170 /6, Whats it worth? And where can I get one?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
Since my Dart has hit the back burner sadly due to further and further issues arising, not with the Dart, just life in general, I am thinking of finding a 170 slant when I can afford one or trade a 318 for one and building a high revving twin turbo EFI 170 with an OD 4 speed and sticking it in my Dart so I can drive her around almost everyday without hurting my wallet too bad. So, what would a 170 slant and OD 4 speed setup for it probably run me realistically?

They are beconing worth more because of what you are wanting to build. A lot of others are doing the same so that's kinda drivin the prices up. Just like 198 rods. So you're ditchin an affordable engine build for an exotic expensive one? Ok.

I'll trade you the 318 for a running 225 slant and a 904 tranny. Or I know a guy who's got a 170 RIGHT NOW for $150. I bet if he were offered $100 he'd take it.

I'll trade you the 318 for a running 225 slant and a 904 tranny. Or I know a guy who's got a 170 RIGHT NOW for $150. I bet if he were offered $100 he'd take it.
I have a stock '71 340 intake thats in pretty decent shape and I'll even blast it for him for an even trade for it if he would do that.8)

@StrokerScamp: didn't know they were that exotic. It's just like you told me. If someone who is a big block guy and wants to stuff a 440 into a Barracuda has a 170, whats it worth to him? Nothing almost. I just didn't know they were that exotic. I thought the aluminum slants would be considered more exotic, now thats something that costs a pretty penny to get a hold of.

There is a member on here that has 2 turbos that are the perfect size for what I plan to do and real cheap too and a megasquirt system shouldn't be too bad. But yeah, I guess it'd be considered exotic. I've always wanted to do a twin turbo slant and I will probably end up welding the intake and exhaust all up myself, I know this build isn't gonna happen overnight, it will probably take a year or so maybe as I will be working on it little by little, but when I will be done, the goal is to push some good hp and tq without having crap for gas mileage.

I have a stock '71 340 intake thats in pretty decent shape and I'll even blast it for him for an even trade for it if he would do that.8)

@StrokerScamp: didn't know they were that exotic. It's just like you told me. If someone who is a big block guy and wants to stuff a 440 into a Barracuda has a 170, whats it worth to him? Nothing almost. I just didn't know they were that exotic. I thought the aluminum slants would be considered more exotic, now thats something that costs a pretty penny to get a hold of.

I went back and didn't see anything about where I said they were "exotic" except for the intended build. Certainly nothing exotic about a stock 170 slant. Don't know where that came from. I simply said that because of people wanting to and doing the same as you...not to mention the fact that a ton of people scrap them, they are getting hard to find. So when you find one, unless someone holds no value on it whatsoever, it may cost. That's what I meant. Just a twin turbo slant is somewhat exotic in comparison to a two barrel 318. Do you not agree with that?

HP and gas mileage isnt normally used in the same sentence. KISS have you looked in any of the JunkYards for either the slanty or a good Small Block? Here is what I did. Set a plan and stick to it as much as you can. Decided what you want and how to get there. IMO I believe that a good running SB in your case would be a better option. Why a 318 though there are 360's out there too unwanted.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/index.php
Read, read, read and check out the new Forced Induction forum and the Fuel injection forum. Also, don't forget to become a member so you can view the classifieds, lot's of great deals on slants and slant parts over there. Lot's of smart people too that know what they're talking about, and a few who don't have a clue.

By the way, it warms my heart to hear that somone, somewhere is thinking of ditching a V8 in favor of a slant. Keep me updated.

I went back and didn't see anything about where I said they were "exotic" except for the intended build. Certainly nothing exotic about a stock 170 slant. Don't know where that came from. I simply said that because of people wanting to and doing the same as you...not to mention the fact that a ton of people scrap them, they are getting hard to find. So when you find one, unless someone holds no value on it whatsoever, it may cost. That's what I meant. Just a twin turbo slant is somewhat exotic in comparison to a two barrel 318. Do you not agree with that?

Yes, I would agree. But how long would the 318 stay stock was a question of it too. It'd end up getting modified at some point down the line.

