$10K and decent 340S what would you do?

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
We are getting our first good soaking rain today now that the snow's gone meaning the salt is getting washed off the roads. Tomorrow's supposed to be nice so I am going up to pull the Barracuda out of storage tomorrow. Yippee!

I have it posted here for sale right now but I can tell that people may not like the fact that even though it has a shiny, straight Barracuda Orange California black plate car when I bought it, it is getting a bit old with a couple scratches and the under hood area and trunk floor is still original faded Turbine Bronze. I like it and am pretty sure I will miss it but I have had it 10 years and it is time again to decide to throw more $ at it or move on to something else. I have my normal 5 years of car allowance put away other than maintenance so time to decide what to do. (I put a few $ away for 5 years and then spend it all at once . I like doing it this way instead of borrowing money. 2009 was my 416 stroker motor.)

I like the color that is on it now but if it was the original Turbine Bronze that wouldn't bother me either. All door jams, under trunk lid, down to the pinch weld underhood are painted what appears to be 1969 Barracuda Orange. I am looking for opinons of whether I should have it painted original Turbine Bronze or repainted Barracuda Orange and have the rest of the underhood and trunk floors painted the same. I am very good mechanically but as nice as this car is I don't want to mess with body and paint. I work 50 to 60 hours a week and have an 8 year old so taking the time to do things right is easier to pay for than do myself. I know many of you don't want to hear that but that is my situation.

I bought the car 2004 for $11K with a tired 318 and some cosmetic/trim issues. 2009 was $10k for 416 stroker build/install with mechanical upgrades. 2014 is $10K for paint/brakes suspension or sell and do something else.....what would you do?

Attachments

• drivers resized.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 202
if you are getting bored... move on to something else, if you would be sad to see it gone and not sure then paint, suspension ect and drive the heck out of it ,haha

Personally I like your thinking of holding off and doing something MAJOR

now ask yourself these questions

Do I enjoy this car?

Would I rather have ***

Will the car I replace it with be as nice for what I can get out of this?

Will a paint job make it the car of my dreams?

Is there anything in the next 5 years it is going to need or will this be close to end of the major expenses?

And if you want to paint it do you like this color or do a complete color change?

If it is a color change does original really excite you or would something else do it?

I like the barracudas, think now that I prefer the coupes, but maybe because my 1st car was a 67 coupe, but the fastback is also nice as well as the convertible.

I really like my Dart and have spent a LOT on it and have been thinking it has been about 10 years and what do I do. Spend more money, keep it as is or?

Right now there isn't anything that I want bad enough to part with it.

So is there another car you just HAVE TO HAVE IT?

Many of my friends have sold their older cars and got new Challengers.

But really if you answer those questions should give you your answer as to what you need to do. It is your money, your car and only YOU can make the call, well maybe you wife will do it for you heaven forbid.

I already owned a 2011 Hemi RT Challenger 6spd Super track pack for a while and it bored me. I like the classic feel much more. I traded it for a low option Jeep with manual trans etc because I enjoy the older cars more than newer. (pic is my old Challenger and my new Jeep a few days later) I added the lift and wheels/tires before it left the local Chrysler lot.....

I like my Barracuda but for that and $10K more I honestly may like a Duster, Demon, 70-71 Challenger/Cuda or B or C body better.

That or take $10K and my Barracuda and take it to the next level????????

Attachments

• resized jeep and challenger.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 151
Seller's remorse is tough illness to cure. Been there many times. A hobby cost money to play, a bussiness does'nt fair well to losses.... Sounds to me you share a great hobby like the rest of us. I would have a "Hemi' car if I had every dollar I kissed good-bye in pursuit of change. BtW that is a pretty car.

I,d keep it and take it back to original color.Only you know what will make you happy.JMO:glasses7:

Thanks guys. Your comments helped me make a decision I think I already wanted to make. I will do paint, brakes and replace any worn suspension/steering this time around. Hopefully $10K will take care of it. Now I need to network a bit to find the right paint/body guys. Now I still have to decide if I want to go Turbine Bronze???

I hope it doesn't windup in the da--ed "paint jail" people here talk about!!???? me, everytime I've had a perfect paint car, I wouldn't drive it for fear of a chip or scratch. and talking it out, and then hiding in bushes with sniper rifle, well ya know, it gives me a bad rep!????
only you knows what makes you happy. depends on what ya want. I say its a great car, keep it and do what it takes to ring your bell.

I,m fan of the turbine bronze and think it would look awesome on your Barracuda.My 68 Barracuda is red,which I can,t stand red.:banghead:I will be stripping mine down to go with the original color of burgundy(maroon)??I,m kinda limited on colors with the maroon interior.I,m glad you decided to keep the car,they,re getting harder to find in good shape.Most around here have been modified for racing.

Thanks guys. Your comments helped me make a decision I think I already wanted to make. I will do paint, brakes and replace any worn suspension/steering this time around. Hopefully $10K will take care of it. Now I need to network a bit to find the right paint/body guys. Now I still have to decide if I want to go Turbine Bronze???

A real paint job here in Ontario is 5k-8k that's not including all the extras...
I am I the same situation. 340 4-speed 1 owner car72 Demon. Do dish out 10k and restore, or do I sell and move on. lol I feel your tug-of war too :)

-
Back