10x1.75 to 10x2.5 brake swap

-

killnine

Reaction score
I currently have a rear drum setup with the 10x1.75" brakes. I'm swapping in the b-body 10x2.5" drum and accompanying parts. Will anything carry over? Just wondering because all of the brake hardware is fairly new. I'm especially wondering about the adjuster cross bar. I'm not asking about differences between the backing plate, axles, etc. I understand all of that. Just wondering about the internal brake hardware.

Last edited:
Sure seems like it would, unless they made a major change between the years.

I would expect the pins holding the shoes on would be longer.

Check rock auto for parts kit from B E Body car with 2.5 rear brakes and your car and see if the kit or if the individual parts are the same part number.

All of the 10x1.75" brake hardware can be used on the the 10x2.5" brakes. Some of the brake spreader bars from the 10x2.5" brakes can't be used on 10x1.75" brakes, but all the stuff used on the 10x1.75" brakes can be used on the 10x2.5" brakes.

img_3417-jpg.jpg

img_3418-jpg.jpg

I did some mixing and matching to confirm all of this, there's more pictures and info posted here
E-Brake help please

Hmm. Technically the part number for the pin shoe retainer kit is different. 9x2" and 10x2.5" is the same, 10x1.75" has a different number for just the pins. But, if you look at an entire hardware kit (which also includes the pins) they list the same part numbers for both.

So the pins from the 10x1.75's may be too short to use on the 10x2.5" shoes. Or maybe the springs just get compressed more. I was more concerned about the non-disposable hardware- brake bars, e-brake levers, adjusters and cables

I thought I remembered that the Axle Back spacing was DIFFERENT
between the A and B Body Axles.

Please correct me if I am wrong?

I thought I remembered that the Axle Back spacing was DIFFERENT
between the A and B Body Axles.

Please correct me if I am wrong?

It is different, the axle flange stand off is different and therefore the backing plate offsets are also different between the SBP and BBP drums.

b87e8cda-4826-4290-8e9e-7915b82ff6b5-jpeg.jpg

The OP said in his first post that he understood the differences between the "backing plates, axles and all that" and just wanted to know about the brake hardware.

-
Back