17" versus 14" tires

-
This is the 255/45r17..17x8 w/5.5 bs..so tell me why these wheels rub on the bottom of the front fender..and these same wheels clear with no problems on a
72 demon..I have never heard on 71 and 72 front demon fenders being different except the side marker lights..I’ll have to check out my 71 demon parts car and compare to my dads 72 demon

View attachment 1716164986

They clear a ‘72 Dart fender because they’re different than the ‘67-71 Dart fenders.

There’s more information on the wheel opening differences in this thread

Help: 72 Dart Swinger front pass. fender rubbing

And regardless, at 26.1” tall and as wide as a 255 those tires are pushing the limit for clearance of even the most generous A-bodies.

Is this for a street car? For personal enjoyment?
If yes;
Forget about it
On the street, at the front, I can barely overdrive sticky 245s, and I can burn a pair off in a couple of weeks.
I eventually installed 235/60-14s up front, and lowered the rear tire pressures, and now I just skate around the turns with throttle, which is seriously way more fun.

Is this for a street car? For personal enjoyment?
If yes;
Forget about it
On the street, at the front, I can barely overdrive sticky 245s, and I can burn a pair off in a couple of weeks.
I eventually installed 235/60-14s up front, and lowered the rear tire pressures, and now I just skate around the turns with throttle, which is seriously way more fun.
When I read your replies, it seems like you only beat the living shot out of your cars with wide open throttle hammerings. Then you assume everyone else has no control over there right foot.

Why do you want to “Overdrive” your front tires and front end?

When I read your replies, it seems like you only beat the living shot out of your cars with wide open throttle hammerings. Then you assume everyone else has no control over there right foot.

Why do you want to “Overdrive” your front tires and front end?

Right?!

If you can overdrive your front tires, you need more front tire. The goal should be that the front tires can take everything you can give them and more, you’ll get a lot more performance like that.

Regardless, they don’t make anything in a DOT legal 235/60/14 that’s even half the performance of what’s readily available for a 17” or 18” rim nowadays.

Run whatever you want of course, but let’s not pretend that a 235/60/14 is as much performance as you can get out of one of these cars on the street. Not even close.

EXACTLY!!!
If you can overdrive your front tires, you need more front tire. The goal should be that the front tires can take everything you can give them and more, you’ll get a lot more performance like that.

Regardless, they don’t make anything in a DOT legal 235/60/14 that’s even half the performance of what’s readily available for a 17” or 18” rim nowadays.

Run whatever you want of course, but let’s not pretend that a 235/60/14 is as much performance as you can get out of one of these cars on the street. Not even close.
And he acts like I haunt him, LMAO @ wacko information.
He’s a good fella but …. A lot of what he writes …..

that's the size (255/50R17) I used on my old 5th ave back in the day and am leaning towards on my duster after the big bolt/disc brake conversion.....235/55R17 is a fairly common size (standard tire size on mid '00 mustangs, IIRC)

View attachment 1716154515
what rims are those exactly I have been looking for a set of tourq thrusts for my fifth ave but cant seem to find any that fit I am looking to get a set like this right here I just need to know if these will fit without modification to the car and if someone can send a link to them keep in mind my fifth ave is has a stock rear end but I might upgrade to the diplomat police rear end in the future as long as the rims and tires I get mock up

what rims are those exactly I have been looking for a set of tourq thrusts for my fifth ave but cant seem to find any that fit I am looking to get a set like this right here I just need to know if these will fit without modification to the car and if someone can send a link to them keep in mind my fifth ave is has a stock rear end but I might upgrade to the diplomat police rear end in the future as long as the rims and tires I get mock up
those are OEM Ford Mustang Bullit wheels from the late 90's through 03/04? they are +30mm offset. I used a set of 6061 billet bolt on adapters that were 3/4" thick (the lugnuts holding them to the car fit in a pocket in the wheel between the lug holes). so if you get a set of 17x8 wheels with a +10 to 12 mm offset, they will fit your M body perfect.

As an aside, if you're looking for lower gears for your M body, a jeep XJ cherokee rear end is basically the same width. you'll need to cut off the old perches and shock mounts and weld on new ones, but most in junkyards are chrysler 8.25" rears with 3.55 gearing (auto) or 3.08 gearing (manual)

-
Back