HP and gas mileage isnt normally used in the same sentence. KISS have you looked in any of the JunkYards for either the slanty or a good Small Block? Here is what I did. Set a plan and stick to it as much as you can. Decided what you want and how to get there. IMO I believe that a good running SB in your case would be a better option. Why a 318 though there are 360's out there too unwanted.
I have my 318 I currently have in the car that will run, the 360 that greenhornet gave me and the 340 and forged 340 crank I recieved. I have just always wanted to do a twin turbo slant six since the moment I got into mopars and 340s have always been pretty cool to me, but I think that the 340 will probably get tucked away and maybe used on something else in the future. Its not like we only build one car in our lifes and 340s are only getting harder to come by. That and I'd rather let go of the 318 than a 340 or a 360. There isn't a ton of junkyards out here but I plan on hitting them all once I can.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/index.php
Read, read, read and check out the new Forced Induction forum and the Fuel injection forum. Also, don't forget to become a member so you can view the classifieds, lot's of great deals on slants and slant parts over there. Lot's of smart people too that know what they're talking about, and a few who don't have a clue.

By the way, it warms my heart to hear that somone, somewhere is thinking of ditching a V8 in favor of a slant. Keep me updated.
Thanks Matt8). I completely forgot about /6.org, thanks for reminding me! =D As I said, I've just always wanted to do one, hence DarTT

I mean......I'm just tryin to understand. You have pretty much a runnin car now. It may not now, but it did when you got it, because I heard it run over the phone. It may have some problems to work out, but it's closer to a DD than a twin turbo slant. I think switching to such a different gear will prolong your project even more, but it's your project. Since you've moved in with your dad, it does not seem like the emergency situation it once was for you to get it running, so either you have other transportation now, or someone is haulin you around everywhere. All I'm gettin at is what you've been sayin all along. And that has been to get somethin runnin ASAP. Evidently, that's changed if you're talkin about a twin turbo slant. Plus, all these great people on this site (myself included) gave you a ton of parts for a different car other than what you now have, and with the intentions of it being a V8, those parts are for such. So now I guess you want slant 6 parts? All I know is, if a bunch of strangers went to the trouble to give me a "fuckton" of stuff as you would say, I would be doing everything in my power to get it built just to show my grattitude, instead of being all over the radar with no compass. I have changed my mind on my own build numerous times, but in your case, people have a vested interest because they have been kind enough to donate parts to you, the time to get them out, box them up take them to the PO and pay the money to send your way. I don't know what that running total is, but I bet it's not small. I gave you a Thermoquad Superquad that I paid over 200 bucks for, plus an Edelbrock Performer for a small block that I talked a friend into giving you that you've never met. Those are around 200 new. There's 400 bucks worth right there, plus the pile of stuff you have here people have sent here because your original plans included buying the car Bruce has and bringing it 50 miles to me for me to help you build it. Then you get this other car. And now you're wanting ditch the V8 and go with a slant. I can't speak for the rest of our members, but I'm not ready to donate a bunch of slant parts. Lastly, I have not really said anything about this, but since I laid all the rest out there, I'm gonna say this. I have all of these parts that people sent. They gave them to you. They are yours to do with as you please, as far as I'm concerned up to and including what I gave you. When I give somebody somethin, I give it to um. I even got accused of bein shady in all this by another member at your expense, remember that? We worked through it because I know he meant no harm and was only trying to look out for everyone's best interest. I can understand that because I was a total stranger in all this. But I am tellin all the members here and now that every single part that was sent to me or that I went out of my way to pick up for Mike is still here and still intended for Mike. Mike, a lot of people have gone way outta their way and above and beyond for you to help a young gun. I think it's time to man up, make your mind up and do something with it.

listen man go with a v8 for what its worth just go with a v8 you will thank me later ;)

