134a question

-

dkamp

Reaction score
I was recently shopping for a 12 oz can of 134a and noticed that some places it is as low as $8, and others it is $22 a can.
Is there a difference between the cheap and expensive 134a freon? if so what do I look for?
David

I was recently shopping for a 12 oz can of 134a and noticed that some places it is as low as $8, and others it is $22 a can.
Is there a difference between the cheap and expensive 134a freon? if so what do I look for?
David
Lots of times the more expensive will have additives like sealants and lubricants or dyes you may or may not want or need. Other than, read the label carefully to make sure it's not some kind of generic replacement refrigerant. Make sure it's the real thing.

I was careful to not get the can with additives, and they all say:
  • Meets or exceeds AHRI 700-2006 and SAE J 2276 purity standards
I wasn't sure if there was different chemical formulas that might not mix well with others.
David

I was careful to not get the can with additives, and they all say:
  • Meets or exceeds AHRI 700-2006 and SAE J 2276 purity standards
I wasn't sure if there was different chemical formulas that might not mix well with others.
David
There should not be. By law, anything "different" must be on the label, so read carefully.

Agree with Rob. Sometimes wording is tricky, just like all advertising. If it uses any words similar to "134 replacement", RUN

Another thing you can do is look for the chemical designator

Maybe print this out

or at least write down 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane and C2H2F4

what is unique or bad about "134a replacement"?
is the replacement the 1234yf ?

Last edited:
-
Back