10" Drum Brake Hard Line Challenge

-

maldridgeks

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello. Am trying desperately to get my duster back on the road. After waiting weeks on new parts, they don't fit so I'm interested in opinions about how to solve with what I have. Am working on a 1970 Duster 318. Car has 10" drums although if you look at the picture, the hard line coming off the wheel cylinder appears to be for a 9" drum (which is what I ordered and won't work as the twists don't align with the bracket where it connect to the soft line. You can see in the second picture we created a small copper line coming off the wheel cylinder. I'm wondering how risky everyone thinks it would be to forego the bracket and run a longer copper line to the soft line? Or a soft/flex line straight to wheel cylinder? Or if you have other suggestions for us? Thank you very much!

bracket.jpg

backing plate.jpg

Last edited:
Is this bracket correct for 10" brakes?
Screenshot_20240414-153347.png

Out of curiosity, why buy 9" brake parts if you have 10 " brakes?

Are the 10" brakes what came in the car originally or were they swapped in at some point?

Call me paranoid, but there is NO WAY I would run a brake line in soft copper. NiCop, sure- but not soft copper.
A quick peek at The Right Stuff and Fine Lines' websites didn't show those lines, but I'd still give each of them a CALL. These places generally have a lot more than they put on their websites, or can make the parts special.
Failing that, get some steel or NiCop line and bend your own, copying the originals. Cut the brackets off the old ones and solder/braze them onto the new ones.
Edit: I misunderstood the pictures- the brackets don't need to be soldered on to the new lines- looks like they mount to the hose fittings. I need to stop looking at things on my phone and stick with the laptop.

Last edited:
Is this bracket correct for 10" brakes?View attachment 1716236663

Out of curiosity, why buy 9" brake parts if you have 10 " brakes?

Are the 10" brakes what came in the car originally or were they swapped in at some point?
Great question about the bracket. I don’t know and can’t find a clear answer online.

I am told the car came with 10” drums but I don’t know the history of what may have been changed. Had brake problems when I purchased a and wound up having to cut one of the hard lines to get the cylinder off that had gone bad.

Back story......

-
Back