I mean......I'm just tryin to understand. You have pretty much a runnin car now. It may not now, but it did when you got it, because I heard it run over the phone. It may have some problems to work out, but it's closer to a DD than a twin turbo slant. I think switching to such a different gear will prolong your project even more, but it's your project. Since you've moved in with your dad, it does not seem like the emergency situation it once was for you to get it running, so either you have other transportation now, or someone is haulin you around everywhere. All I'm gettin at is what you've been sayin all along. And that has been to get somethin runnin ASAP. Evidently, that's changed if you're talkin about a twin turbo slant. Plus, all these great people on this site (myself included) gave you a ton of parts for a different car other than what you now have, and with the intentions of it being a V8, those parts are for such. So now I guess you want slant 6 parts? All I know is, if a bunch of strangers went to the trouble to give me a "fuckton" of stuff as you would say, I would be doing everything in my power to get it built just to show my grattitude, instead of being all over the radar with no compass. I have changed my mind on my own build numerous times, but in your case, people have a vested interest because they have been kind enough to donate parts to you, the time to get them out, box them up take them to the PO and pay the money to send your way. I don't know what that running total is, but I bet it's not small. I gave you a Thermoquad Superquad that I paid over 200 bucks for, plus an Edelbrock Performer for a small block that I talked a friend into giving you that you've never met. Those are around 200 new. There's 400 bucks worth right there, plus the pile of stuff you have here people have sent here because your original plans included buying the car Bruce has and bringing it 50 miles to me for me to help you build it. Then you get this other car. And now you're wanting ditch the V8 and go with a slant. I can't speak for the rest of our members, but I'm not ready to donate a bunch of slant parts. Lastly, I have not really said anything about this, but since I laid all the rest out there, I'm gonna say this. I have all of these parts that people sent. They gave them to you. They are yours to do with as you please, as far as I'm concerned up to and including what I gave you. When I give somebody somethin, I give it to um. I even got accused of bein shady in all this by another member at your expense, remember that? We worked through it because I know he meant no harm and was only trying to look out for everyone's best interest. I can understand that because I was a total stranger in all this. But I am tellin all the members here and now that every single part that was sent to me or that I went out of my way to pick up for Mike is still here and still intended for Mike. Mike, a lot of people have gone way outta their way and above and beyond for you to help a young gun. I think it's time to man up, make your mind up and do something with it.
I was on the verge of getting it running and what happened is that the car now has to go sit on my friend's property until I have somewhere to work on it or the money to keep going. I was really close but I had to get it towed from my dads. That's why I haven't really been talking to anyone lately. My stepmom got piss faced drunk and through a fit and sai that I know nothing. That I should just give up. 5 minutes later, she comes back throwing dishes at me as I put a fuel pump on and can't get the bottom end to thread on cuz I'm shaking and this lady is yelling at me that she wants me the hell out of her house right now this second and to pack my **** and get out because I am ruining her and my fathers life because I stress them out because she doesn't like the fact that the car is in the garage and she doesn't like how I was trying to get it done and if I coulda got down to your house. It would be. But for now, it sits at my friend James house for now and I am living with my mother in gainesville. Im sorry I really didn't wanna bring my drama into anyones life and I didn't want anyone to flip **** on me or tell me even more that I messed up and I'm trying to fix everything right now. I don't like bothering you Rob whenever I have a question, you seem annoyed by it and my transmission is leaking from the speedometer cable part and parts of my front end rubber bushing are just falling off from being so dry rotted. I am gonna get it running with what is there now and I will get a slant built to put in it. But for now, I really do have alot of work to do on it to get it safe to drive around town really and now I have to focus on getting another car for now. Im gonna get whats there going when I can. Im not going back on my decision to do a small block soon or even get this 318 running really good like I would really like to with all the parts I recieved from the awesome people of FABO, I just really need to just go get them from down there. I have just been really panicked lately with all this **** happening and I wish they were up here. And I don't wanna ask anyones help on any of this because I have already recieved alot which you have already pointed out to me and asking for more would simply be selfish and stupid and I'm sorry I can't always succeed 100% of the time and that I screwed up and that I just made everything worse for myself. I want to get this car running and I was working at it and if I didn't have to had the car where it was or the parts where thay are then I wouldn't be in this situation. I ended up in a bad situation where I got screwed by a series of stupid events which led me to learn that I shouldn't be an idiot and I should just keep my mouth shut sometimes. I shouldn't of made the choices I did when I did and I set in motion a series of events which taught me that I can't trust my father because his wife is psycho and would like to see me live on the streets and that family is the people who care about you and what you do

