14 inch on front, 15 inch on back

-

DadsNewToy

Reaction score
I bought a 1970 Duster 340 back in Oct. I'm still researching what's stock on it and what's not. It's an original 340 automatic car and has a 8 3/4 rear end. It has 14 inch tires on the front and 15 inch tires on the back. Is this stock or has someone likely changed the rearend.

14's came with the car. I like 15's on back. I did that to my Swinger.before and after photo
01.jpg
001.jpg
s.

70's had small bolt pattern regardless of rear end.

if you have 14 on front and 15 on back, and want it to sit level, figure out the tire height and width to do so. mayne 60 series in rear and 70 or 75 up front. I always thought too much "stance" but undo load on front suspension???

Too much might be a problem if you don't re align. It takes caster away and you might loose some road feel.

I bought a 1970 Duster 340 back in Oct. I'm still researching what's stock on it and what's not. It's an original 340 automatic car and has a 8 3/4 rear end. It has 14 inch tires on the front and 15 inch tires on the back. Is this stock or has someone likely changed the rearend.
Quite a common upgrade. See if one of the front rims fits the rear. Unless someone upgraded both front and rear you should have the stock 4" bolt pattern.

I like the stance. She sits almost level. P255 G60 on the back and P255 70 on the front. Small bolt pattern all around. What's the advantage to go to 15 inch tires on the back? Do you change the axles?
IMG-20160715-00306.jpg

to take this subject further, back in late 80's early 90's I had a herd of TA and AAR's. back when they ere cheap. ! ha... fact about them, they came with 15 in rims, but used G's in back and F's in the front, 60 series. not sure how this computes to modern tire measuring, but the front tires were a little lower and narrower than the rear. gave it that slight "stance", also helped the fact that the exhaust exited in front of rear tires.
like others, going to 15 in rims gives a little better choice of tires. a little! changing to 73-6 A body discs, ya need the big bolt pattern, etc..... 8 1/4 and many 8 3/4 use bbp rims.

sticker-price.gif
to take this subject further, back in late 80's early 90's I had a herd of TA and AAR's. back when they ere cheap. ! ha... fact about them, they came with 15 in rims, but used G's in back and F's in the front, 60 series. not sure how this computes to modern tire measuring, but the front tires were a little lower and narrower than the rear. gave it that slight "stance", also helped the fact that the exhaust exited in front of rear tires.
like others, going to 15 in rims gives a little better choice of tires. a little! changing to 73-6 A body discs, ya need the big bolt pattern, etc..... 8 1/4 and many 8 3/4 use bbp rims.
New Challengers do the same. SRT8's have wider tires on the rear. Same size rim though. Our 2010 SRT8 did also. lkopaska

Last edited:
Here's a chart I believe is correct:
Tire Size Design Section Overall
Designation Rim Width Width Diameter
E60-15 6.00 8.70 25.50 (340, 383, 440, 440-6 & AAR front)
F60-15 6.50 9.20 25.94 (Hemi)
G60-15 7.00 9.70 26.44 (AAR rear)

-
Back