10 Years ago Katrina

-

73hcode

Reaction score
It might not be a big deal to some of you but for everyone who was affected it is a big deal. We are still rebuilding here in Mississippi but we never give up.

It might not be a big deal to some of you but for everyone who was affected it is a big deal. We are still rebuilding here in Mississippi but we never give up.

I remember that like it was yesterday. My guard unit was sent down there to help, all the way from Indiana. Our medics the first day we got there managed to somehow save a 8 week old infant boy who had gotten into the water somehow( i don't recall the exact cirumstances) but they managed to revive him and last I heard, he was doing great. We were sent down about 30 miles northeast of New Orleans. I cannot remember the name of the town.

It was a nightmarish scene, even for the responders and guard. We have one female in our platoon, heck, she was the only female who went down there on that mission with the unit. The first night, we slept in an evacuated school gym, a group of men, tried to get into the area where she was sleeping, well long story short, she ended up sleeping in the male area, right next to our LT and our SFC, posted armed guards around our trucks and our sleeping area because of the looters. It was not a fun time.

I was on the ground doing telephone restoration 3 day after Katrina hit. I was there a year to the day & saw more stuff torn up & torn down than I ever want to see again. I never worked in New Orleans proper, only the outlying areas including some of the poorer areas & the bayou areas. I wouldn't wish that stuff on my worst enemy. I'm glad that the areas are being rebuilt back to better standards & hope that all of the people will get back to a normal state of living.

I never will understand why people did not leave when they were warned early!

There were lots of people who were simply not able. I guess you missed the submerged busses

KatrinaBuses2.jpg

I

Yes it was a tragedy. Why didn't people leave? There are many reasons from financial, health, fear of leaving there home, etc. I have lived on the Gulf Coast my entire life and its never easy whether you evacuate or not. I live in Alabama and work in Mississippi and some of my coworkers in Mississippi came home to a slab and nothing more. Some homes were flooded that didn't flood in years past.Its an event that none of us that live on the Gulf Coast will forget nor will the lives that were touched.

My now-late Grandmother lived in the St. Andrews on the Gulf subdivision in Ocean Springs, MS. She (being 84 years old at the time) decided that she did not have the energy to get out of there for the storm (at the time all the family lived in PA). Amazingly, despite so many homes in her area that was within a mile of the gulf coast, she stayed in the bathtub while the house got about 5" of water in it. The trees were laying all over the place once the storm was over, trash everywhere, but her house survived fine even without boarded windows with the exception of the water damage and some relatively minor roofing damage. Apparently a neighbor had returned and she called us from a cell phone about a day after the storm left. My mother and father loaded up their Blazer and went on the unbelievable non-stop drive of their life to get down there and rescue her. They made it in with some gas cans, a U-haul, removed all the carpet and dried the house out and patched up the roof temporarily and brought her back to PA. The house is still there to this day, but the golf club that was there never re-opened.

-
Back