12 volt vacuum pump problems

-

22dog22

Reaction score
bought an 12 volt electric vacuum pump ,Comp Cams, due to low engine vacuum due to cam choice , have it wired in, power up car, unit calls for an 8-10 amp fuse [ seems low to me ] but I put in a 10amp fuse , fuse blew, double checked the relay circuit wiring to make sure is correct, could not find any problems, the only thing I could maybe see is the pressure switch is not grounded correctly, I will put a star type washer under the switch to make sure it is grounded the directions states if it is not grounded the unit will not work correctly [ nothing about popping a fuse] if that does not work I will try to battery test the motor, in case the motor is bad.

If you have it wired up right, sounds like bad motor to me.

do you have a multimeter you can check the motor with? or put inline with the pump when you turn it on and see the current draw. my guess would be a bad motor as well. is the fuse popping immediately? or does the pump try to run?

i was kinda in the same boat as you, Previous owner had a vacuum pump setup because he was running a comp cams high lift cam which didn't allow for enough vacuum to operate the power brake booster(not sure if this is the only thing your running vac off of). i didn't really like having the pump as it would be much more susceptible to failure (bad pump, popped fuse, bad relay) just adds more headaches so decided to just swap over to manual brakes. nice not to have to worry a bout it anymore. LOL

ok it has been a while, was working on this problem, took all vacuum lines off and ran the vacuum pump with nothing hooked up the pump ran fine did not blow a fuse, then hooked up the vacuum hose right to the brake booster and the pump then blew a fuse, is the 12 volt vacuum pump bad ??

-
Back