170 Piston To Valve Clearance

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
@Charrlie_S what is your experience with piston to valve clearance on the 170? How "big" of a camshaft have you run, all hard parts stock? Since the 170 is pretty much a zero deck height, I was wondering. Thank you.

It depends (of course it does :) ). If using any aftermarket cam, I would check piston/valve clearance. I have never tried a "cam" with a stock head. My first 170 slant I had a head milled .100 and used a Crane S-264 cam. Was OK. Later tried a Crane F-274 (next size up) and Valves hit the pistons. I will have to get out some notes to give you the exact cam specs. I have never tried a cam with an unmilled head. The only two cams I have run without valve notches is the Crane s-264, and the mildest Mopar purple shaft. Remember it is not only the valve lift, but also the the valve timing that makes a difference. I don't remember what motor configeration I had, but one motor I had run for years with TRW forged pistons at zero deck, and 120-125 off the head, had made its own valve notches. Found this when I pulled the head. What they call "self closing valves" :) .
Remember, the 170 doesn't make a lot of torque, and adding a cam without raising the CR will make it worse.

Last edited:
It depends (of course it does :) ). If using any aftermarket cam, I would check piston/valve clearance. I have never tried a "cam" with a stock head. My first 170 slant I had a head milled .100 and used a Crane S-264 cam. Was OK. Later tried a Crane F-274 (next size up) and Valves hit the pistons. I will have to get out some notes to give you the exact cam specs. I have never tried a cam with an unmilled head. The only two cams I have run without valve notches is the Crane s-264, and the mildest Mopar purple shaft. Remember it is not only the valve lift, but also the the valve timing that makes a difference. I don't remember what motor configeration I had, but one motor I had run for years with TRW forged pistons at zero deck, and 120-125 off the head, had made its own valve notches. Found this when I pulled the head. What they call "self closing valves" :) .
Remember, the 170 doesn't make a lot of torque, and adding a cam without raising the CR will make it worse.

Exactly, which is why I said how "big" of a cam and not "how much lift". Thanks.

-
Back