15" Steel Rims on a '68 Dart

-

KCBones

Reaction score
I recently came across a set of red circle poverty caps for a good price and wanted to use them on steel rims on my '68 Dart. The problem is the fit. For one, it's a Dart so there's not a ton of room. I'd like a narrow 15" Mopar steel rim (6" wide?) on the front and I'd like a 15x7 or 15x8 on the back with as wide of a tire that will comfortably fit with minimal modifications. The second problem is my small bolt pattern. I came across a guy that has about 30 steel mopar rims I can go through. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? I don't really know much about available sizes, back spacings, etc. for old mopar steel rims. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just call someone like Wheel Vintiques and order the right bolt pattern, size, width, and backspacing I need and skip the old junk. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
K.C.

Only the A-bodies ever got the small bolt pattern, and there was never a 15incher among them.....So yes, you can forget about ever finding a factory one.
You can have a local guy make them, or the better idea is to call the wheel guys and order what you need.
OR
AFAIK those poverty caps also came in 14s so .......... it would be a lot cheaper to just get the smaller version, just saying.

True, I could just have Weldcraft Wheels widen a pair of 14" wheels and call it a day. Probably the cheapest option.

As stated above unless your car has been changed to the 4 1/2'' bolt pattern can you fit 15's.
Now that's not saying that you can get the 4'' bolt pattern made in 15''.
Stockton Wheels made these for my 63 Valiant about 20 years ago.
15x7'' with a 4 1/4'' backspace. If you choose,make sure they do not make them a reverse wheel.The ones in the photo were.
The problem with that is with anyone in the back seat they would rub the outer inner fender.

IMG_0209.jpg

Same car with factory 15x7'' after the bolt pattern was changed to the 4 1/2''.
These wheels are from a 80's Dodge Diplomat the M body cars.
15x7'' with a 4 1/4'' backspace. I ran this wheel on multiple A bodies over the years and fit without any rubbing in the fenders.

Threequarter_rear.jpg

This a 67 Dart with "C" body 15x6'' wheels sportin' 215/60/15 front,245/60/15 rear.
Fit good.Yeah, I'm a wheel and tire junky...

IMG_0181.jpg

This a 67 Dart with "C" body 15x6'' wheels sportin' 215/60/15 front,245/60/15 rear.
Fit good.Yeah, I'm a wheel and tire junky...

View attachment 1716077307

A four door! Nice. I recently saw a really clean '69 Satellite 4 door on Marketplace, wish I had some extra space and cash. It would be great when you want to take a few extra people like me that aren't very flexible anymore and can't easily get in and out of back seats of hardtops.

I had a beautiful 64 Belvedere 4 door that I sold to a guy.His reason for buying was, he didn't want his kids crawlin' in the back seat of his Road Runner !
I've done many a 4 doors over the years. I even had a 67 Dart drag car. My car now is a 4 door 63 Belvedere.
I have been looking for a real clean "F" body 4 door Slant 6.

-
Back