10" brakes small bolt pattern fronts

-

VDART

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 10" brakes with the small bolt pattern are all the same? I have a set of' finned style -- that are small bolt -- will these fit on earlier cars 10"spindles-- I don't have bearings for the hubs-- thanks Lawrence

the spindles changed in 73 and from my recollection thats when the finned 10" x 2-1/2" showed up. I believe the drums with hubs will not fit the earlier (72 back) spindles since you cant use the corresponding backing plates. Not sure of using the drums alone but I would doubt it since the design/shape of them is very different.

thanks--- I remember the backing plates having a square w/cylinder shape vs the oval shape of the earlier style-- I'll do some digging & see if I still have the other parts, Lawrence

the drums seem to measure the same -- inner surface-- I'm using a stanley tape-- both are 2.75" on the brake surface area-- I do not have bearings in finned drum to mount it on a spindle----- but both styles slide on the backing plates the same-- fit into the lip of the backing plate.

try the bearings that were on the older drums and see if they fit. Or you could look up the part number for the 2 different model years and see if they are the same.

Does anyone know if the 10" brakes with the small bolt pattern are all the same? I have a set of' finned style -- that are small bolt -- will these fit on earlier cars 10"spindles-- I don't have bearings for the hubs-- thanks Lawrence

Based on what I'm reading here, they are not the same. The 1966 Dart V-8 had 10" drums. Can't remember width. The drums did not have radial fins. They had a couple of ridges that ran around the circumference of the drums. Very lightweight.

alright-- thanks for the input-- i looked up rock auto for the bearings & they are different-- the 73 & newer takes a17-- the 72 & older takes a6. Anyone need a set of 73- up brake drums? Lawreence

If the drums are the same but the hubs are different then knock the studs out and reuse your hub with the replacement drum.

-
Back