I have an aluminum 225 /6 in my 1962 Dodge Lancer just dying to get rebuilt.
Due to some leakage from all the seals (from sitting YEARS), and some smoking.
But with it being so rare/odd, I wasn't able to find anyone to do it. So I purchased another 225 /6 from a fellow FABO member, that came out of a 67 Dart to rebuild and switch them out. (got my fingers crossed that it works, it was already pulled)
Finally found a local club, BigEasyMOPAR, and a couple of members stated they'd look at them to rebuild. Not looking to get it done for free, but don't want to spend more rebuilding then I could buying from Autozone, that states they could order a 225 for around $1100.
Also, I see there are 2, 1965 Darts in the Montgomery AL, Pull a Part! About 3 hours from you? There is a Dart and a Demon with slants in them at the New Orleans Pull a Part, but rust has won the battle on the Demon. Dart has a few parts that are salvageable.

DarTT, I don't know you at all or know the exact situation, but from reading Stroker's post, it sounds like a lot of people spent their time and money to help you out with your build. Now if people are donating to your build, that must mean that you came on here and showed people you really have an interest in this hobby, you just don't have the money to build a running car. Sounds like some people banded together and gave you a good start on your project. Stroker himself sounds like he's going way out of his way to help you out with this deal.

Now you're on here wanting to build a twin turn EFI 170 with a 4 speed? If I were one of the people that donated, I would demand my parts back. It's one thing if they donated the money to turn a slant car into a v8 and you ran into an emergency to where you just have to find a cheap slant to throw in and get around town. But thats not the case. You want to build a performance slant with what money? While what donated parts are just laying around? If thats the case then that is total BS and one of the reasons why people will stop donating their time and money to help other people out.

It sounds like your living situation sucks, I get that. But you can't come on here with this sob story saying you need to build a twin turbo EFI slant six to get back on your feet. When people get kicked out of the house with little money, they go and buy a 91 GEO Metro. They don't go building performance engines.

they go and buy a 91 GEO Metro.
That's pretty much the plan from here. Find a beater using savings money that was put away incase of emergency. Im not gonna build a performance engine right now, but maybe in the future I guess. Im not asking anyone for parts for it. Its not gonna get me on my feet at all. I was just asking about a 170 slant and how much its worth.

Mike, I've never been annoyed at any questions you ask. That's why I keep answerin them. Sorry about your situation and not trying to diminish it in any way whatsoever, but we all have a bag of rocks to tote. Sometimes they get kinda heavy. Mine have lately, as I have vented here and there on the forum. It's kinda hard when you're disabled and sit at home by yourself all day 15 miles from anywhere and gas is so high you can't even afford to ride into town to the waffle house for some coffee and conversation with somethin other than a feline. Remember what I said though. That your parts are here and safe and available when you need them. Also too, I stand behind my original offer to help build the car. Find a way to get the ***** here and it'll be runnin in a few days.

I have an aluminum 225 /6 in my 1962 Dodge Lancer just dying to get rebuilt.
Due to some leakage from all the seals (from sitting YEARS), and some smoking.
But with it being so rare/odd, I wasn't able to find anyone to do it.

Not much special technique needed in rebuilding one of these. You need the unique head gasket and the unique rear main seal pieces, but beyond that, standard reconditioning techniques apply.

i'll cut you a hell of a deal on a complete 1976 225 w/ a 904 trans ran when pulled for the bb

Mike
i've been reading your posts ever since Rob and Greenhornet came up with the help you out thing i even donated a 904 tranny for your cause, i also think Rob would have that car up and going for ya if he wasnt so far away did you get your gas tank fixed? what other stuff is lacking on the dart to get it to stay running? i also see that your in gainesville is your dart there aswell that is a hop,skip,and a jump away from me as im in nicholson and if you want give me some gas money and i'll help you get that 318 up and running i understand life gets complicated at times but stay focused
let me know what needs fixed so i'll know what tools to bring
Terry

-
Back