.150 clutch pack clearance

-

standup303

Reaction score
I have .150 clearance on my high speed drum with the wavy snap ring in (.050). I have a 4 disc setup so going for .048 (.012 each disc). Even if I go with a .106 flat ring I’ll be at .094 clearance.

How can I make this up now? I read I can use one of my old steels between the pressure plate and snap ring to close clearance…seems kind of jimmy rigged. Any advice on this one? Thanks in advance.

.048 is too tight, throw that wavy ring in the trash, they are the thing to use.
Using an old steel is to do, it won't hurt anything.

Here are the 1969 specs, For the 727;
Front clutch/standard;
3disc is; .036 to .085; per disc equals .012>.028/average is .013
4disc is; .024 to .125; per disc equals .006>.031/average is .019
Front/hi-perf;
4disc is; .066 to .123; per disc equals .016>.031/average is .024
5disc is; .022 to .079; per disc equals .0044>.0158/average .010
Rear clutch/Forward all:
is 025>045/number of discs not specified; average is; .035

for street;
I leave the wavy's in.
>The one in the Hi-drum softens the reverse hit. I hate when the trans bangs into reverse.
and at WOT, most of us don't get into third until 75 mph or higher, so who cares.
>The one in the Forward clutch softens the engagement from N/P into gear. I hate when the trans bangs into gear like a racecar.
Once it's in gear, the trans don't know it's there.
>I've tried it both ways on a kitted 904. First without, then with. I left them in there.
I built my 904 with ~.012 per disc, seemed ok. I've run more; trans didn't seem to care.

Jus saying.

Last edited:
When you run the tight end of the spec it tends to cause shift overlap, personally I'd look at adding another clutch and another steel... Might need a thinner pressure plate to do it but more clutches never hurts....

I agree with 413 that adding a used steel is an accepted way to tighten the clearance

And I agree with AJ for a street application the wavy snap rings soften the hit....

If you want to reduce clutch free play.....
Get two friction plates. Scrape/remove the friction material from one side of EACH plate. Piggy back them in the clutch pack.

U should have at minimum .015 per clutch if this is a stock build. Any kind of performance should v be e .020 per clutch. I have had to add an extra steel against the piston to take up some clearance. U can also mill the piston down .040 to add another clutch and steel. I’ve even milled the pressure plate for clearance. Kim

Thanks for the replies. Think I got it. Should have the 727 100% back together tomorrow.

-
Back