17" Wheels with KH Disc Brakes

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
So I stopped by the Motech booth today at Fall Fling and they had a special for 4 wheels for $498. It can either be painted grey or black and be either 7" wide with a 4.25 bs or 8" wide with a 4.5" bs. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew what would be a good tire selection if I were to use one of these wheels. I could also get them in an 18" wheel but that just seems like more rotating mass and a lot of empty space inside the wheel due to small rotors and drums.

Essentially I'd like to fit the widest tires under there with the least amount of modification. I'd like to use the Dart as a cruiser for now with a couple days a year running on a track (like Willows or Adams Raceway). I'd eventually like to build it up to be a nice corner carver (big T-bars, Hotchkis suspension, FF parts, etc.).

Right now I'm running a 14" wheel with a 205/70/14 tire. I've got KH up front and 10" discs out back under the 7 1/4. Before I put new wheels on this car, the 7 1/4 will come out for an 8 3/4 I have sitting in my garage. It just needs shock plates, a shorter driveshaft, and a good look over. It is currently a 489 case, open, 2.76:1 rear end with what I believe are 10" drums. It came out of a 70-71 Dart.

The guy at Motech recommended a 215/45/17 up front with a 7" wide wheel and for the back either a 235 series tire for the 7" wide wheel or 255 series for an 8" wide wheel. Can I fit a 225/45 up front? Should I go with the same tire size all the way around or stick with small tires.

If I go for a wheel, it would probably be the black one:

An 18" wheel on their customer's '72 Duster with BBP:

One of the other show cars:

i would go with 17 inch. no bigger. and stagger the size a bit. 7 in front 8 in back with tires sizes to match. there nice looking rims. wish you had a pic from the side of the cars just to see the rims better

bro, do you plan to run square or staggered wheels

I'm not sure. I like the look of staggered but I can rotate the tires with square wheels. Plus there's less understeer with "square" wheels. Sway me one way or the other. If I go staggered I'd like at the 255's (no smaller than 245's) on the back and I'm shooting for 225's on the front if possible.

i would go with 17 inch. no bigger. and stagger the size a bit. 7 in front 8 in back with tires sizes to match. there nice looking rims. wish you had a pic from the side of the cars just to see the rims better

I have side shots of the wheels on the Barracuda. They were 215/45/17 on the front and 225/45/17 on the back.

Attachments

• 101_0802.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 448
  • 101_0803.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 432
personally, i like square wheels for a driver because as you mentioned you can rotate tires...and unless your alignment is perfect, well we know what will happen.

what is the finish on the rims? are they bare and polished or do they have a coating to keep them nice?

personally, i like square wheels for a driver because as you mentioned you can rotate tires...and unless your alignment is perfect, well we know what will happen.

what is the finish on the rims? are they bare and polished or do they have a coating to keep them nice?

You can either get them painted or pay about $70-80 extra to get them polished.

Don't expect me to like 18 inch or larger, and 17 are barely acceptable depending on wheel design and tire profile

The 5.72" bs mentioned earlier is what the Mustang bullit (and several other) wheels that some members have used. Unless you run spacers in the back or a B-body rear end, that much backspace won't work in the rear. They would be just about right up front however. Ideally, with stock rear, you would run a 5.70" to 5.75" bs in front and 4.75" bs in the back. This based on a 17" wheel.
Keep in mind that the 8.25" rear end is narrower than the 8.75" and would require even less backspace.
You need to get your backspace and offset measurements dead-nuts if you want to run a 255 or larger, assuming no rear wheel well modifications have been done.

Coy's 18x8", 4" backspace, 225/45 up front, 245/50 in back. Front of the car is lowered 2 1/2" - 3". Minor trimming to the wheel lip.

I'd bet that 7" wide rim on front with a 215 or a 225 would fit with no trimming at all. That was my plan, but Coy's only had 8" width when I ordered.

Those who think you need more backspace for the front must be using 4.5" brakes, which has a wider track than the KH brakes.

I have side shots of the wheels on the Barracuda. They were 215/45/17 on the front and 225/45/17 on the back.
those look nice. should have a bit more meat of the tires though. bigger rims are nice and long as the tire side walls dont get to small. i think 17" are nice for a modern look but would never go bigger then that on a muscle car.

for a tire suggestion id go with the hankook v12's im running 255/45/18 rear and 245/40/18 front the on my valiant. they are sooo grippy in the turns.on a very sharp turn when i have a full tank of gas so the inside tire dosent lift i can feel them just plant. i have yet to drive them in the rain but they have the highest rated wet traction. there also on that barracuda.

for a tire suggestion id go with the hankook v12's im running 255/45/18 rear and 245/40/18 front the on my valiant. they are sooo grippy in the turns.on a very sharp turn when i have a full tank of gas so the inside tire dosent lift i can feel them just plant. i have yet to drive them in the rain but they have the highest rated wet traction. there also on that barracuda.

:worthles:

there ya go
of coarse these are on 9in wide wheels

Attachments

• car 1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 369
  • car 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 390
  • car 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 364

:worthles:

there ya go
of coarse these are on 9in wide wheels

Man it is refreshing to see you guys putting "a tire" on your wheels. It makes the wheel upgrade make sense.

The 5.72" bs mentioned earlier is what the Mustang bullit (and several other) wheels that some members have used. Unless you run spacers in the back or a B-body rear end, that much backspace won't work in the rear. They would be just about right up front however. Ideally, with stock rear, you would run a 5.70" to 5.75" bs in front and 4.75" bs in the back. This based on a 17" wheel.
Keep in mind that the 8.25" rear end is narrower than the 8.75" and would require even less backspace.
You need to get your backspace and offset measurements dead-nuts if you want to run a 255 or larger, assuming no rear wheel well modifications have been done.

I knew of the Mustang Wheel, but again, they obviously don't come in SBP. I'll be using a stock A body 8 3/4 with 10" drums.

I'm thinking about calling in and ordering the wheels sometime this week. They'll sit in my garage for awhile. I'm thinking about getting 17x7's for the front and trying a 215/45/17 and 17x8's for the rear. I'm just uncertain for the rear tire size for a stock 8 3/4. I was thinking something like a 255/40/17. Any opinions for the rears?

I've got a spare 215/50/17 tire in my garage from my sister's Mazda 3, but they seem pretty tall for the front.

if you haven't seen this yet it can be very helpful

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

sense i dont have a dart i would suggest a max with of 245 for the rear. best way would be to get the rear in and have your wheels bolted on to see what you can run while leaving about 1.5 inches from the top of the tire to the inner and outer fenders to account for body roll. you seem set on a 25in tire so you could get away with tighter clearances compared to my 27in rears. if you get a sway bar it could be even tighter.

Might want to toss the SBP.

Too late. I already rebuilt the entire brake system. Everything is new from calipers, rotors, pads, studs, MC, lines, etc.

Until I get another A-body and collect all the parts for a bbp setup the KH setup is staying. Unless you plan on funding me, then sure, I'll switch to bbp.

if you haven't seen this yet it can be very helpful

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

sense i dont have a dart i would suggest a max with of 245 for the rear. best way would be to get the rear in and have your wheels bolted on to see what you can run while leaving about 1.5 inches from the top of the tire to the inner and outer fenders to account for body roll. you seem set on a 25in tire so you could get away with tighter clearances compared to my 27in rears. if you get a sway bar it could be even tighter.

I've seen the site and use it quite religiously. I know a 245/45/17 should fit just fine. I'd just like a little more contact patch width wise. I'm more set on a 25-26" tire as I may have plans to slightly lower the car in the future so I really don't want any rub from the front or rear.

-
Back