10 years and $25k to go!

-

Mopar118

Reaction score
So here is my 1973 Dodge Dart Sport. Being that im 18 and this is my first "on my own" build should propose a few challanges.

A little background on the car. It was raced and ran 10.20's at 131ish with 1.41 to 1.43 60'. It had a 440 with iron heads, roller cam, 1050, 727 trans, 4.30 gear with a 8.75 rear end. Sense then the previous owner was planning to put a roll cage in it, but plans changed and the car just sat. Sense then I had bought the car (which comes with hood, doors, trunk lid, fenders, and some other odds and ends) and I have been building caster for it. My plans for it is to stay with a 440 all motor powerplant. I'm hoping to get into the mid 9's with it, but I'll worry about that road when I get there.

First and most important I will put a 10 point roll cage for obvious reasons. Then from there hopefully a 440 will be easy to find from a old motor home. I have done a lot of research and I've found that 1978 440 blocks seem to be the strongest block of its production. There's always the chance of getting a bad block but that can happen with anything. As far as internals are concerned, still unsure about what will go in it. I will support the massive 440 with front and rear motor plates instead of motor mounts.

A front tubular k-frame will support the front end with a rack and pinion steering set up. I am still unsure if I want to use a 8.75 or a Dana 60. I've read that the power I want to make will destory a 8.75 but some guys have said its worked perfect for their set up.

Now for a body discussion. The body does have rust, although none is rusted through the metal. So either I can take a chance to sandblast it and possibly blow through the metal but that would be the quickest way to strip it of all rust. My second choice is to spends 10's of hours sanding it all by hand but satisfaction of knowing I dont have to spend $700. This car does have a sun roof that I plan on covering up. I will use black matt chassis saver for the underside to give it some protection from rust and exhaust sut. The color of the car itself will be either a PPG Willow Green or Pearl Lightning Blue.

Overall, this is definatly a project car hence the thread title. As a 18 year old, this car will serve as the car my father and I were suppose to build together, but as life goes on things change and prorities make diapers first and racecars second. I will be post pictures throughout my progress and I hope everyone who reads this can chip in some well needed advice! Thank you to everyone!
20170508_144105.jpg
20170227_134153.jpg
20170227_134130.jpg
20170227_134316.jpg
20170227_134420.jpg
20170227_134435.jpg
20170508_144111.jpg

Awesome build! You have your work cut out for you but sounds like you have a solid plan.

As for the rear, unless you already had a built up 8 3/4 I would just go Dana and save yourself potential trouble. If the car is still going to be a race only car, stripped down and light weight you may be fine with the 8 3/4 running mid 9's, but if you don't already have a good 8 3/4 and you're starting from scratch you might as well just go with a Dana. Breaking the rear can cost you a lot more than just the rear.

Awesome build! You have your work cut out for you but sounds like you have a solid plan.

As for the rear, unless you already had a built up 8 3/4 I would just go Dana and save yourself potential trouble. If the car is still going to be a race only car, stripped down and light weight you may be fine with the 8 3/4 running mid 9's, but if you don't already have a good 8 3/4 and you're starting from scratch you might as well just go with a Dana. Breaking the rear can cost you a lot more than just the rear.

Yep, if you don't already have an axle go with a Dana and be done.

looks like a good start...and you seem to realize what will be involved

Night after night I build this car over in my head with endless possibilities. Parts searching and fourms are all I ever look at. I would say I have some pretty big plans.

Sand with flapper disks, then mate Finnish with rattle cans.
Spend your cash on the motor, trans, shocks and rear end.

Cut templates for your race team and mate black rattle can the rear quarters, then go racing!

Don't forget your building a RACE CAR, not entering a beauty pageant...

Also look at the 10 point moroso cage from summit. 600.00 bucks and just weld it in.

They make one for that car.

Also look at the 10 point moroso cage from summit. 600.00 bucks and just weld it in.

They make one for that car.
I've looked up some, summit also has a 10 point cage for $350ish. I'm sure cheaper is not the way to go with safety equipment.

Save money in the long run...Buy the Dana... a 8 3/4 sooner or later will eat the teeth off the ring gear....just swapped out a 8 3/4 for a Dana in my 360 powered Demon....it ate the teeth off the ring gear...

Save money in the long run...Buy the Dana... a 8 3/4 sooner or later will eat the teeth off the ring gear....just swapped out a 8 3/4 for a Dana in my 360 powered Demon....it ate the teeth off the ring gear...
Smart idea, how much do you think it will be to build my own 60 rather than buying a crate rear axle like moser? Oh and I read some of your threads, nice car man! Our high school car is a 71 Demon, fastest pass I went was 11.58 at 118 starting out in second gear.

From one young guy to another build what YOU want. And make sure you really know what you want.

I bought my car when I was 16 with my dad. All he wanted me to do was get it driveable (at the time I did too) so I ended up with a decent 318 running mid 13s. All of his racing buddies wanted me to build a 360, they even had the parts for me. But now at the age of 25 I want more. Looking back I wish I would have really built what I wanted. But since we are young we have the time to change directions, just have to pay for it $$$.

Also, dont be cheap. Spend the money where it counts. I know its hard when you're young but build it right so you only have to build it once.

I agree. All the money i get right now is going to my car. It's going to be hard being 18 and college being 3 months away. But as usual, if there's a will theres a way.

I am all for a Dana but a Ford 9" would be cheaper, lighter and plenty strong enough

OK bud....you are correct, what was I thinking..............

If I'm wrong, post up the data. A 9 inch is more money, just as heavy and takes more power to drive with a 3.91 gear or lower. All facts. Actually, I should say a 3.91 is about a push. Once you go past 4.30 gears the 9 inch eats power like crazy.

Not going to waste my time, this is like politics, you aren't going to change your mind no matter how many links I post that it is lighter and cheaper.........I will give you the point that it eats a little more power than a Dana..........have a nice day

-
Back