rockers and shafts in my 470 and so far so good after 3 yrs. I am running a SFT Comp XE282s-10 fairly mild but runs hard. Lube every contact point with extreme pressure lube, Everything.

Yes they are 440 source rockers. I will be installing all new parts except hold downs. Trial fit of driver side shows .200 inch clearance, good position on the valves. Until I set lash, I am not sure about the thread of the adjuster. It looks like it will be flush with the bottom of the rocker or maybe, 1 thread showing. Tomorrow I will install passenger side and set the lash. As to the shaft, they are supposed to be hardened, evidently not. Depending on if the track opens next year and how many runs I can get in will determine how urgent I will be to upgrade..

If your shafts wore with 1.5 rockers, then there will likely be worse wear with 1.6s because it increases the loading on the shaft.

That’s one problem with needle bearings on a shaft. The shaft has to be harder than the hubs of hell or that’s what you get.
Hubs of hell. Reminds me of a someone I know on the left side of the country.

I've become a big fan of this.
udfudfuf.jpg

And yeah for the rockers soak them in some good oil, I prefer an overnight bath for those and timing chains and stuff like that. Can't hurt...

I've become a big fan of this.
View attachment 1715824400
And yeah for the rockers soak them in some good oil, I prefer an overnight bath for those and timing chains and stuff like that. Can't hurt...
I did use that on the rods and arms. Then I got the pressure up before plugging in the ignition. I got immediate pressure and all sounds great so far.

-
Back