10" brake hub, replace or?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
I got a scarebird front brake kit and have all the parts I need coming. My question is at least one hub has a couple of the lug studs welded in. Should I just replace both hubs or have the studs and weld machined off and pressed out and replaced. To me since they were welded in indicates that they was not enough material left in the hub to hold the studs tightly so I would need to weld the new studs in.

Thanks
Aaron

Using the OEM lug wrench/tire tool would have never ripped a stud away from the hub. The use of air tools, Aftermarket lug nuts that are closed and capture heat causing seizing, along with going right hand direction on left hand threads is what created all the welded studs we find today.
Dorman did offer replacement studs with oversized knurl for proper repair but very few shops would seek those. Welding was and still is the fastest way to geter done and out of the work bay.
Those repair studs probably are still available today and much easier to get with internet sourcing. Leave as is, weld them all, change them all to right hand threads,
whatever works best for you.

-
Back