$100 a good deal for 8 Donovan forged aluminum connecting rods?

-
They have a finite duty cycle. Don't ask me what it is but even if you knew, how
would you know exactly how much has been used up?

You will essentially be payin somebody 100 bucks to blow your motor up.

If they are used , they are worth about .68 a pound.
I think..........I haven't scrapped anything in a good while.
Unless it is for a show and tell motor , I'd pass.

If they are used , they are worth about .68 a pound.
I think..........I haven't scrapped anything in a good while.
Unless it is for a show and tell motor , I'd pass.

.40 cent right now, lol.

Are yall serious? It's like .93 a pound down here. Dang.

Only way to tell.

Measure the length from 'Center-to-Center' between the Rod Journal and
Piston-Pin Bore.

The 'stretch' is what we're looking for here.

Back-in-the-Day, as a general 'Racers-Rule'

You usually got '1-Year' out of a set of Aluminum-Rods in a Modified Production
Engine that was run hard.

What is the application?

Small block, big block/hemi? Sure they are even Mopar?

They are for a small block. Center to center length is 6.125. They're all stamped "Mickey Thompson".

Considering what an important part they are and the damage they would cause if they broke, are you willing to take the chance? It's apart now, spend the money and do it new. Otherwise you may be buying a new block and then buying new forged rods.

Is this a good deal? They're in good condition

Racer-Dude-5

Do not despair. First off, you need to get some information from the previous
application.

Was the previous 340 run a few times, many times, etc.

As a 'general rule', if the 340 Engine was hitting 8000 RPM's {Tops}, the
Mickey Thompson '4B' Aluminum Rods can handle '200' runs without a problem.

These 'Aluminum-Rods' may be worth something, so dig a little on the
previous application.

Paul

They are for a small block. Center to center length is 6.125. They're all stamped "Mickey Thompson".

No, you need to have them measured for stretch to make sure that they are still 6.125" centerlines...

It's a given that they were originally made for the 6.125", but after they have been run, do they still meet that spec, or have they stretched. That is the point... #-o

Sometimes being cheap can cost more in the long run...

You get what you pay for...

Only way to tell.

Measure the length from 'Center-to-Center' between the Rod Journal and
Piston-Pin Bore.

The 'stretch' is what we're looking for here.

Back-in-the-Day, as a general 'Racers-Rule'

You usually got '1-Year' out of a set of Aluminum-Rods in a Modified Production
Engine that was run hard.

I ran a front engine dragster with SBC with alum rods... ran 8.90 @150 for 4 seasons...@30 runs a year.... no issues... street motor totally diff story...:sign12:

I ran a front engine dragster with SBC with alum rods... ran 8.90 @150 for 4 seasons...@30 runs a year.... no issues... street motor totally diff story...:sign12:

Tarvin,

'30' Runs a year. That's '3-Runs' per Sunday, on '10' Track visits.

And in a 'light' Junior Dragster.

That is not a true test.

I bought a set of aluminum BME 426 rods on a whim for $100. The guy told me they were good because he had them magnafluxed. I stared at him a while and said, "You magnafluxed some aluminum rods?" He was either stupid or really commited to his lie, because he went on to tell me that they passed the test with flying colors.

Anyway, I was disappointed to get the same advice you are getting. Dont use them. They may be good, they may be bad. But with such a short life cycle, it is not a place to cut corners.

Don't know what your build is, but these rods are not street friendly. And really- only being able to be used in high dollar, balls to the wall motors that get broken down and rebuilt in a matter of runs, those rods are quite literally coffee table jewelry.

I plan on using mine for gifts, awards, or some such thing... They sure are pretty though.

Used aluminum rods? Shove em up your bum cuz if you decide to run them in your engine that's where you'll get it anyway.

Alloy rods eh? Just don't go telling me you have ported J heads as well :)

Tarvin,

'30' Runs a year. That's '3-Runs' per Sunday, on '10' Track visits.

And in a 'light' Junior Dragster.

That is not a true test.

nostalgia front engine dragster 5-6 races a year....like i said good for drag not for street engine cycles.... big difference... racing world ok, street not reliable.... junior dragster?
there are some great article on the net about the street stress effects on street use aluminum rods... will def. change someones mind about street daily or weekend driver.

Attachments

• 2003.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 181
  • rail rialto.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 191
-
Back