1000 rpm loss after carb & ign. repair

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
273 Commando engine - Holley 600 double pumper - HiPo cam, Edelbrock RPM intake - dual exhaust - port n polished heads
Last year I rebuilt the front end of my carb in order to cure the engine stumbling/hesitation at WOT between 2000-3000 rpms. (relaced gaskets, pwoer valve, float & needle....Anyway I use to shift her @ 6500rpms with this issue an after I cured the hesitation I now can only shift @ 5500rpm but she pulls hard @ WOT all the way through the power band. I also went from a Mopar Hi-Po distributor to a stock distributor because of a misdiagnosis of a fuel delivery issue. Did I lose the 1000rpms from 6500rpms because I corrected the 1000rpm hesitation @ 2000rpm & 3000rpm? Or did the stock distributor cause the 1000rpm loss from 6500rpm to 5500rpm?

Thx

ZooKypr

I'd say yes. You can recurve the distributor ike the performance one or just swap back if possible.

Make one change at a time and find out. I'd say yeah, the ignition curve is the issue.

Well....over a phone call talking with my buddy I described the problem and he said it sounded like I was "starving for fuel" in my high rpm range". He told me to change the fuel filter. So I put a new one in and I regained my loss rpm & power. I revved her out to 6000rpms about 6-7 times, no issues. Prior to this my max rpms dipped to 5200rpms. Picked up 800 rpm from a clogged fuel filter! I made an error in my earlier post....my max. rpm was not 6500rpm, well it was when I had a "bad flat spot" between 2000 - 3000 rpm from a bad power valve.
All seems fine for now...keep ya posted if things revert back.

Zookypr

-
Back