10 years old Die hard Gold

-
I had an interstate in a truck that got completely flooded up past the carb on two occasions. As RRR stated, a flush, fill, and charge and I still use it as a runner. The 440 on the other hand, was too full of silt to not rebuild

I had an interstate in a truck that got completely flooded up past the carb on two occasions. As RRR stated, a flush, fill, and charge and I still use it as a runner. The 440 on the other hand, was too full of silt to not rebuild

I DID not WORK in the battery shop , but picked up lead acid batteries to haul out to the aircraft , (b 52`s ) , the battery shop did exactly what RRR said. What they did w/ the old acid is not known to me , but there was a hell of a bunch of it . They changed the acid out regularly, every 2/3 flights I think-------or when one tested funny. They were big 24 volt batteries too !!

Reread your 1st post Rob. Did I mention I love my "greenie" my job security?
But pouring in container and adding soda MAY neutralize it. Depending on how accurate your pH meter is.

Want to save the Die Hard? Here's how. If you want to be all greenie about it, dump the electrolyte in something and dispose of it properly......however that is. Or you can just dump it out in the dirt.

Then, rinse it out with a garden hose and a strong nozzle. Wear eye protection. Rinse it until it stops puking out crap and the water is CLEAN. Then drain it of all the water. Now, go to your local O'Reilly (see how I worked that plug in?) and buy some fresh battery acid. It comes in a six quart container and it's CHEAP. Refill the battery and slow charge it overnight. It will likely last another ten years. My best friend has one Daddy bought new in about 1974 "or so". I did the above procedure to it when I got it from Daddy in 1982 "or so". Then I emptied it out and gave it to my best friend about 1995 "or so". It was still good. .

Exactly. No way would I just dump it out on the ground and dump soda on top of it.

Last edited:
-
Back