$1000 budget, which mig welder???

-
I use a Hobart 140 for most of my welding up to 1/4 inch. Its a really nice welder for 110V. For the heavier metal I drag out the 180 220V to use. We use Miller at work. For the price difference between Miller and Hobart, I would go with Hobart for the home. Haven't used Lincoln in a long time so can't say.
No matter which one you get use good heavy power cord. :cheers:

Yepp He's got it right, no extension cord is the best,you will notice a power loss with an extension cord
I use a Hobart 140 for most of my welding up to 1/4 inch. Its a really nice welder for 110V. For the heavier metal I drag out the 180 220V to use. We use Miller at work. For the price difference between Miller and Hobart, I would go with Hobart for the home. Haven't used Lincoln in a long time so can't say.
No matter which one you get use good heavy power cord. :cheers:

Waggin brought up a good point, how much power do you have?
The best welder in the world is not worth a crap if you can't feed it.

About a year back I bought a Hobart 187 from Northern Tool. They had the best online price and were running free shipping. Between the welder and a trip to my local welding shop for a gas bottle, auto-darkening helmet, large spool of wire, and gloves I was pretty close to $1000. The steel for a welding cart probably put me over that figure, but it was less than a factory made cart, and a good first project. Had a few bucks into the wiring and such for a 220v outlet in my shop as well.

In all, I'm happy with the machine, and the deal I got. If I had to do it again, the only thing I would have done different would be buy the welder itself locally. Not bashing NT in any way, but the local welding shop would have made me a package deal, and the final cost would have been the same or a couple bucks less. They are also the regional Miller/Hobart service center so I'll be dealing with them if I ever need parts or service. Aside from supporting a local independent business, some consideration should be given to service after the sale when choosing brands. If you buy from Home Depot/Lowes/NT/tractor Supply etc... and have a problem, they'll just refer you to whichever welding supply house is the local service center. Why not just start at the welding shop? Besides, there is a pretty good chance the sales rep at the welding shop knows more about his products and which one would suit your needs and budget better than the tool corral attendant at the home center.

save hydro buy 220

Be careful with some of the Lincolns/millers/hobarts that are sold in the big chain stores. They are cheapened down models to sell to the mass population. When they screw up all the parts are Chinese and sometimes not worth fixing. Most welding shops cannot fix them because of the chinese parts problem.

The big chains tell Lincoln/miller/hobart that they want to sell a welder for *** amount of dollars. So they cheapen their product to sell in the big chains.

Contact Airgas in Knoxville or Chattanooga and see what they have in stock. Whatever you buy make sure you can get parts for it. Do not pass up looking a ESAB welder if you have the option.

I have a new Lincon 140c and I love it ! much better welder than the miller that I had. Its 110 volt, and I like it because i can use it everywhere. The Lincon 180c is virtually the same machine except its 220 volt but your stuck to being near a 220 outlet to use it.
I have a lincoln 125HD and I love it.I bought it used at a pawn shop and I paid $200 for it.I had to fabricate a clutch linkage and my Lincoln did the jod with no problem.I think that It all depends on the persons own desire.Good luck.

-
Back