$1000 Honda Mirror?

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with later model Honda's and how their stealerships work?

Without my knowledge, my 91 year old neighbor set up an appointment to have the pass side mirror repaired, at the stealer, on her 2017 Accord EX-L. It moves left-right, but not up and down. The glass shakes around.

I have her estimate that says they're going to replace it. How do they know it needs to be replaced?

The estimate shows:
  • 441.67 for the mirror
  • 375.00 for "calibrate lane watch camera"
  • 2 hrs labor @ $70 per hr.
  • Misc.
I have found the mirror at Hondapartsnow.com for $310.05. (They do show the full retail price as $441.67)

What do they do for $375 to calibrate the camera?

The $131 extra for the mirror is questionable, but mostly, my rip-off radar is screaming regarding the calibration charge.

What is the calibration thing about? I'm not much on newer cars. Should they negotiate?

The dealer price seems about right for the part. Add about 30% to whatever prices you find online for OEM parts and that's pretty close to the dealer price. The camera calibrate is for sure something questionable. Seems like it would be a fairly quick labor charge with a scan tool to get the camera to talk to the vehicle computer and align it as needed. $70 labor is unheard of in my area, dealers here are all between $150-175 an hour for labor. It sucks when they need to charge 0.5 hours to program a key fob, it really only takes about 10 m minutes but they charge $80 to do it.

The dealer price seems about right for the part. Add about 30% to whatever prices you find online for OEM parts and that's pretty close to the dealer price. The camera calibrate is for sure something questionable. Seems like it would be a fairly quick labor charge with a scan tool to get the camera to talk to the vehicle computer and align it as needed. $70 labor is unheard of in my area, dealers here are all between $150-175 an hour for labor. It sucks when they need to charge 0.5 hours to program a key fob, it really only takes about 10 m minutes but they charge $80 to do it.
I think the best I can hope for is that they reduce the calibration fee. Thanks
Part of that might be painting the mirror, if it needs to match the body.
It comes painted. Thanks

I don't remember offhand, but I priced a mirror for my 04 GMC. Power articulate, power extend, and LED turn. I don't think it is heated. It was over 400. All I really need is the housing. I ended up finding a pair of pull offs for something like 125.00 Those are parts no labor

I don't remember offhand, but I priced a mirror for my 04 GMC. Power articulate, power extend, and LED turn. I don't think it is heated. It was over 400. All I really need is the housing. I ended up finding a pair of pull offs for something like 125.00 Those are parts no labor
I wonder if she needs a new mirror, or if it can be repaired. If it were my car, that's what I'd be looking at.
The last place I'd go is the stealer, but bottom line is, it ain't my car.

I think the best I can hope for is that they reduce the calibration fee. Thanks

Hopefully they can help with that price a little. Is there an independant shop that can do the work instead? Those are generally better priced than the stealerships.

Hopefully they can help with that price a little. Is there an independant shop that can do the work instead? Those are generally better priced than the stealerships.
Independent shop probably doest have the equipment to calibrate ADAS.

Her local guy told her $6 hundred something. Now she tells me that she wants the stealer to do it!
Independent shop probably doest have the equipment to calibrate ADAS.
I've been searching. The info is in the car's diagnostic system. They put dots on the ground behind the car (template), align the mirror, and calibrate from the dash.

Bottom line: I'm going in and see if they'll negotiate the calibration fee.

Thanks all!

Every OEM has different procedures to calibrate collision warning systems. Lane departure has to be driven to be calibrated. The $70/hour is body shop rate (always driven by insurance companies). You can't change a BATTERY in a Honda without a radio code after the power is disconnected.

I remember years ago, VW selling Sideview mirrors for about 20 grand

Of course, that included a free, color matched golf

I'll see if I can find the add

I too own a 17 Accord.
Sure hope i don't have anything go wrong with mine, that i don't have to pay a visit to the dealership down the street from me.

Last $1000 mirror I saw had a $975 pile of cocaine on it... J/K :lol:
upload_2020-11-9_13-40-45.png

How much does the dealership or mechanic pay for a 2017 Honda left mirror calibration tool..?

Every car I've driven with lane watch type controls I found irritating as hell... Why would you turn that **** back on?

That's what we get get for buying vehicles with all of that "option" ****. Give me simple every time...........The worst part is, if it is there, it has to work in order to get a safety. I had to replace the P/S mirror on my mom's 2008 Ram because the blinky signal flasher mounted to it didn't work.......$300 bucks!

That's what we get get for buying vehicles with all of that "option" ****. Give me simple every time...........The worst part is, if it is there, it has to work in order to get a safety. I had to replace the P/S mirror on my mom's 2008 Ram because the blinky signal flasher mounted to it didn't work.......$300 bucks!
The problem is that they are shoving it down our throats. Cant buy a new car without it.

-
Back