$1500 for WHAT? You gotta be sh***in' me

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
I've sold two 351's over the past couple of years. Sold the first for $200, the second left tonight for $150. Both core engines, no verification on anything, rebuild em at your own expense.

Guy who bought the second one tonight is using his for a Street Stock dirt track Fox body.

Told me that engines like one I sold him are priced in the $150-$300 range depending on how complete it is and what year. (This was a '92 pulled from an F250.)

He told me some guys are giving up to $1500 for 351's they can verify by running them and even test driving what they are in.

$1500 for a 351 Windsor? Really?

Holy crap, and here I was grabbing all the Mopars I could find back in the day when I should have been buying up every LTD station wagon to sell to the Street Stock guys.

Kick me now. And kick me hard.

Lol, if I could go back in time and buy up all the things that I dang near gave away and us now worth serious coin. I'd be a financially comfortable man.

I reckon my Cleveland 4 barrel motor is worth 5K.

I want to put a 351 in my 98 ford ranger. 2wd 5 speed manual. They sell for $50 for a seized core to $1500 for a "hear it run" in the rig before you buy.

Lol, if I could go back in time and buy up all the things that I dang near gave away and us now worth serious coin. I'd be a financially comfortable man.

You mean like 302 powered Granada I had as a field car as a kid only to find out *after* I scrapped it I could have made more than scrap prices from the Mustang guys who would beat the crap out of each other to get ahold of the front disk set up?

Or all the 302 heads I sent to scrap on the late '80's M-bodies I drove into the ground?

I need to stop now. I'm depressing myself.

And to think I bought this one as a core for a $100 as a planned 427 stroker for my now deceased F150.

And the other one I got out of a junk truck I bought for $300.

Let's see. $300.

Engine sold for $200.

C6 sold for $200.

Still have the good CAPA certified box side for the next $250 that someone wants to give me.

3.55 LSD rear that I haven't pulled yet.

$150 for the junk tin.

Kept both clean doors in case I ever buy another Bullnose.

Still have to chunk up the frame for scrap.

I think I'm ahead on that one, no matter how you look at it.

You mean like 302 powered Granada I had as a field car as a kid only to find out *after* I scrapped it I could have made more than scrap prices from the Mustang guys who would beat the crap out of each other to get ahold of the front disk set up?

Or all the 302 heads I sent to scrap on the late '80's M-bodies I drove into the ground?

I need to stop now. I'm depressing myself.
Yeah, or the 302, disc brake Mavericks, I bought one for the set up to put in my wifes 65 mustang. Came home one day and there's a guy sitting in my driveway with a check book. Said he had to have the mustang and to let him know what amount to fill in. Lol. I said if I am going to sell it, cash was the only way. Sold it for $2500, then sold the maverick to a buddy for $500. My 454/4spd 3/4 ton suburban I sold for $1250. Every day I regret that one. And I look daily on craigslist for it to be listed.

Water cast under the bridge of the past cannot be redrawn from the well of the future.

You got a fair price for those engines at the time and it is all you could have done.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...nothing more than a fantasy that has no relevance to current reality.

The future is forward...not backward.

Turn your ship to gather the wind and sail forward.

I have a 1970 351 4V Cleveland setting in the garage. came out of a Mach I Mustang, I had it in a 72 Torino Gran Sport with the C6. It ran when I pulled it, man that thing has some serious bottom end torque, it would pull like there's no tomorrow. You could practically put your fist in the intake runner. Smoked like a ***** when I pulled it.

Water cast under the bridge of the past cannot be redrawn from the well of the future.

You got a fair price for those engines at the time and it is all you could have done.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...nothing more than a fantasy that has no relevance to current reality.

The future is forward...not backward.

Turn your ship to gather the wind and sail forward.

Actually, this thread was meant all in good fun. I have no regrets on what was scrapped, what was saved, what was sold.

It's a good example of what the Saturday night rounders will pay.

If you wanna make something valuable get your local sanctioning body to make it legal, then make it competitive.

Remember when Ford 9" were worth more than most decent daily drivers they were in? Or how the Chevy guys running 358" would knock each other down for "double hump heads?"

All because the racers wanted them?

I mean, $1500 for a running driving 351W that *still* needs to be torn down to build it for race specs? Bwahahahaha!!!! The heads flow like crap, so those are gonna wind up in the scrap heap and they're gonna knock themselves over looking for GT40 heads off every Mountaineer and Explorerer they can find. The intake and upper plenum are gonna wind up in the scrap pile cause they run carburation.

What *exactly* does running and driving mean in this case? Absolutely jack.

Hell, the class is limited for *up to* 360!

Every racer *had* to have a 9". The only viability of the 9" in this case is the ability for quick change. For the price of one 9" I could build several 8.8.'s or 8.25" - or hell - even 9.25's that will stand up to a season of 50 lap sprints.

Those "double hump heads?" They were available in 2.02 or 1.94 valves. So if you had the 1.94" you were paying the machine shop to open up the heads for 2.02" vavles anyway. At that point, flow a set of cheaper heads, open the damn things up and be just as competitive.

Yes, I know, some classes back in the day kept everyone to stock components and that necessitated being stuck with as cast stock parts.

Oh, and @RustyRatRod, that Cleveland engine isn't worth jack because the racers can't get it to fit between the fender wells of a Fox body. :lol:

I've sold two 351's over the past couple of years. Sold the first for $200, the second left tonight for $150. Both core engines, no verification on anything, rebuild em at your own expense.

He told me some guys are giving up to $1500 for 351's they can verify by running them and even test driving what they are in.

$1500 for a 351 Windsor? Really?

Kick me now. And kick me hard.

I bought a 78 Ford Conversion Van some time ago. At a local Auction. Paid $900 for it thinking we could get some use out it... My Wife Thought otherwise... Anyway, After getting it back home, found out it had a 351 HO, 4 bbl, C6, tranny, Aluminum Driveshaft. Good running engine.. I ended up selling it for 1500,, and the Guy was Happy to get it..

I use to grab up small journal 327s. Chevy guys love them in that they rev to the moon. With the advent of the LS motors there’s not much of a calling except for those doing an SS resto

At least you didn't stock up on beanie babies or pogs.

The only reason it's worth anything now is because nobody thought it would ever be worth anything then. The most discardable, disposable, fragile things in our current society is what will be worth the most in the future.

Y'know. Like ammo.

Every time I see a thread like this, I think about my 71 cuda and 2 extra grills (that I pulled for $40-50 in local yards). All owned briefly about some 30yrs ago. Then sold for not much more than I paid. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I did have an extra lower valence insert that I saved until about 2 years ago. Sold that on ebag a for $185. Think I paid $5-10 for that.
'scuse me while I go cry. :(

Last edited:
-
Back