1 quick (dumb) gauge question

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
all right i have had the dash apart on my wifes 71 dart for about 7 months now. i started putting it all back together last night. my question is were there any wires connected to the backs of the gas gauge and the temp. gauge? i really can't remember, nor do i see the wires. not easy seeing anything upside down for that matter!

There should be a large round plug that plugs into the back of the cluster. This holds all the wires for all the gauges, then get sent out to each gauge via copper strip.

Their are 2 large wires at the amp gauge. Red and black. Proper location is marked on the printed circuit board although it isn't easily seen without a mirror.

If your '71 is like mine you will not have the round connector, but rather two flat connectors that push onto the pins at the back of the dash one on each side. The fuel and temp get their power/signal from being connected to the dash using nuts on the studs. The signal/power/ground is all provided by the printed circuit board. The signal in to them is carried to the dash by the flat connector of wires on that side. Hope that helps.
Cheers

If your '71 is like mine you will not have the round connector, but rather two flat connectors that push onto the pins at the back of the dash one on each side. The fuel and temp get their power/signal from being connected to the dash using nuts on the studs. The signal/power/ground is all provided by the printed circuit board. The signal in to them is carried to the dash by the flat connector of wires on that side. Hope that helps.
Cheers

You're right. I was thinking about the 73 style.

-
Back