11" or 10" rear drums for a 10 second street car?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Are 11 x 2.5" drums overkills on a high 10 second street/strip 66 Dart? I picked some complete assemblies up recently for cheap and noticed they weigh a freakin ton. I've also got a set of 10 x 2.5's. I'm wondering if I should just stick with the 10" brakes for weight savings. All I really care about is being able to stop from 125mph. What are your thoughts?

I don't know that you would be able to tell the difference. Both of my sons' cars have 11" rear drums (one 3", the other 2.5") and weight doesn't seem to be an issue.

Hey thanks for the reply Jim. Sounds like I'll give the 11"ers a try. Hey, I just noticed you're from fresno. My uncle has a front engine dragster down there. It's a got chevy engine, but a 8 3/4 rear. A lot of cool hotrods down there.

Ya know, I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him. I do know that his buddy Gary Scelzi painted the car a loooong time ago. Now he works for Gary. I'll ask about the ends.

I provided a third member case for a dragster with a Chev engine and 8-3/4 rear with the Olds ends. A guy I work with is involved in the car.

I've never met Gary, but he walked right by me at a youth football game a LONG time ago. His nephew and my son were teammates.

I run 10 inch drums on my low 10 second duster. I street drive it about 500 miles per year. Sometimes short blasts up to 120 miles per hour with no problems stoping, but i do have stock 10 inch disc on the front.

I just like the idea of the 11" brakes lasting a loooooong time on the back an A-body. Probably never need shoes again.

when you upgrade to the 11" where you able to use your existing e brake cable? If not what replacement cable did you find. I know that the Aspen came with an 11" drum I think it was 1977. I am wanting to upgrade my Duster form its 7 1/4 to 8 3/4 which originally is a 9" setup. thanks

I was able to use the factory e brake cable. The biggest brakes you can put on a car when using for street use the better, IMO.

-
Back