16:1 manual steering opinions?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
Theres a 16:1 box for sale on the local craigslist but, I was wondering if anyone who has used one could let me know how they liked it or didn't like it. I'm planning on running a small block with 245/60/15 tires up front.

I think my old 66 Barracuda had one added by the current owner, but I can't remember if Lee got the 20:1 or the 16:1 (he did this 20-plus years ago, so my memory isn't completely clear on the subject). He hangs out here a little. Look for "Lil Cuda" and ask him.

Here I am. :)

Anyway, I have the 16:1 and I like it, but it's definitely not easy to drive when you're moving slowly. Mine is not a daily driver, so it's not a big deal. Places you will notice it is manuevering in parking lots or any other slow turns. You have to make sure the car is moving a bit before turning the wheel. You can't really crank the wheel with the car stopped. I ran 215 60R 14 tires the whole time I've had it. Currently the car is on jack stands while I convert it to big bolt pattern. After that I plan to run 225 60R 15 tires. Not sure how it will be with 245's on the front.

I would buy it not matter what if it's good deal, you can always resell it if you don't like it. THey are not very common. Just make sure it really is a 16:1. It should be about 3.6 turns lock to lock. A stock 24:1 is just over 5 turns and a 20:1 is about 4.5 turns.

-
Back