1 of 4 original Plymouth Rapid Transit System Caravan cars, Unrestored with 967 miles, and SOLD for $2.2 Million!

-
IMG_4607.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg

Not very many times will a 440 powered car sell for more than a Hemi car.

My opinion: it is cool looking. Captures that late 60’s hippy vibe. But the wheelie bars being off set to the left is odd. Too bad the interior is stock. A bit more color in there would be cool. Maybe time did not allow for that. The fact it sold for 2.2mil and will be locked up again in private collection sucks.

I would have bought the "Black Ghost" long before I would ever even look twice at that other abortion.
At least the ghost has a real pedigree.

The black ghost is just a barn find with a story that they hyped up. The rapid transit car has more pedigree or hystory, yah it’s a custom and not to everyone es taste, but I think it’s cool. No I wouldn’t pay 2 million for it. But it’s cool. wouldn’t pay a 1 million for the challenger Either.

That's about $2,190,000 more than I'd pay for it. Damn that thing is UGLY!!!
I posted that and got trashed. The worst of it's times. Stupid ultra wide, low profile tires sticking out way past the fenders. Stupid paint and stripe. "I suppose" some like the "side pipes," I don't. Side pipes belong on Vettes, Jags, and AC's

The black ghost is just a barn find with a story that they hyped up. The rapid transit car has more pedigree or hystory, yah it’s a custom and not to everyone es taste, but I think it’s cool. No I wouldn’t pay 2 million for it. But it’s cool. wouldn’t pay a 1 million for the challenger Either.
The Black Ghost has a real street racing history, that's it's pedigree, plus it's a hemi. The RTS 'Cuda is nothing more than an exercise in custom bodywork, it travelled a show circuit, then was forgotten about for 50 years, until it became a "barn find" and has been hyped up. It was ugly in 1970, and it's still ugly today, the only real attraction to it is as a 440+6 car with under 1000 miles, mostly because nobody would want to be seen driving that heap in it's present state.
Your opinion may vary.

Well from what I've read that hemi Challenger "ghost" has very limited if any real street racing time and was hyped because of the potential Mecum or BJ selling it. Hence the "ghost" moniker because very few ever saw it raced. As for the cuda, if you were still a gleam in your daddy's eye in 1970 that explains the distaste. If you were of age to actually see the cuda after it was commissioned to be built and followed the Rapid Transisit cars it was something to see back then regardless of the side pipes and "wheelie bars". None of those cars were ever built so you could buy one. They followed the George Barris themes of custom paint and body mods. The look of that cuda represents a time when real cars could be purchased right off the showroom floor and raced and most everyone could afford one.

Well from what I've read that hemi Challenger "ghost" has very limited if any real street racing time and was hyped because of the potential Mecum or BJ selling it. Hence the "ghost" moniker because very few ever saw it raced. As for the cuda, if you were still a gleam in your daddy's eye in 1970 that explains the distaste. If you were of age to actually see the cuda after it was commissioned to be built and followed the Rapid Transisit cars it was something to see back then regardless of the side pipes and "wheelie bars". None of those cars were ever built so you could buy one. They followed the George Barris themes of custom paint and body mods. The look of that cuda represents a time when real cars could be purchased right off the showroom floor and raced and most everyone could afford one.
I was around in 1970, and very interested in cars at that time, but I stand by my opinion of it as UGLY. Granted that it was perhaps the "trend" of the day.
As for the ghost, if it is merely hype, then I guess it worked, but I would still much prefer to own it over the 'Cuda. Not that I could afford it anyway.

I was around in 1970, and very interested in cars at that time, but I stand by my opinion of it as UGLY. Granted that it was perhaps the "trend" of the day.
As for the ghost, if it is merely hype, then I guess it worked, but I would still much prefer to own it over the 'Cuda. Not that I could afford it anyway.
-some-of-the-time-all-of-th-author-abraham-lincoln.jpg

-
Back