15's on a 63 Valiant

-

fzmax

Reaction score
After way too much time and way too much money I've finally got 15-inch wheels on my Valiant. They are 15 x 8 out back and 15 x 7 in front, both with 4 1/2 inches of backspace. The front rims are very close to the upper control arm and the rear is dead center of the wheel well. If I had to do it again I'd give the rears 4 3/4 back space and the front 4 1/4. The tires don't rub anywhere, but the rears look like they could touch the wheel house if loaded up and under heavy side G's.

I also installed a set of ESPO plus one inch springs. Hopefully they'll settle down a bit. It popped the back up a little over two inches. Not quite nosebleed territory, but a little high for my tastes.

Test_fit_rear_2.JPG

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

W3.jpg

W4.jpg

W5.jpg

W6.jpg

I went with the same +1" ESPO springs too, after about 6 months they haven't settled much, and they raise the back a little high for my taste too, but I got used to it. Best thing to do is just be happy; there's no way to know for sure how it will look til it's done, and your car looks great!! Love the color too.

That's a great look! Nice Valiant....toolman

Thanks for the kids words. Since yesterday I put about 150 miles on it and it has settled a little, all of a 1/4 inch or so. But the car is completely transformed. It rides better, handling is on a different plane and I think I'll be able to put on the rear sway bar I bought almost a year ago. Before the springs and tires the car would over steer, but now it's pretty neutral. Driving it is a joy! Now if the A/C kit would just get here...

Does it have a 2.2 turbo?? Saw it on the license plate.

No, at least not yet. I did the plates with MS Paint. I have the turbo (from a 2.2), a pile of tubing and the drive, it's just been too damn hot. The goal is to have it under pressure before winter hits.

No, at least not yet. I did the plates with MS Paint. I have the turbo (from a 2.2), a pile of tubing and the drive, it's just been too damn hot. The goal is to have it under pressure before winter hits.

Sounds like a neet build. Show us lots of pics when you do it.

You'll defiantly have something different. Are you going to use a dakota trans to get rear wheel drive?

I basically had the same thing but yours is a little nicer. 15 x 8 on the back 4.875" backspace and 15 x 5 on the fronts. The tires were 245/60 15 and the fronts were 205s. ESPO springs arched 2" over stock - no rubbing. Car is long gone...
IMG_8283.jpg

Sounds like a neet build. Show us lots of pics when you do it.

You'll defiantly have something different. Are you going to use a dakota trans to get rear wheel drive?

Oh, it's not getting the actual 2.2, just the turbocharger. I'm going to boost the 170 that's in there already.

I basically had the same thing but yours is a little nicer. 15 x 8 on the back 4.875" backspace and 15 x 5 on the fronts. The tires were 245/60 15 and the fronts were 205s. ESPO springs arched 2" over stock - no rubbing. Car is long gone...

Damn! I wanted to buy that car. When I found your thread it was too late.

-
Back