15" tire size for 67-69 Dart with B.B.P.

-

gdonovan

Reaction score
Going to be running 15 x 6.5 Rallyes on my Dart with Big Bolt Pattern and I'm going to order a set of BF radials.

What ya got for sizes? Mostly for kicking around town, if I'm going racing I'll slap the slicks on.

Gary

Would like to have 60 series, throw me suggestions & comments either way.

I'll reply as I did w/a similar thread a while ago. If you go to the sticky at the top of this forum, there are numerous pages of tire/wheel combos. All of your answers are there, it just takes a little time to read.

I'll reply as I did w/a similar thread a while ago. If you go to the sticky at the top of this forum, there are numerous pages of tire/wheel combos. All of your answers are there, it just takes a little time to read.

I did and did a search, got conflicting information.

Also just because a size fits doesn't mean it fits well while cornering & during suspension travel (a problem with my Duster I don't wish to repeat)

Looking through the list (again,) very few Dart *hard tops* are actually listed, mostly Dusters and Dart Sports which have different rear wheel wells.

Bunches of 14" and 17" rims too which doesn't help.

For the front a 205-60R15 or 195 looks like the leading contender with a 225 or 235 out back.

The Duster has 205's in the front and will rub on turns once in a great while, 245's in the rear.

Looking like 205's for the front (BF doesn't make 195's) and 225's for rears (235's on backorder)

What are we talking here? Fronts? Rears? All the way around?

How do you want the car to sit? Stock? Higher in back?

Front and rear tires, either all the same size or a tad larger in the rear so it fills the wheel well a bit.

205-60R15 is the largest I'm willing to go up front and even then I bet it will rub time to time like it does on my Duster.

Tire rack has the 195-60R15's in stock and a great price with shipping to boot, I just might run with it.

Ordered the 205's from Tire Rack, thanks to those who took the time to answer questions here and on Moparts.

i just got my BBP rear in my 68 dart running steels (15x6.5) have to check BS but a 28" tall will fit i think up to a 10 " section width but i have to get me new lug nuts to be sure (for measuring)...

i'll try to get some pics up tonite with measuments

i just got my BBP rear in my 68 dart running steels (15x6.5) have to check BS but a 28" tall will fit i think up to a 10 " section width

Yeah, I think that's about as tight as you can fit on the older cars. I've got a 67 Dart and made up a little template from some poster board and cut out a 28" circle and it was really close to the front fenders. Ten inches is probably about right on the section width. I've got some 225 tires on the rear of my car now and they are a tight fit. My backspacing isn't ideal though. If it was dead center I think I could get away with 255 tires and be comfortable driving it around. I do have rolled wheel lips though. When I fit put the new tires in one side would scuff the lips on turns, so I rolled them and put on some air shocks for some extra clearance, haven't touched since.

Yeah, I think that's about as tight as you can fit on the older cars. I've got a 67 Dart and made up a little template from some poster board and cut out a 28" circle and it was really close to the front fenders. Ten inches is probably about right on the section width. I've got some 225 tires on the rear of my car now and they are a tight fit. My backspacing isn't ideal though. If it was dead center I think I could get away with 255 tires and be comfortable driving it around. I do have rolled wheel lips though. When I fit put the new tires in one side would scuff the lips on turns, so I rolled them and put on some air shocks for some extra clearance, haven't touched since.

ok well i got it all measured up today and here is what i got...

NOTE: All These Cars are Different So Measure Your First Before Buying Wheels And Tires!!!

ok pic one is 15x6.6 (4.25BS) steel wheel

next is the distance from center of axle to front wheel lip = 14.5"

third is from the front of the wheel into the upper wheel well (2 or 3 o'clock) this is the closest point in the front = 1 3/8" clearance

fourth is of the rear of the wheel well... again at the point where the tire will be closest = 1 5/8"

last is a calculated picture of the clearances (top View)
numbers are as follows with the above 15x6.5 @ 4.25 BS (no spacer needed)

on the inside of the rim the closest points to the tire (@ 28" tall) is 2" in the front ( minus .25 for clearance for 1 3/4) and 1 3/4 in the rear (again miuns .25 for 1 1/2)

on the fender side i got above measurements but i plan on at least rolling a 1/4 of the lip (3/4" wide) giving me the 1/4" clearance)

so with these numbers it gives you a max of about 9.2 section width and 28" tall with Firestone Indy 500's 235/70/15 are an exact match...

Attachments

• 0327111624.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 0327111610.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 261
  • 0327111615.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 0327111617.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 0327111938.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 272
on the fender side i got above measurements but i plan on at least rolling a 1/4 of the lip (3/4" wide) giving me the 1/4" clearance)

You'll be pushing it w/.250" to the wheel lip. You have to consider body roll when making turns. You'll rub the tire for sure. I have a finger width (approx. .500") to the lip and no rubbing whatsoever.

You'll be pushing it w/.250" to the wheel lip. You have to consider body roll when making turns. You'll rub the tire for sure. I have a finger width (approx. .500") to the lip and no rubbing whatsoever.

these are just gonna get me by until i do the inboard spring kit...

but yea i'll have to be nice around corners...

-
Back